Battle for next Daily driver....TSX, TL, G35? - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Battle for next Daily driver....TSX, TL, G35?

I thought I would start a, hopefully fun, conversation on what I constantly think about. First a little background. I am a car guy and I love to drive. I currently own a 05 TSX 5AT. I have owned it for 7 months, and have put 10k miles on it. So clearly I drive a lot and while a "beater" car would only "make sense" because of wear and tear on a vehicle driving that much, it would absolutely ruin my love for driving if I drove something I didnt love. And on the other side of the that, I cant drive a turbo car which I would love also because of wear and tear and maintaining a car like that.

Ideally my TSX is absolutely perfect and fits the bill for a comfortable, sporty, reliable, good mpg commuter car, BUT its still an auto. I am not one to keep any car completely stock, I enjoy making a car "me". But I also cannot justify in my mind fixing up this car because its an auto, I love a manual transmission. I also do not sit in a lot of traffic despite my commute, I travel early enough in the day that its not a big issue.

SO now here comes the reason for this thread, TSX TL or maybe a G35 sedan. (I do have 3 little kids so I need 4 doors)

There has to be a reason why you chose the TSX over the TL which is also a great looking and qualified car for reliability. And the G35 I just think is also a great looking car, RWD, and sounds AWESOME with some exhaust. All 3 of these cars are quite hard to find in a manual as well. But regardless, lest here some opinions.

Edit: if you want to reply with some other cool cars thats fine too, but keep in mind, must be used, nothing brand new. Again I have 3 little kids, have to be realistic. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM
-

For 1st Gen TSX's, the cars with an auto trans are much slower and total dogs compared to the cars with a manual trans.
They even don't handle as well due to more weight up front, smaller rear sway bar and, IMO, slightly softer springs and shocks.

I suggest that you trade your 2005 auto trans TSX for a 2007/08 manual trans TSX.
The 2007/08 m/t TSX are the best ones because of Hondata FlashPro support.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (2nd resonator removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I appreciate the recommendation. And 07/08 would be the most ideal I agree with you there. And I didnt realize the 05 auto was that much different, but thats the one thing I have not been impressed with, I have to be quite high in the rpm's to do what I want it to do.
The 05+ G35's are quite appealing as well. Powerful and reliable RWD fun.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Garage
There really isn't any extra maint with the 07-12 RDX Turbo compared to my TSX. The RDX requires Mobil 1 syn oil; but, I switched Mobil 1 for my TSX after my first oil change. The only extra thing I have to do is change the oil in the transfer case and rear diff 2-3 times every 100,000 miles. Other than that, same maint schedule as the TSX (rotations, fluid changes, filters, brakes, spark plugs, etc..).

The RDX is shorter in length for easy parking/maneuvering, takes 10-15 mins to put on a trailer hitch for cargo tray or bike rack, option for a roof rack, more leg room, wider cabin, waaay easier to fold down seats for large/long cargo, has better 360 degree visibility than the TSX, back-up cam, updated tech, sh-awd, larger 2nd row/cargo area, flat 2nd row floor for true 3 passenger comfort.

The only downsides is mpgs of about 18.5-20.5 mpg combined for my daily commute, 5AT can slow down the fun sometimes, and the ride is real "sporty" (which I love). The best I've gotten on the hwy was 22 mpg at 80 mph (+5000ft also).

I added the Hondata reflash for $300 to add 26hp/33tq and it made the RDX even easier to drive with a slight bump in mpgs. I later added ETS intercooler, heatshield gasket, K/N drop in filter, progress RSB, and Eibach springs. About 280-290hp/300-310tq with mods; which, has an added benefit of bumping up mpgs from 17-18 mpgs stock to the 18.5-20.5 combined mpgs with mods.

I've always been a sedan guy for +20 years and never considered a CUV/SUV. All it took was a few minutes behind the wheel, having a lot of TQ moments away, and the RDX is my favorite daily driver compared to my TSX and MDX.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Okay, so I feel pretty qualified to assist on this one.

My wife had an 05 TSX auto and I loved the handling but thought it could use some more power. I worked for Hertz at the time, and of all the cars in the fleet, the first gen G35 was my favorite. So when I could get a fun car for the weekend, I got a G35 6MT coupe. Loved the looks, performance, features and exhaust note (although it definitely sounds better outside than in, and also ironically sounds better in the automatics than manuals), but the gearbox was bad and the clutch worse. It really limited the fun of the car, and after electrical issues cropped up that Infiniti could not fix, I dumped it before the warranty expired.

After swearing off having two cars, 4 years later I once again looked for a fun weekend car. I narrowed it down to the 04 - 08 TSX and TLs in 6MT. Every TL I found (focused mostly on the 07 - 08 Type S) had significant repairs listed in the CarFax, almost no TSX did. Not sure if reliability studies bear this out, but that was my experience. I found an 07 TSX 6MT in my favorite color, drove 3 hours to see it and bought it. I will have owned it 3 years in May and it continues to amaze me. It is a COMPLETELY different car than the auto version. And of course, the Acura gearbox and clutch are unrivaled, and better than my new BMW 328i M Sport I just picked up last month. It is a shame that Acura ruined the style of the subsequent models, and recently removed sticks from their lineup. I will try to hold this 07 together as long as I can.

Hope this rather long post helps you. If you have any particular questions regarding the differences between the TSX and G35s just let me know.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. It does help me a bit. I do love the TSX, it does everything great I think. Obviously comparing the TSX to the TL or G35, in sure the power is a big noticeable difference, and of course exhaust sound is so much better than the TSX.

Comparing the interiors of the TSX and G35, which is nicer? More comfortable? More room?
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Glad to assist. The G35 sedans were slightly more roomy than the TSX, and the seats were definitely more comfortable. The power seat controls were on the seat, and we would frequently see things spilled on them at Hertz, causing electronic issues. Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

TL or TSX out of those options. Also be sure to add the IS250 or IS300 to the list
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Yes I cant forget about the great cars Lexus is making, though they seem to come at more of a premium. $$$

I think for my needs I am going to stick with looking for a 07/08 TSX. Easy maintenance, abundant mods available, good gas mileage, reliable, light and nimble, and comfortable.

But as you all may know, this is literally like trying to find a unicorn.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
ridiculously good looking

Send a message via AIM to tsx 2 nv
I too was looking at G35 Sedan, TSX, TL, and IS300 before buying my TSX. Here's why I didnt buy each car:

G35 Sedan: Gas guzzler (as are all Infinitis)
TL: Rear seats do not fold down (a must for snowboarding)
IS300: Couldnt find one I liked before I found my TSX.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Good reason to me. I have never been a huge fan of the IS300.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Isn't the 06-08 basically the same?
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Oh interesting, so the 04-06 have a different tuneable ECU than the 07-08? Is that the difference? Sorry just doing some reading.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkbyfaith View Post
Oh interesting, so the 04-06 have a different tuneable ECU than the 07-08? Is that the difference? Sorry just doing some reading.
I think the 04-05 can be grouped together, 06 stands alone, and 07-08 are grouped together. From what I remember, the ECU code for the 07-08 TSX was harder to decode and work on. Hondata had the same problem with 07-08 RDX -vs- the +09; but, they figured it out (mostly) and you can reflash the 07-11 RDX (not the 2012 RDX). You will get more benefits from a reflash on the 06 compared to the 04/05 because the +06 engine improvements.

I think you have to go with $695 Flashpro or $349 custom tune / Hondata basemap for the 07-08 TSX instead of the plug/play 04-06 $295 reflash. Some folks have done an 07 to 06 ECU swap; but, you don't get TPMS if you do.

I didn't do the reflash for my TSX; but, I did for my RDX.

post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I also looked at a Lexus IS250 6MT. Horrible engine and transmission pairing. If you are looking for an auto, I'd imagine an IS350 wouldn't be a bad bet.

07-08 TSX 6MT for the win. Awesome car, you'll find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement