How to increase low-end / mid-range Torque? - Acura TSX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Question How to increase low-end / mid-range Torque?

Performance noob here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:32 AM
@dreamworxcarclub
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

Supercharger solves everything.

DREAMWORX FSOCIETY TSX

INSTAGRAM: @DREAMWORXCARCLUB

FACEBOOK: BRANDON DREAMWORX CHRISTOPHER

Track Videos on my YouTube account.
YOUTUBE https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWu...yhM2muyk1VpP0Q
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:15 AM
After 5-10 Guinness

Location: Hessen, Germany/Ontario, Canada/Louisiana, USA/Worldwide, Earth

Garage
Hi, what's your 'budget"? or better: what are your 'goals', where do you want to go/where do you want this to end?
Like bcp said, supercharger, but that will chew a rather large hole in your pocket/wallet. If you have to have this installed, add a handfull of dollars. Also: do you have a way to 'control/program' this s/c, and other hardware you may want to install/have installed - Hondata and programmable ECU needed!!
On the 'cheap/budget' end (also meaning of course less power gains, not necessarily torque only): 1) Get rid of parts that cause parasitic drag - Get a Lighter flywheel, lighter pullies, lighter rims, throw out the a/c pump (that's around 20 hp gain alone, but who does that, on a dd??) 2) Make the car lighter; get rid of ALL unneeded extra weight. ie tools, spare tire, gym bag, child seats, install a lighter/single outlet exhaust etc.... all the way down to throwing out carpets and rear seats, depending on how far you want to go.
BUT: Do not await any kind of 'break neck' acceleration, no matter what, s/c, t/c included! The TSX never was, and will never be a race horse!
I from my own experience have too close to or slightly above 300 n/a hp's. YES, you (I) do notice a considerable gain in power, but far be it from whiplash, and i would think bcp would agree that his s/c is a pleasant additive, but if these parts/changes were to be done to/on a smaller/lighter vehicle, the changes would be more noticeable.

Mounty

Try it!!! You only die once...

The best engine in the world is the Vagina;
It can be started with one finger. It's self lubricating.
It takes any size piston, and changes it's own oil every 4 weeks.
It is only a pity that the management system is so f....g temperamental.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Triple Platinum Member

Garage
I swapped in a few 09 tsx parts and an increase in low-end torque was the result...
ACC-Man likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 AM
After 5-10 Guinness

Location: Hessen, Germany/Ontario, Canada/Louisiana, USA/Worldwide, Earth

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuss2 View Post
I swapped in a few 09 tsx parts and an increase in low-end torque was the result...
Hey Feuss buddy. Of the parts you've installed, how many of these req'd the use of Hondata/Programmer for them to work to an Optimal?

Greetz

Acc-man

Try it!!! You only die once...

The best engine in the world is the Vagina;
It can be started with one finger. It's self lubricating.
It takes any size piston, and changes it's own oil every 4 weeks.
It is only a pity that the management system is so f....g temperamental.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 AM
@dreamworxcarclub
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

I agree with Acc-Man, get rid of parts that weigh a lot and also get rid of any weight you don't need. I doubt you will be tracking the car and need a lot of power. I would even say get some carbon fiber parts, helps with the weight and it looks good too. but I do think any car can be a track car even if it wasn't meant to be. I track my car a lot and have started competing with it. It's definitely a fun car to drive @325whp and 260wtq, with the car at 2800 pounds.

DREAMWORX FSOCIETY TSX

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 04:40 AM
Triple Platinum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC-Man View Post
Hey Feuss buddy. Of the parts you've installed, how many of these req'd the use of Hondata/Programmer for them to work to an Optimal?

Greetz

Acc-man
Once you make significant changes, you will need to change your calibration.

Theses cars do not have an air flow mass (AFM) sensor, so they can only calculate how much air to expect at a given rpm/load/cam/cam angle combination, then react to a difference. If the ECU is always playing catch-up, fuel economy and power could take a step backwards.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Tottenhams Guide to NA power

Do that ^ Except instead of RBC, get an RBB if you don't already have one. If you have an 04 and I think 05 as well, (like me) you don't have an RBB, like 06-08, but instead an RAA or something like that, that's what mine is stamped as anyway. If you have an 04 or 05, your ecu is non-programmable and you'll have to replace it before you can even think about tuning it. There's a guy on here selling 06-08 ecu's for $500. So you gotta spend $500 before you can spend $800 on a Hondata and then more money for the actual tune. Go to a dyno and spend about $1000 a day, or get an e-tune from a place like Vit for $100 each tune. All additions and modifications are recommended to get a tune to optimize performance. I haven't actually done what's in the link above, but I would say that's about as far as you can go without getting a tune.

Honda is great with OEM swaps like cams from the 09, manifolds from other engines, throttle bodies from other engines, VTC gears, you name it. If it's from a k-series, odds are it's interchangeable with another k-series.

Like what everyone above said, it depends on how much you're willing to spend. This is a heavy car, don't expect a rocket ship. Look at that link above and use it as guide to start researching. Specifically, look up differences in the manifolds. Then look into his other suggestions.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What parts did you install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp0715 View Post
with the car at 2800 pounds.
What kind of weight reduction did you do? That's close to 400-500lbs removed compared to stock weight.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:36 PM
-

So an intercooled turbo would really wake up the K24.
However the TSX engine compartment doesn't really allow a clean and efficient turbo install.

A belt driven centrifugal supercharger would also help.
More for top end HP rather than low end torque.
However, a belt driven centrifugal supercharger also doesn't bolt on nicely, without dumping the power steering.

That leaves the Comptech roots type supercharger.
Not the most efficient solution but at least it bolts on cleanly and is a high quality supercharger and kit.
But it's super pricey and you need the intercooler option.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (2nd resonator removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 12:47 AM
@dreamworxcarclub
 photo 15_zps17d8f38c.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post

What kind of weight reduction did you do? That's close to 400-500lbs removed compared to stock weight.
I removed a lot, i'll try to make up a list or at least a video showing what I removed. I also added a 80 pound roll bar and other added suspension sway bars. If I remove the roll bar I could possible get under 2700

DREAMWORX FSOCIETY TSX

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 05:28 AM
Triple Platinum Member

Garage
Quote:
Throttle body
Intake manifold
Injector base
Injectors
Intake cam
VTC w/ pin @ 40*
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp0715 View Post
I removed a lot, i'll try to make up a list or at least a video showing what I removed. I also added a 80 pound roll bar and other added suspension sway bars. If I remove the roll bar I could possible get under 2700
Yeah I'm really curious as to what you removed because that's some serious weight reduction. I wouldn't mind removing some weight if it's not to radical. I have a little 1900lbs civic with Hoosiers,LSD, and etc...that serves as the fun car, but wouldn't mind bringing the TSX up a few notches.

Quote:
Throttle body
Intake manifold
Injector base
Injectors
Intake cam
VTC w/ pin @ 40*
I remember people were talking about swapping 09+ TSX cams into the previous gen K24, but didn't know it's been done.

Have you ever dynoed your car?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Triple Platinum Member

Garage
Quote:
Have you ever dynoed your car?
Anyone want to donate to the cause? It's way cheaper and less hassle to find out this way getting these parts and installing on your own!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone want to donate to the cause? It's way cheaper and less hassle to find out this way getting these parts and installing on your own!
I was generally just curious, but I honestly can't see you gaining a huge amount of power with those particular OEM parts. Which is why I asked about the dyno.

Then again.....if you gained 15-20WHP from installing those parts alone it's probably well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement