On Synthetic, engine burning oil? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Engine / Transmission / Exhaust Systems > 1st Gen - Engine, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
PearlWhite05 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

On Synthetic, engine burning oil?

Is it normal for our cars to burn a bit of oil. I use Mobil 1 Syn, my car is @ 32,000Km and just did an oil change it took full 5 litres of the Mobil 1 Syn. Normally our engines only require 4.4 I heard that it is normal for our engines to burn a little bit of oil once on Syn. but how much is considered not normal?

And is it a warranty issue for Acura to fix if it is burning too much oil?
PearlWhite05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2005 Acura TSX
Brandon24pdx is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

That doesnt make sense. If you drain the oil completely during an oil change, it only takes ~4.5 quarts to fill. Are you saying the oil pan got bigger?

But seriously, the engine should burn LESS if you're using sythetic oil, not more.
Brandon24pdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
DBW sucks

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2006
IranBT is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Burning oil has nothing to do with how much oil you should put in a car. How did you even draw the conclusion that your car burns oil just because it took 5 litres to fill it?!!

On another note, the TSX should not require 5 litres for the oil level to reach the 2nd hole on your dipstick. If it does, then there's something wrong(either with your dipstick or your measuring)

And yes, it's normal for a car to burn a slight amount of oil. VTEC engines are very famous for burning oil when driven hard.

But that still doesn't make your TSX require more oil during an oil-change!
IranBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

That is true, its the mechanic from the dealership that said of this. He basically kept pouring and eventually he end up using the entire 5 liter jug. Only then did it hit the 2 hole mark.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2007

My Ride: 04 Acura TSX
ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ians is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

^^ he may over fill it! check it up yourself! overfill is not fun! And Honda will warranty your engine(rebuild or give you a new one) if you burn excessive amount of oil something like 1L per 1500km. But it is normal to burn some oil for high rev engine. Once you know how much oil a BMW & Audi burn, you won't worry at all
ians is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

If you overfill the pan when you change the oil (or top it off) the extra oil will tend to burn off faster than normal.

You should really check you oil level yourself every 500 miles or so.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TSX 06
Acurasrule is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Regarding burning oil, is it ok if I never burn any oil???

Everytime I have checked my oil, whether it be right after an oil change, or the day before I go in for an Oil change, the oil on the dipstick comes right up to the top hole.

Should an engine be burning a slight amount of oil?
Acurasrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acuratsx04
stagetsx is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

actually, there's no problem in what you saying... because the oil filter is taking some of the oil you put in. i do my oil changes and i experience that in my prelude and the tsx.. hope that help ya..
stagetsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
DBW sucks

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2006
IranBT is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurasrule

Everytime I have checked my oil, whether it be right after an oil change, or the day before I go in for an Oil change, the oil on the dipstick comes right up to the top hole.

Absolutely not. A perfect engine would not burn any oil, but engines are not perfect and nor is the way they're driven certainly.

If you're not burning any oil, then you are probably a conservative driver who takes good care of the car. Most of the oil burning happens when the engine is running in high rpms(4000+). On many cars, cold starts also cause slight leaking of oil into the cylinder which results in oil burning.

It's very good that your engine doesn't burn any oil. I would say for 90% of drivers, a new car should not burn any oil at all, but for the 10% who drive their car in a fun manner, a slight amount of oil being burned is the least they gotta worry about!
IranBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Member

mapandjlp is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

I've used Mobil 1 since the first oil change. Every time, it takes just over 5 quarts to fill mine ALMOST to the second hole. Can't explain it, don't know why, but at 60k miles, it's purring like a kitten.

BTW, ALL internal combustion engines will use a minute amount of oil. One that is in good repair (ie, strong rings and good cylinder walls, good valve seals) will use so small an amount that if the oil is changed at regular intervals, you'll never run low. It's inherent to the basic design of the engine. It is incorrect to say that an engine should burn ZERO oil. That said, when using synthetic, typically you'll drive further between oil changes so you should keep an eye on level until you get a feel for how your car reacts to your particular driving conditions.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Member

thanks for the reply mapandjlp, hearing you take 5 Litres gives me relief, so I am not the only one.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 05 Acura RSX-S
ascendotuum is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhite05
thanks for the reply mapandjlp, hearing you take 5 Litres gives me relief, so I am not the only one.
He said 5 QUARTS. That's equal to about 4.7 liters
ascendotuum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acurasrule

All cars burn a little oil past the piston rings and valve stem seals, otherwise the oil wouldnt be completely doing its job, but if you drive conservativley then its possible it would be such a small amount that you wouldnt even notice. If you drove it harder it would burn some more.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Member

oh i misread 5 quarts. ahh well, not sure how it was possible for the dealer to use the full 5 litres of the mobil1 syn but thats what they claim. Don't see a reason for them to lie bout that.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: several
dookie is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

my '05 consumes zero oil between 10k changes, and i run very thin (0w-30) synthetic. the car sees little time at high revs however...that's what the miata's for (not that it burns any either, also 0w, 5k OCI).
--33" AT's, 2" OME HD lift
'05 acura tsx 6MT
--JDM Kikkake style
dookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement