Chevron gas a good part of maintaining engine - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Car Care / General Maintenance / DIY > 1st Gen - Car Care, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
mav238 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.mav238 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Chevron gas a good part of maintaining engine

I have had my TSX for 10 months now, and I have been using Chevron gas in it. The engine has ben running as smooth as it was the first day I got it. Also, the supreme grade is 92 octane, as compared with the other brands at 91 octane. Living up on the hill community, the engine seems to be pulling fine with no observed pinging.

But with other "branded" gasoline, such as ESSO, it does not seem to run as smooth, at both idle or under load.
Shell V-power seems okay, but Chevron seems to be meeting its claims in a "clean" engine. My 4 year old SAAB 9-3, after over 3 years of ESSO supreme diet, was put on a Chevron supreme diet for the past 3 months and it now is clearly running much smoother than before, and better gas mileage too.
mav238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emerita

My Ride: 2005 Acura TSX w/ navi
shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.shay654 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

I've been using Chevron even back when I had my 2000 Honda Civic EX! I don't know why, but I won't get any gas anywhere else but Chevron! And I admit, you really can feel the difference! Very smooth indeed! Premium all the way! hehe
shay654 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2005/CG
bibbyjai is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Agreed. My whole family have been using 92 at Chevron since the 1990s and I'm using 94 at Chevron for my TSX. Best place to fill the gas.
bibbyjai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.BlueTSX05 is a commander of respect from all.

we don't have any chevrons around here and very few shell or sunoco's. I usually just use the Valero gas and use 93, so far so good,
OEM lip kit / authentic MUGEN grill /Aspec suspension / Ingalls rear camber kit / g-games 77w silver / Falken 452's / Blue LED's interior / PIAA super white back up bulbs / PIAA super white high beams / OEM Fogs wPIAA yellow plasmas and yellow lamin-x film
BlueTSX05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

mav238 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.mav238 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTSX05
we don't have any chevrons around here and very few shell or sunoco's. I usually just use the Valero gas and use 93, so far so good,

I agree with your observations about using non-branded gas and not finding any issues thus far. But my experience with using gasoline other than Chevron or Shell, is that the first couple of years may "appear" to not have any effect, but following continuous use, you will find that the engine is no longer running as smooth and gas mileage will be not as good as before. The latter is most likely due to the carbon deposits left to accumulate on the valves, injectors and combustion chamber. If the cleaners in the gas is not potent enough and is in insufficient concentration, the "gum" or residue left behind from burnt and unburnt gas will be left to accumulate.

A "cleaning burning" gasoline is by definition, one that "cleans" after itself.
Note: any gasoline will form deposits during the combustion process (the combustion process not being 100% efficient in itself).

Just because a gasoline product claims that it has detergents in it, does not necceasrily mean it can "clean" up the residue deposits.

Thus far, although I initially had my doubts about chevron's claim, I now strongly believe in using it in both my cars to keep it running efficiently 9together with regular oil changes of course).

Chevron Canada for some reason has stopped selling across the counter, Chevron Techron concentrate. Great stuff, if you have a dirty engine, one bottle will totally clean it out.
mav238 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TSX 2006
Zeeshan , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.Zeeshan , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.Zeeshan , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

I get premium anywhere I can get it. We dont have higher than 91 here in California. I just go to whatever gas station i can find when the gas is low...lol.
Zeeshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

My Ride: Acura TSX 2005
Drunkenbuda has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Drunkenbuda has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Drunkenbuda has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Drunkenbuda has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Same here, always Chevron
Old 08-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TSX 2004 5AT no-nav
jcg878 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

My tsx is 3+ years old now using whatever gas is available (except Exxon) and the engine is as smooth as day 1 as well I use 93 since that's what's around on my coast.
jcg878 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

rbkhockey29 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

93 here as well. Most of the time Hess(because it is down the road from my house) But i will put anything in it as long as it is 93.
M3 Lip Spoiler
USA-spec Ipod interface
Kuda Ipod mount
Tein SS Coilovers
Progress RSB
Ingalls Rear Camber Kit
Honda S2K Exhaust Tips
Clear rear bumper reflectors
<------------------------>
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/TSX/2005
GrayTSX05 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

I always use BP and it's been good
GrayTSX05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
--Flyboy--

INeedACold1 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

I had a 94 Jaguar that I always ran on Chevron. One day I have to open up the head for some work (stupid british cars) and when I pulled out the valves they were perfect. 250,000 miles on the car and not a piece of carbon anywhere on them.

BTW: Maint. manual for it told me to take a "torch" to see inside the gas tank and inspect the fuel pump. torch=british flashlight=american I just wanted to hear about some dumb@ss that did that.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
INeedACold1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2006
mrgold35 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.mrgold35 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Sam's club 91 octane for me. It is usually .10-.20 cents cheaper than other stations.
35% 3M tint & clear bra + head/fog lights
Spoiler kit/wing, air deflector, metal trim kit, cargo net, trunk tray, Nav screen film & All season mats
350Z cargo net, dr edge guard & Acura racing pedals.
mrgold35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TSX 06
BAYAREATSX06 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Am I the only one that used shell? I have tried cheveron before and no real big difference seen, but I'm almost on empty today so I will experiment again and see if I like cheveron better.
BAYAREATSX06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: 2004 Acura TSX 5AT
ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.ChinchillaX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Sam's club 91 octane for me. It is usually .10-.20 cents cheaper than other stations.
same here!

Though I notice around here recently some Sam's clubs tend to match prices to nearby gas stations around the Sams vicinity and not give discounts to members as it should, savings maybe only 2-3 cents. However, if you drive further down the street the price at say a Conoco station would be the same price as Sams.

However, I get tax credits everytime I fill up at Sams Club, since the TSX is registered as my company car. I also buy my business supplies and stuff there too.
Born:4/03 Delivered: 5/17/03 Build:#00352

PoW!!! (x_x)O=('.'Q)
Matthew 5:11

Last edited by ChinchillaX; 05-23-2007 at 02:42 PM..
ChinchillaX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 06 CG TSX 6sp w/NAVI
GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.GeneralCho is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

Am I the only guy who fills up at Petro-Canada with 91 octane? At Petro you get 5.5 cents off and you collect Petro-points for free stuff.
GeneralCho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement