Marvel Mystery Oil - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Car Care / General Maintenance / DIY > 1st Gen - Car Care, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
Not_A_Llama has a slight shameless behaviour in his/her past.

Marvel Mystery Oil

I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil as a gas additive for the last month or so - I'm really liking the results.

For those who aren't familiar with it, MMO's kind of an old timer's product. You can use it as either an oil additive, or a fuel additive. As a fuel additive, it's an upper cylinder lube, fuel pump lube, and has some injector cleaning power. It used to come in a little black/red can, though it's in a plastic bottle now. About $5 for a pint at Autozone.

While I haven't used it as an oil additive, and probably won't, the fuel additive aspect is what I can personally speak to and recommend. The instructions suggest 4 ounces/10 gallons - based on my experience, and research at BITOG, I've found that 4 ounces/tank is best for my car.

I've noticed that the car is significantly smoother, RPMs seem to build faster, and I've picked up between 1 and 2 mpg. I'm distrustful of my butt dyno, so I leave the power perception as "subjective", but the MPG pickup is sheer quantitative.

Also, it's often easy to get caught up in "smoother" discussions, but it's really very apparent in my vehicle. At idle, it's sometimes difficult to determine that the car is turned on. Also, I have a slight rattle in my dash that I call my "smooth-o-meter" , which is gone now. (incidentally, that same rattle indicates to me that pennzoil platinum is smoother than mobil1)

Some people on BITOG were concerned (on principle) that it could foul exhaust components, but there's not really any empirical evidence for that, and the Marvel company says they use very low ash components. I also have my own acid test, in using MMO as a weapons lube in my AR15 rifle - if I lubricate my bolt with it, it burns cleanly off, with no carbon deposits. Only 2-cycle oil burns as cleanly.

Anyway, it's $5 for a bottle, there's no harm, and I find noticeable improvements in my car. Give it a shot.
Not_A_Llama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2006/Carbon Grey
aznboi0204 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.aznboi0204 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.aznboi0204 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

This sounds like a sales pitch...
aznboi0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

They should pay me a commission. I've talked a dozen of my friends into it now.

Seriously, though, I'm in love. The stuff's been around forever, you get it anywhere, and it's five bucks.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2006/Black
elliott44k has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.elliott44k has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.elliott44k has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

wait so how do you use it, when you're pumping you just put it on before or after or what?
http://a.imageshack.us/img814/6914/0031.jpg
elliott44k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

Ok, so... you pour it into your tank before you fill up, so that it mixes well with your gasoline. I've found a funnel makes the job easier, though the bottle neck is narrow enough to make it work without.

The instructions say you should be doing 4 ounces per 10 gallons, which works out to 6.8 ounces (I think we have a 17 gallon tank?), but based on my research at BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy - an oil forum), lighter dosages are better for your fuel efficiency.

I still get the rev-able smoothness and quiet idle that I've really been enjoying.

The stuff comes in a bottle that looks like this:

Thought I might attach some additional documentation. Admittedly, the feedback is mixed (to say the least), but the product has been in the market forever, and I've found it really beneficial:
site:bobistheoilguy.com marvel mystery oil - Google Search

Actually, reading up some more, people that have used it either like it, or don't notice a difference. On a new car with good maintenance, it probably makes sense that you wouldn't notice anything. My car's about 44 kilomiles, and has been relatively pampered throughout, but I (as a trained scientist/engineer) objectively observe a very nice difference just the same. I'm also still noticing a very decent 20-30 mile per tank pickup in my efficiency.

I'm still kind of surprised nobody's ever used MMO before, TSX or otherwise, with either a positive or negative comment.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: AB/SL 2007 TSX NAV
cwo715 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

im jumping on the band wagon, been using this since 2001. A friend of mine had a 1999 M3 and a valve was sticking, after about 300 miles and running about 4oz of this in the crankcase, the valve freed itself up. Its pretty good stuff, use it in the gas and about 4 - 6oz in the oil when i change the oil and then 6oz when im at a half tank of super and then fill it up
cwo715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement