Hosing down engine bay - what do I cover up? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Engine / Transmission / Exhaust Systems > 1st Gen - Engine, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2007 TSX CGP
supafamous is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Hosing down engine bay - what do I cover up?

Hi,

Planning to clean up the engine bay this week and would like to get some advice on how to do this right. As I understand it I need to cover up the battery and the alternator but I think the rest of the innards are all safe to get wet?

Is there anything else I need to cover up? And I suppose after I'm done I should leave it open to give it time to dry?

thanks,
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
long-term build

My Ride: 2008 auto TSX
MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.MMsTSX is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

if I were to do it, I'd do better than that.

I'd spend a good 45 minutes in there covering up anything that looked like raw electrical.

I'd over-protect things, there's no reason not to.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
flashprroooooo!!!

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2007
xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.xjohnkdoex is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...detailing.html

you'll have to be sure to cover any sensors or electrical devices. if you're unsure of what to do, then you should probably just find a detailer who knows how to clean engine bays and do it for you.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
From Nissan to Honda

My Ride: TSX/06/RBP 6MT
din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.din9lebeRrY is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

I'm against using a hose/water on the engine bay...jap cars have a greater tendency to rust lol. Some elbow grease, common sense and patience and you can achiece much better results.

Remove air box, strut bar, valve cover..(the more the merrier lol)

1. Wire brush to remove hard surface grime/dirt buildup (use on block)

2. Spray engine degreaser safely on block, making sure not to be near sensors/connectors. Scrub down with terry cloth.

3. Bucket of water to damp the terry cloths. Wipe down using damp terry cloths.

4. Finish it off with some engine brite engine detailer to give it a nice shine, use it on hoses (spray on terry cloth and give it a wipe, give the black plastic trim some shine, the engine bay itself can come to life..)

In my opinion, hosing it down really powers out the grime/dirt you can see..which you can remove without the help of water. For those areas that the water drips down to it will just cause long term corrosion.

Example of how this can be done in an hour or so of work:

This is my '06 with 64k miles. Pervious owner never touched the engine bay. 90 minutes of work lead to these results, again, never turned on the hose!

Before:

After:

din9lebeRrY is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
" It Is What It Is "

My Ride: break necks....
tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

I just use a microfiber towel and some water and it gets the job done depending on how dirty the engine bay is... just days ago I used some simple green and it takes all the grime out... I don't trust hosing the engine bay...goodluck
tsx4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 06 CL9 6MT PWP / Ebony
TACORICAN is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

I found this link that talks about how to clean an engine day. When I cleaned my accord, I ended up covering anything electrical. Its not that hard. I used Simple Green all over the engine bay, let it sit, scrub and hose it down.
How to Detail Your Engine Bay – Detailed Image
Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
cYn
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Info Center / Car Care & DIY
TOTM 2014

My Ride: TSX/2007/CGP
cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.

din9lebeRrY's advice is pretty spot on. You don't need to use a hose to clean the engine bay. I am at 64k miles and have never hosed down the engine bay. Wiping down the engine bay is as clean, if not cleaner, than hosing down the engine bay. Plus, it's a lot safer and no worries of getting water where it shouldn't be.

Besides, when you hose down the engine bay, it can make some parts of your engine bay "dirty". What I mean is that the minerals in the water hose could leave a lot of water spots in areas of the engine bay that you can't reach.
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. - Herbert Hoover
- The secret recipe to great tasting food is hunger. - Unknown
- The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering. - Bruce Lee
- If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton
- Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards. - Unknown
- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing. - Unknown
- If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Unknown
cYn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2007 TSX CGP
supafamous is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll start with the driest method first and work my way up depending on how stubborn the dirt is. The car was garage parked and has only 28,000KMs on it so it's not too bad.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement