tsx becoming less and less popular? - Acura TSX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nauticapinoy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

tsx becoming less and less popular?

Thought i would write this post after taking my tsx around a bunch of meets in upstate NY. i have been the only tsx to show up and any of the shows, which is pretty cool to be different and not have another si wrx or evo. but, where are all the tsx's at??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

The issue is that TSX was never that popular...didn't Honda only import ~166,000 1G TSXs (I don't remember 2G numbers)? That many Accords get sold in 6 months, Camrys in 3 months and F150s in 1 day LMAO

These cars were absolutely awesome...just not by general American car buyer standards...not big enough, not powerful enough, not gadgetry enough, not status bragging enough, etc. It was probably exactly the car 75% of population NEEDED, but not the one they WANTED.

For example, when was the last time someone with F150 King Ranch actually towed a house, hauled 2 tons of gravel or traversed anything greater than a Costco parking lot? Yet how many cannot shut up about how their truck has the highest ADVERTISED capabilities.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

You make a very good point, it's disappointing that they really never got the love they deserved... I personally enjoy my tsx more than I did my wrx.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

I've been on the fence to sell my TSX for over a year and have been looking at an STi or EVO. However, when it comes down to it I can't do it since I've had this car for over 10 years. Also I see so many WRX and Sti around here so I do feel more special. Glad I came across this thread to find new inspiration in keeping this ol lady
Collin_Palotto likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

^^^ Hell keep it! At this point I have owned all 3 cars and they are all very different machines appealing to very different consumers.

TSX by far from the quickest thing in the world, but it is incredibly balanced package that's a joy to drive. As James May puts it, it gives me the fizz...way more so than my old 315 WHP WRX or 350 WHP Evo did LOL And I agree that Subaru went the Toyota route in the last decade and now you see them everywhere.

At this point, I dread the day I have to sell any of my cars, including the TSX, because I know I will never be able to find them again (at least not without incurring significant expense first LOL)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

The tsx is a rare breed due to its high resale value. It's actually the opposite in my area. I never saw any tsx around my town. It was a rare sight if you saw one, which was usually stock and driven by a professional. I bought mine almost two years ago and within the past six months I noticed another two tsx around my area. The prices on these cars have to drop and when they do, you'll start seeing them more often.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathangel View Post
The tsx is a rare breed due to its high resale value. It's actually the opposite in my area. I never saw any tsx around my town. It was a rare sight if you saw one, which was usually stock and driven by a professional. I bought mine almost two years ago and within the past six months I noticed another two tsx around my area. The prices on these cars have to drop and when they do, you'll start seeing them more often.
This ^

I do want to make one amend tho, TSXs in *good condition have a high resale value. In my town I rarely see them (my town has a lot of audis for some reason) but in my area they are fairly common. You can pick up a 2004 with a janky ass interior and "needs love" on the advertisement for around $5000.

That being said a nice example with reasonable miles and good interior is more like $10000, out of reach for a significant portion of the young tuner crowd.

For some reason TSX interiors are fragile or something idk, all of the cheaper cars I see online have much more worn and ugly interiors with less miles than my 220k interior, which apart from the seats needing some leatherique, is basically new.

2005 Acura TSX (Carbon Gray Pearl, 5 speed Auto)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 AM
RML-R1
Regional Meet Leader
Vancouver

Send a message via MSN to Benz
The TSX has never been as popular as the other mainstream car platforms but that's why I liked it. Sadly, recently it did get more popular with the Stance scene. Those are the young civic owners who have matured a little and wanted something "nicer" and "luxury" with an affordable price tag to mod. I see so many riced out TSX now, its sad.

I will never give up, one day, it will be back on the road again...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathangel View Post
Yes and no. Resale value has not deterred the younger crowd from STis, Evos, S2Ks, etc which are not exactly bargain bin special (at least in CA). I just don't think they were ever F&F mad type uber kewl so they never cared to put in the effort to get one.

But as as business professional who puts on a suit and tie for work every day, I ain't exactly breaking the stereotype either LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The TSX has never been as popular as the other mainstream car platforms but that's why I liked it. Sadly, recently it did get more popular with the Stance scene. Those are the young civic owners who have matured a little and wanted something "nicer" and "luxury" with an affordable price tag to mod. I see so many riced out TSX now, its sad.
Noooooooooooo!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Garage
I purchased my 06 TSX new with 7 miles on the odo and now have +130,000 miles 10 years later. It has been routine maint, tires, battery, alternator, and a few worn suspension parts. Paint still looks good for living its life in the southwestern sun. My TSX looks almost as good inside and out as the day I purchased her and everything works perfectly. I see less TSXs on the road compared to RDXs around the same model year. I think it is because it is SUV/CUV country out here compared to sedans/coupes. The TSXs I do see are starting too look like 2nd/3rd hand me down vehicles you give to your high school kid to play bumper cars with (sun damage paint, dented bumpers, cracks in the windshields, crappy tint jobs, etc...). I handed down my TSX to my son 2 years ago when he turned 16. He really love this car and is planning to keep it after he graduates college. I don't see why it wouldn't last another 4-5 more years.

The only vehicle I can think of as an replacement is the 2.4L TLX. I'm waiting until 17/18 model year to see if the fix the 8AT issues, offer an Adv version of the 2.4L (cooled seats are nice in the southwest), and/or offer the Acura Watch safety suite to 2.4L tech version.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Not sure about popularity around here, but I still see a lot of them on the road. That includes the gen 1 & gen 2 TSXs. I just bought my low mileage 08 back in December, and I plan to keep it for many miles/years. IMHO, it's the "right" size sedan. Honda nailed it with the Gen 1 TSX styling, inside and outside. It's also very comfortable and efficient. Heck, I've even averaged ~43 mpg over 100 miles...then I hit traffic. I can usually average in the mid-30s rolling 70 on the interstate.

I'm not a fan of the styling on the Gen 2 TSXs, and think it was a huge step down. I don't like what they did to the fenders, and I freaking hated the fugly "big azz grill" that Acrua decided was required on ever automobile. It became practically the same car as the TL, and that's why the two were "merged" into the TLX. I think Honda discovered that mistake with the Gen 2, and that's why they released the ILX. They wanted to get back into that (Gen 1 TSX) segment they had grown out of...

No worries about TSXs becoming less popular. It's a "luxury" Honda sports sedan. Who doesn't love that?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

The TSX/ Euro Accords were always popular,but never as mainstream as a competitor like the Toyota Camry.

I think in some markets it outsold its arch enemy Mazda 6 .....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Around here in upstate NY you see a ton of tl's everyone and their mom has one, personally i owned a tl and hated it. However I agree with when i see other tsx's lots of them are beat/riced out with young kids in them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement