Acura TSX Forum banner

Installing igniter (D2S low beam headlight) correctly. Plz no fire or smoke!!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  goforbroke 
#1 ·
So after one year of running DDM bulbs, the passenger side light started to go out intermittently (but would turn on sometimes when switching the switch). It turns out the igniter on that side burnt up along with the part of the bulb it touches.

So i bought a new igniter for the pass. side (the driver side was good) and some expensive OSRAM D2S CBI bulbs this time. Installing the pass side igniter with the headlight assembly in the car was not fun.

I don't want to spend more money and effort again to do this so my main concern now is the igniter installation (hmm yea safety too).

I pushed the igniter in and turned it until it was "locked" and would not turn anymore. It seemed like that was the only way to get it on correctly (ie. not loose). But I have read some threads about people installing it "crooked" or misalligned. So far my lights are working correctly now.

#2 ·
Just went through a similar situation fixing my buddies 2011 RDX. The HID headlight wouldn't come on so I figured it was the HID bulb, or so we thought. After swapping igniters and ballast from each headlight and testing them I figured out it was the ballast.
Replaced with a new ballast and the lights work.

So......with the RDX you have to remove the bumper and entire headlight assembly to replace the HID bulb. There is no easy way around this. There is absolutely no room in there for your hand. I wouldn't half ass it or risk blowing anything by taking a short cut if I was installing anything headlight related, not worth the time and money.

On that note the bulb didn't sit flush in his housing either, so the igniter was at a slight pitch. Fully locked in and turned also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.