Serpentine belt change - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Car Care / General Maintenance / DIY > 1st Gen - Car Care, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/04
dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Serpentine belt change

Ok, before I start, I have tried a search, but couldnt' find exactly the answer I was looking for.

I would like to change the belt on my car. I've found the tensioner, and I know what tool to use to loosen it, but my question is which part to loosen? As I look at it, there are two parts to the tensioner, the main body, and the outer wheel (the part which actually tensions the belt).

http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/hbt0001.html

Both seem to have bolts, but I'm not sure which one actually needs to be manipulated to loosen the belt. I don't want to strip the one that's not supposed to move.

Also, does the tensioner need to be changed at some point? I had a friend who's tensioner died, and now that I"m in the know about that as a possibility, I didn't know if that would be a potential maintenance issue.

Thanks for anyone's help.
dedeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
iVTEC no koe

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Pretty sure it's a 14mm bolt, here's the scans:

Old 12-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.dedeman has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Yep, you're right, 14mm. The damn autozone guy told me it was 15 (when I rented the kit), it had no 14mm bit, I have no 14mm bit (for some reason, but I have 10, 12, 13, 15)

Luckily, 9/16 is pretty close to 14mm, closer then 15mm is to the actual bolt. Too late I've already started to strip the tensioner bolt.

I may have answered my own question about replacing the belt tensioner. At least I have the scans to do that (thank you horro).
Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

While I'm on it, does anyone know how loose/tight the belt is supposed to be while the tensioner is torqued? I could only get the belt about 1/3 the way around the upper most thing (power steering?) around the belt, and not nearly enough to loop it around.

This was supposed to be easy....
Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

FINISHED

You must use a lowlowlow profile 14mm socket. The kit I rented did not have one, only 18, 16, and 15mm bits.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: bmw/1996/green
Eddfetrwepol is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bardi

My Ride: 04 Black TSX 6spd
awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.awoc is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

Old thread, but to those wondering, I have one of these and works great!!!

Serpentine Belt Tool Kit

First ever one piece TSX short shifter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...tml#post755041
Ported and matched intake manifold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...tml#post723306
awoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement