Problems with condensation inside car/windshield - Acura TSX Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 31
 
Problems with condensation inside car/windshield

This is the first time this has happened to me. I have a 2004 automatic tsx with navi. I have owned it for about 3 months now.

This past Sunday, I got into my car around 8am. After getting in the car I noticed an IMMENSE amount of condensation on the inside of the windshield. I begain to wipe it off and it was so much that the water started dripping all over the inside of the car. The entire windshield was covered with water. I finially got it all off but I had to clean the windshield afterwards.

None of my windows were down AT ALL nor was the sunroom open at all.

Has anyone heard about this happening? I called up the dealership and they said I need to bring it in so they can look at it. Thanks.


Last edited by Hazarrd; 09-14-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Hazarrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:00 PM
whatever
 
robert_tg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: CT/NYC
Posts: 4,377
      
Send a message via AIM to robert_tg
what was the weather like Sat night and Sun morning ?

------------------------------------------
2004 CG/Ebony Navi Auto
OEM Kit, M3-style Spoiler
Light Smoke Tint 50%/35%
TV-tuner, DVD-on-Navi, SNHOND3 AUX
Fr. Footwell Ambient LEDs
Optima YT D35
robert_tg is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus
 
larchmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Larchmont, NY
Posts: 10,086
 
I don't think we've heard this before (although if it was on "the other site" in the last few months I probably wouldn't have seen it). Anyway I'm pretty sure this isn't any kind of prominent or frequent problem in the TSX.

And regardless of what the weather was like, I don't think this could be considered normal.

Please keep us posted.
larchmont is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered Member
 
sjlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Berlin WI
Posts: 954
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
what was the weather like Sat night and Sun morning ?
I think this will determine how "normal" it is. It may be condensation forming on the inside of the car. Usually this will happen if the temperature in the car is warmer than the outside of the car. However, from the sounds of it, it sounds like there was more than what I would consider normal.

See what the dealer comes up with.

2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (desert rock metallic)
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (black currant pearl)
1995 Yamaha FZR600
sjlee is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 03:20 PM
I see dead people
 
Bababoosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 117
 
I get alot of condensation my windows as well, but i always leave the moonroof opened a crack, and forget to close it..... never had any problems like that though....
Bababoosky is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee
I think this will determine how "normal" it is. It may be condensation forming on the inside of the car. Usually this will happen if the temperature in the car is warmer than the outside of the car. However, from the sounds of it, it sounds like there was more than what I would consider normal.

See what the dealer comes up with.

The air has to be quite different in temperature from outside and inside. The dew point of the air inside must be reached by the inside surface of the windshield. Was there anything wet inside the car that would cause an abnormal amount of humidity in the air inside the car? The dew point will be easier to reach with higher humidity inside.
Master47 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:56 PM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus
TOTM 2004
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 33.87S 151.21E
Posts: 4,123
       
Post

The windscreen may have a leak or gap at installation, not common but definitely could be a cause. That's quite serious condensation.

Also did you have your AC vents sent to fire at the windscreen? If so, that may also be a cause. Since the vents still continue to release gases even when the car has been turned off. This is often the most common cause of internal condensation.
Noel is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:19 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus
 
larchmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Larchmont, NY
Posts: 10,086
 
Noel's reply sounds like right-on, as usual.

About how this could be normal depending on the weather conditions: I don't think so. This sounds like more than what could result from normal condensation under any conditions, doesn't it?
Look at what he said: "It was so much that the water started dripping all over the inside of the car. The entire windshield was covered with water."

I'm all for cutting the TSX some slack, but not this much.
larchmont is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 31
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master47
The air has to be quite different in temperature from outside and inside. The dew point of the air inside must be reached by the inside surface of the windshield. Was there anything wet inside the car that would cause an abnormal amount of humidity in the air inside the car? The dew point will be easier to reach with higher humidity inside.
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?

Ive scheduled a service time with acura in boston to have it looked at. But if its very likely this was the problem, then Im guessing this wont happen again? What do you guys think?
Hazarrd is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus
 
larchmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Larchmont, NY
Posts: 10,086
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarrd
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?
Yes!
larchmont is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarrd
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?

Ive scheduled a service time with acura in boston to have it looked at. But if its very likely this was the problem, then Im guessing this wont happen again? What do you guys think?

Indeed, that sounds like the culprit. As the inside of the car is hotter from the day's sun, dusk cools the outside air quicker than the inside of the moist car. Since the air on the inside was hot, it turned some of that water from your floor board into vapor (humidity), which deposits on the relatively cold wind shield at its dew point.

If the water was on the seat, more than likely the perforated leather allowed it to soak into the seat cushion like a sponge. The dew problem on the inside of the car may happen a few more times before it's said and done. Basically any water that you didn't get out of the seat and/or carpet, you will eventually wipe up by way of the windshield.
Master47 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus
 
TSX 'R' US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 8,663
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master47
Indeed, that sounds like the culprit. As the inside of the car is hotter from the day's sun, dusk cools the outside air quicker than the inside of the moist car. Since the air on the inside was hot, it turned some of that water from your floor board into vapor (humidity), which deposits on the relatively cold wind shield at its dew point.

If the water was on the seat, more than likely the perforated leather allowed it to soak into the seat cushion like a sponge. The dew problem on the inside of the car may happen a few more times before it's said and done. Basically any water that you didn't get out of the seat and/or carpet, you will eventually wipe up by way of the windshield.
perfectly explained

2006 Lexus IS250 AWD 6AT Crystal White: Nokya Yellow DRLs, 3000K HID Fogs, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, F-Sport Rear Sway Bar
2004 GMC Envoy XL
1999 Toyota Solara SLE 5MT
2004 Acura TSX 5AT (RIP 9/23/2006)
TSX 'R' US is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 31
 
thanks for the help guys

also...should i be worried about damage to the seat or floorboard? anything i can do?
Hazarrd is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered Member
 
sjlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Berlin WI
Posts: 954
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarrd
You know...now that you mention it....I left a window in the backseat down 2-3 days prior. It rained that night and the car was soaked when I got to it. The backseat right side had a lot of water but I got most of it up with a towel. You think that may be it?

Ive scheduled a service time with acura in boston to have it looked at. But if its very likely this was the problem, then Im guessing this wont happen again? What do you guys think?
Definitely. The water probably got soaked into the carpeting and seat, making it humid in the car as it sat with the windows closed. I'd recommend leaving the windows open (a little) during the day when it's warm to help dry it out quicker.

2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (desert rock metallic)
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (black currant pearl)
1995 Yamaha FZR600
sjlee is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarrd
thanks for the help guys

also...should i be worried about damage to the seat or floorboard? anything i can do?

Anytime you have a chance to leave the car windows open (when it's not raining) will help. Even at night in the garage or something. The worst thing would be mildew or mold that could set up shop as they are quite fond of moist environments.
Master47 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Acura TSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome