Acura TSX Forum banner

Problems with condensation inside car/windshield

11K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Master47 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the first time this has happened to me. I have a 2004 automatic tsx with navi. I have owned it for about 3 months now.

This past Sunday, I got into my car around 8am. After getting in the car I noticed an IMMENSE amount of condensation on the inside of the windshield. I begain to wipe it off and it was so much that the water started dripping all over the inside of the car. The entire windshield was covered with water. I finially got it all off but I had to clean the windshield afterwards.

None of my windows were down AT ALL nor was the sunroom open at all.

Has anyone heard about this happening? I called up the dealership and they said I need to bring it in so they can look at it. Thanks.

:puke:

#3 ·
I don't think we've heard this before (although if it was on "the other site" in the last few months I probably wouldn't have seen it). Anyway I'm pretty sure this isn't any kind of prominent or frequent problem in the TSX.

And regardless of what the weather was like, I don't think this could be considered normal.

Please keep us posted.

#4 ·
robert_tsxgeek said:
what was the weather like Sat night and Sun morning ?
I think this will determine how "normal" it is. It may be condensation forming on the inside of the car. Usually this will happen if the temperature in the car is warmer than the outside of the car. However, from the sounds of it, it sounds like there was more than what I would consider normal.

See what the dealer comes up with.

#6 ·
sjlee said:
I think this will determine how "normal" it is. It may be condensation forming on the inside of the car. Usually this will happen if the temperature in the car is warmer than the outside of the car. However, from the sounds of it, it sounds like there was more than what I would consider normal.

See what the dealer comes up with.

The air has to be quite different in temperature from outside and inside. The dew point of the air inside must be reached by the inside surface of the windshield. Was there anything wet inside the car that would cause an abnormal amount of humidity in the air inside the car? The dew point will be easier to reach with higher humidity inside.

#7 ·
The windscreen may have a leak or gap at installation, not common but definitely could be a cause. That's quite serious condensation.

Also did you have your AC vents sent to fire at the windscreen? If so, that may also be a cause. Since the vents still continue to release gases even when the car has been turned off. This is often the most common cause of internal condensation.

#8 ·
Noel's reply sounds like right-on, as usual.

About how this could be normal depending on the weather conditions: I don't think so. This sounds like more than what could result from normal condensation under any conditions, doesn't it?
Look at what he said: "It was so much that the water started dripping all over the inside of the car. The entire windshield was covered with water."

I'm all for cutting the TSX some slack, but not this much.

#9 ·
Master47 said:
The air has to be quite different in temperature from outside and inside. The dew point of the air inside must be reached by the inside surface of the windshield. Was there anything wet inside the car that would cause an abnormal amount of humidity in the air inside the car? The dew point will be easier to reach with higher humidity inside.
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?

Ive scheduled a service time with acura in boston to have it looked at. But if its very likely this was the problem, then Im guessing this wont happen again? What do you guys think?

#11 ·
Hazarrd said:
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?

Ive scheduled a service time with acura in boston to have it looked at. But if its very likely this was the problem, then Im guessing this wont happen again? What do you guys think?

Indeed, that sounds like the culprit. As the inside of the car is hotter from the day's sun, dusk cools the outside air quicker than the inside of the moist car. Since the air on the inside was hot, it turned some of that water from your floor board into vapor (humidity), which deposits on the relatively cold wind shield at its dew point.

If the water was on the seat, more than likely the perforated leather allowed it to soak into the seat cushion like a sponge. The dew problem on the inside of the car may happen a few more times before it's said and done. Basically any water that you didn't get out of the seat and/or carpet, you will eventually wipe up by way of the windshield.

#12 ·
Master47 said:
Indeed, that sounds like the culprit. As the inside of the car is hotter from the day's sun, dusk cools the outside air quicker than the inside of the moist car. Since the air on the inside was hot, it turned some of that water from your floor board into vapor (humidity), which deposits on the relatively cold wind shield at its dew point.

If the water was on the seat, more than likely the perforated leather allowed it to soak into the seat cushion like a sponge. The dew problem on the inside of the car may happen a few more times before it's said and done. Basically any water that you didn't get out of the seat and/or carpet, you will eventually wipe up by way of the windshield.
perfectly explained :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Hazarrd said:

Definitely. The water probably got soaked into the carpeting and seat, making it humid in the car as it sat with the windows closed. I'd recommend leaving the windows open (a little) during the day when it's warm to help dry it out quicker.

#15 ·
Hazarrd said:
thanks for the help guys :)

also...should i be worried about damage to the seat or floorboard? anything i can do?

Anytime you have a chance to leave the car windows open (when it's not raining) will help. Even at night in the garage or something. The worst thing would be mildew or mold that could set up shop as they are quite fond of moist environments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.