removing adhesive residue from visors - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Car Care / General Maintenance / DIY > 1st Gen - Car Care, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2006
limeybstrd is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

removing adhesive residue from visors

Any tips would be appreciated for removing the residue left behind from taking off my window vent visors. None of the double sided tape stayed on the car all of it is on the plastic visor.

Concerned as I do not want to use something that will tarnish the plastic visors. thanks.
limeybstrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
dynamite

My Ride: TSX/2005/SSM
donlad123 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.donlad123 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

gooo gone
donlad123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 1
Administrator/Moderator
Entertainment

My Ride: 2007 CGP Acura TSX
Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.Carbon is an elite leader who shall be acknowledged, respected and complied with when spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlad123 View Post
gooo gone

Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Marketplace
TOTM 2010

My Ride: 06 ASM
tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.

goo gone
tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
(: Daniel :)

My Ride: TSX/2008/ABP
sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Not sure if Goo gone will affect the window visors if you get careless and have it on there. If you wash it off any unwanted parts quick you should be fine. If you're not wanting to risk it another good option to try would be rubbing alcohol or witch hazel for them. Apply it on a paper towel or cotton ball and dab lightly. Warm water and scrubbing it off should help you out too if you do it in your tub and let it soak up for a while.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortudo7 View Post
Not sure if Goo gone will affect the window visors if you get careless and have it on there. If you wash it off any unwanted parts quick you should be fine. If you're not wanting to risk it another good option to try would be rubbing alcohol or witch hazel for them. Apply it on a paper towel or cotton ball and dab lightly. Warm water and scrubbing it off should help you out too if you do it in your tub and let it soak up for a while.
I guess what concerns me is leaving it on long enough for it work. Most chemicals and I assume Goo gone mentioned here require time to work I think? I never used it before so unsure.
I have an aerosol can of 3M adhesive remover but unsure whether this is OK to use. I couldnt see anywhere were it states not good for plastics.
Whatever I used its going to be a long laborious process. All the double sided tape is on all the visors.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
unofficial city snowplow

My Ride: CL9/2004/NBP
tsx_ott04 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.tsx_ott04 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.tsx_ott04 , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

you don't need to let goo gone soak... it'll work fine just rubbing it on the visors with whatever implement you choose.

tsx_ott04's Tein SS DIY (with pics): http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...-diy-pics.html
tsx_ott04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
(: Daniel :)

My Ride: TSX/2008/ABP
sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.sortudo7 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

You're not supposed to just spray goo gone on really. I would simply apply it to some old rag like a sock that you're going to toss. Rub it on the tape and it should come off little by little. You can apply heat to the tape too to make the glue loose and easier to remove. As long as you don't go overboard and soak crap up it shouldn't really mess anything up. It's not going to be a tough task, just tedious and boring lol
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

I trashed one of my visors. Used 3m adhesive remover, it melted it.

Anyone have a rear passanger side visor ?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
cYn
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Info Center / Car Care & DIY
TOTM 2014

My Ride: TSX/2007/CGP
cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybstrd View Post
I trashed one of my visors. Used 3m adhesive remover, it melted it.

Anyone have a rear passanger side visor ?
Waaaa? Pics? Weird how it "melted"
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. - Herbert Hoover
- The secret recipe to great tasting food is hunger. - Unknown
- The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering. - Bruce Lee
- If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton
- Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards. - Unknown
- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing. - Unknown
- If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Unknown
cYn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: tsx/2004/silver
mixedFRUITS is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Just did them to mine i just took some time using my nails to scrape alternatives may be a heat gun it helps separate the hold from the tape and the visor. And as carbon said goo gone but if you have the 3m 2 side tape it doesn't help since the tape is slippery. Best change is taking your time while watching tv and slowly peel.
mixedFRUITS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cYn View Post
Waaaa? Pics? Weird how it "melted"
As soons as I sprayed it on it melted the visor, started to go milky white and soft on me within seconds.

I immediatly cleaned it off and polished ( wet and dry ) as best I could. Looks alright now but not perfect. Hence if you got a spare rear one link me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement