Acura TSX Forum banner

Advice Needed On Header Selection

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  kryngle 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. I need some advice with which header to get. I am also doing searches online getting info on ones that fit our TSX's. I have a 2008 Auto. So far I put in an Injen CAI, Progress Sway (rear). Its my daily driver and I'm just trying to get it to the level of fun and exciting to drive. I believe you can never have enough help and info when it comes to modding. I am calling on all the pros on here with this. I don't plan on racing it but I just wanna have a comfortable ride. Budget i'm playing with is $500-$2k TOPS but hopefully I don't gotta spend a lot. Thanks in advance to all.

#2 ·
Hello. "Just" replacing the header will net you "0"... I/H/E is where its at, BUT (!!!!!) you may not be doing good to your engine with that, if it isn't tuned, meaning a Programmer (Hondata/K-Tuner "Piggy back") required, which again means dishing out more..
What sir, do you expect from a new header??

ACC-Man

#4 ·
Alright then, on with/to the nitty gritty...
I had the DC Sports Header. Twas actually quite alright, by no means best bang for your buck, material of the flexpipe was not good, had it exchanged 2wice.
There are quite a few member here who have had good experience with the Comptech and/or PLX headers.. They are both about mid-range price class, good gains and the sound isn't going to rattle your plumbs..
Top-end, more for race would be ASP, Mugen or custom built.
BTW is your TSX a 2nd Gen. or a late built 1st Gen?? If you're driving a 2nd Gen. I cannot say if there are/were any fitment issues.. Apparently Comptech had issues with the first Gen, rattling against subframe/cross member.
ACC-Man

#5 ·
I got a 2008. What about an Hytech header and exhaust system with high-flow cat? But then again it's going to b my daily driver for a bit but I wanna have fun with the ride. What would be you idea setup for this ride? Just from your perspective.

#7 ·
Contact @littlebo user he can offer you either 4:2:1 header (better built than weapon R or PLM) or a 4:1 header ;)

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, we understand you "got" a (an) '08 TSX, but which chassis?? 1st Gen, more "Wedge" like form, built from 03-early 08, or 2nd Gen, more "Beefy/Bodybuilder" Chassis, built from 08-14.. Look up top, at the TSXClub Logo/Banner.. the Left, Right/far Right are 1st Gen's,, the white one, in the middle is a 2nd Gen.
You do not want to buy an exhaust/header that dosen't (don't) fit..
ACC-Man

Ps.: Sorry about the mis-info.. too many companies out there with names that are quite alike.. PLX (gauges, sensors etc) instead of PLM

#9 ·
Sorry for the late response. Its a first gen. Prefer it over the second gen. I just ordered the FlashPro so in a few days that should be on deck. Question. I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to a few things on modding a ride. Would it be worth it to use the FlashPro with just the Injen until I get the header (next mod)? I just wanna make sure I do everything proper.

#13 ·
Sorry folks. Been busy working on some minor mods while waiting for the Hondata to get here. It has finally arrived and now I'm ready to get to work. I have been playing around a bit with the Hondata and to be safe I wanted to get info from some of y'all that are familiar with it. Again, I'm not trying to tune the heck out of it but at least gain some hidden powers that exist in the TSX. Seeing how I haven't had the tsx for that long and the only engine mod I have is just an Injen CAI. The Hondata comes with some preloaded calibrations. In the pic posted shows a list of preloaded calibrations. Since I only have an Injen CAI on a 5spd AT 2008. Which one of these selections should I choose?

#15 ·
Hytech header + exhaust will blow your budget. It will be loud and over kill for you as a DD, but that's just my take.

Go with a PLM or WeaponR header to pair with your Injen CAI. Grab a 50* RBC VTC, and get the sucker tuned with Flashpro.

That should keep you in budget and be fun for a while. Once it gets boring you can decide on a single exit 2.5" or 3" custom exhaust for another 10-15whp throughout the powerband at the expensive of some much added noise.

Pre fab'd Aftermarket exhaust systems will not be worth the cost as they are all bottle neck to 2.25"-2.35" and provide very minimal gains. Custom is the way to go.

All of this is coming from someone who has previously had :
Intake + ktuner tune
I/h/hfc/rbc vtc/stock exhaust + ktuner tune
I/h/hfc/rbc vtc/3" exhaust + ktuner tune

Now currently on I/H/50* VTC/stock exhaust/hondata Reflash. Soon to be retuned on hondata Flashpro.

What is the difference between the WeaponR and the PLM in performance and handling? Any known issues? Curious on the difference between Ktuner and FlashPro as well?

Hey, no problem about 'late' response.. we all have lives outside of the Forum, no?? I mean, I am constantly online here, but that does not mean i sit 24/7 infront of the computer waiting to reply to threads..
"Green behind the ears' is good. You are willing to learn, and are asking intelligent questions, so no worries what-so-ever..
You get an "atta-boy" from me..!!
Ok, the Injen, in and of itself will not require a "tune".. You would "only" be allowing the airflow BEFORE your throttle to become better (Less turbulent), and louder (unresonated/sound deadend). If you do not change anything on your Throttle and/or Intake Manifold, the amount of air being sucked/drawn into the engine will not change.. The Throttle hems/controls this. You have an 08 so this means you already have a larger Throttle (64mm) than the 03-05's (62mm). Too, your Headers "runners" (Tubes/Pipes), your Cat and Intake Cam is better than the pre-facelift. What the FP can do for you is help reduce/banish the 'lag' caused by DBW, and you can lower or raise your v-tec engagement points. You can also raise your rev-limiter, but be careful here!! The TSX Oil Pump is only "good" to about 7500-7800 rpms.. thereafter it 'could' cavitate on you, not delivering enough/any oil pressure, which could be utterly fatal. I would not change anything on fuel trims just yet.
If you want more info on Intakes, Goforbroke (I believe that was the members Nick) and I had just recently had a chat about this,, It was maybe 3 weeks ago, so it should be easy to find.
There also a few other things you can change, in the mean-time, that will help your car accelerate somewhat better, no tuning required. Lightweight pullies are an option (Though there are different 'feelings' towards installing an non-harmonic pulley on the Crank, like the oem has...) and also your clutch/flywheel can be 'lightened'.. cost's a bit, and i cannot say what the single gains on this Mod is, because i drive an A/T.. Flywheel, ok, but clutch i have not, well not in that sense.. nothing to be done here (on A/T), except maybe 'gearing'..
So young man, I believe i have given you a few things to chew over.. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Most members here are more than willing to help, where possible..
Greetings
ACC-Man

P.S. say "HI' to my Mom in Midland, and My sister, in Mississuaga, for me would you..??

This is useful information. I really appreciate this. I'm new to the modding game and I am willing to learn everything there is about tuning and also wanna have a fun ride to drive daily at the same time. I'm a student in the tuning world so I'm willing to learn every bit there is. I myself drives an auto so I know that alone kinds of puts me to a limit. I have read in a few threads that you don't need to change the stock exhaust unless you want that look on an auto, is that true?

P.S. Your sis says "Get back to work" and ma says "give her a call"

I really appreciate this from y'all. I'm willing to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.