Process to prep carbon fiber for paint? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Aerodynamics > 1st Gen - Aerodynamics

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
TSX owner

My Ride: TSX/2005/Meteor Silver
TSXiscoolikeice is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Process to prep carbon fiber for paint?

Hey guys,

I have a VIS RR hood and demon style trunk on the way. Going to have some custom paint work done on both. Anyone familiar with prepping carbon fiber for paint? Thanks

Sean
TSXiscoolikeice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2005/cgp/at
bluecarbonfiber , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.bluecarbonfiber , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

epoxy can be wet sanded to get a sticking surface for the primer then after primer you can paint it.. any auto paint place should be familiar with it

PNW TSX facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1399402250271467
bluecarbonfiber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 6-speed / 2006 / Black
Greyout has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Greyout has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Greyout has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

I'm not sure if this theory holds any water, but one guy who owned a body shop that did a lot of aftermarket work says that carbon fiber continues to cure in direct sunlight for a while. He suggested rocking bare carbon fiber for a few months, then getting it painted, it would have better results.

I have no idea if he is full of it.
Greyout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2005/cgp/at
bluecarbonfiber , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.bluecarbonfiber , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

depending on epoxy used it could take up to 3 days to truly reach its full cure (if they got there mixture right) after that a wet sand with a 600 grit is fine if you are wanting to do a clear coat or 2 part mix paint. Ive been making carbon parts for the past few months and i am speaking from my own experience anyone who says the epoxy takes a long time to cure is either getting there mixture wrong or using the wrong stuff..

if they used Prepreg carbon (dry carbon setups) then it should be fully cured after getting out of the oven and cooling down.

the VIS stuff you have is cured by now by the time they made it and it reached you then it should be ready for prep and sand so you can paint it..

not sure if VIS clear coats there parts or uses just an epoxy that is uv resistant plus a epoxy clear coat on top.. that something you would have to ask them.. people who make parts have different methods so its good to know what was used on how it and how it was made..

PNW TSX facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1399402250271467
bluecarbonfiber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX ASPEC
wreak , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.wreak , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.wreak , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Post pics!!
wreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement