Would you say my car is totaled? - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Would you say my car is totaled?

I got rear ended today and I just want to know what other people think so I can start looking around.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

If the frame is damaged I'd say yes.

06 | CGP | NAVI | 6SP
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Daaaaamn man... so sorry. Most likely a write off dude, like this other guy said. If the frame is damaged.
I got into 2 accidents with my tsx, one when i was driving as a kid at 15 1/2 cause i loved the car too much.
2nd accident due to dumbass driver on a red light lol.

They tried to write it off twice, but luckily the collision shop was able to work something out. from then on i baby my car lol

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car; it's the one who refuses to lose."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Garage
It is only totaled if the repair cost exceeds the car value. Any damage to the frame can get very expensive to repair.

My kid had an accident with front end damage a few years ago on our 06 TSX. The air bag replacement, A/C condenser, and HIDs were the big ticket items (no frame damage). The USAA rep put the cost of repairs barely above the book value of my 06 TSX. I had a lot of extras on this TSX (Aspec suspension, aftermarket rims, aspec body kit, progress rsb, new brakes, remote start, brand new tires, etc...) and I didn't want to lose the additional $$$ value to me.

I worked out a deal to put the repair cost below the totaled out value and I would pay the rest out of pocket. I just had to pay my deductible and about $600 out of pocket to get the TSX repaired. My kid spent the next 2 years doing extra chores to work off the $600. It still cost me more in the long run because our insurance rates went up and I had to drop down to liability for the TSX. That was in Mar/2014 and the TSX has been running perfectly since (the kid still drives it in college and REALLY takes care of it).

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Garage
I would start looking for another car.

If the repair exceeds 80% of the value they will total it. I sell Honda parts wholesale to body shops for a living and fixed with OEM parts that is totaled.

The insurance company/body shop may try to use used parts and aftermarket parts to repair the car which may keep it from being considered totaled. If they try to go that route I would push for them to consider it a total loss anyway.

Good luck.

FYI just my guess at what parts would be required for the repair at List price which is what an Insurance company estimate would be at you'd be at $3139.28 in OEM parts before paint and labor cost. And I can't really see if it got the passenger quarter panel or not from that pic the reflection looks like it may be damaged as well which would ad more. I'm also assuming the car isn't bent underneath.

I can guess you'd need:
All 4 taillight pieces, taillight/bumper brackets, trunk lid, trunk lock, trunk striker, both bumper spacers, reflectors, rear panel, rear reinforcement beam, rear absorber, rear bumper cover, left quarter panel, box rear bumper.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

Ugh, really sorry to hear about the accident but you're sounding quite chipper about the prospect of a new car though! Haha! Check with your insurance company and let's see what you can get back for it man, it just might offset some of the costs on the new car. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement