Difference between valet key and regular keys? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX General Car Topics > 1st Gen - General Car Topics

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2007/6spd non-navi
ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Difference between valet key and regular keys?

I'm about to do the TL Switchblade key mod but I don't want to cut up my regular key. So I've been thinking, I got my valet key so why not use my valet key. I've been comparing the two keys and physically the two keys are identical, so I think. And yet valet key won't let you access your glove box, trunk, or trunk pass through. So how is that two physically identical keys differ in function. If anyone knows let me know

"He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it"

2007 Acura TSX 6spd non-navi.
Ding on the hood
ThirdLane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
fresh to death

My Ride: '04 ssm 6MT NAVI
psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

i think its because one key i thicker than the other...
psyk0tic808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not JDM

My Ride: My Ride
evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

the valet key is only to open the door and start the car. So if you were going to let someone borrow the car, you lock your glove box and truck with your original key, and give the respective person your valet key. that way they don't look through your stuff and creep through your car
Your enemies will tell you your faults, Your friends will hide them.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.
Robert G. Allen
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...9/ebf52e2d.jpg
evertp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.ThirdLane is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertp1 View Post
the valet key is only to open the door and start the car. So if you were going to let someone borrow the car, you lock your glove box and truck with your original key, and give the respective person your valet key. that way they don't look through your stuff and creep through your car
I know what the valet key is for. Just want to know the physical difference

"He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it"

Ding on the hood
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not JDM

evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.evertp1 is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

you are talking about the tan key head right?
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.
Robert G. Allen
Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertp1 View Post
you are talking about the tan key head right?
Valet key is gray in color as opposed to graphite/black for regular keys

Ding on the hood
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not JDM

yea grey, thats it. WTF was i thinking :S
Robert G. Allen
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
still plays with cars

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2006
nbtx , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.nbtx , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

The narrow guide slot on the valet key is slightly longer, maybe 3/32".
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

And its a bit thicker. Saw the difference just earlier today

Ding on the hood
Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
still plays with cars

nbtx , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.nbtx , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdLane View Post
And its a bit thicker. Saw the difference just earlier today
Check them with an accurate caliper or micrometer - both of mine mike at 0.099",
and both blades have a "V" stamped in the same place - so I submit that the
key blanks are identical with the only difference being the length of the guide slot.

On second look, the blanks are not identical - the ignition key is 0.040" thick
where the tumbler ramps are ground, and the valet key is 0.060", thus
the valet key can not be inserted into the trunk, glovebox or rear seat locks.

You could use the valet key if you had a precision mill to remove the 0.020".

Clever design Mr. Honda.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aloha Army

My Ride: Automatic
kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.kuma912 is a priceless value of the forum, and commands true dignified respect.

Why don't you just get the TL switchblade key cut?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like rice

My Ride: 2005 PWP
DanTsx is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma912 View Post
can anyone get the TL switchblade key milled anymore?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma912 View Post
Then it won't we a DIY mod I want to able to say when I pull out the key that I did this mod myself

Ding on the hood
Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
still plays with cars

see my revised post above ...
Advertisement