New TSX skid plate - worked! - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX General Car Topics > 1st Gen - General Car Topics

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
VP of Infinite Infinity

My Ride: 06 CGP TSX MT Premium
Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

New TSX skid plate - worked!

So I have the WS2 exhaust for my 06 TSX. And as most know, it hangs low. I've lowered my ride, and unfortunately where I live, there is an affinity for massive speed bumps and steep driveways. So I figured I'd use my resources for a piece of mind.
This weekend, I was able to help fabricate, install, and accidentally test a skid plate for my exhaust. I'm not even that low, but I drag my cat just getting into my lot while making the max diagonal entry I can.

I travelled 600km to Calgary for easter and car work, including grinding out my control arms to install Ingalls (what a #%$! - angle grinder + die grinder FTW) and rolling fenders.
The highways were very bad in the way of crazy potholes and other damage from winter weather, snow plows, and avalanches. Was able to get my wife fly off her seat several times on surprise dips-->jumps. (teach her to sleep on a 7 hour trip and not keep me company)
Finally in Calgary I got some 1.25" wide lengths of steel and had my cousin weld on the 1/4" plate armor.

Y-pipe:

Res:

Painted it with some black VHT flameproof.
The way back was worse... It was nighttime and visibility was poor. Traveling back on a divided two lane highway I encountered a lane wide section of destroyed highway. The section was longer than y car and was essentially chewed up pieces of road boulders. I was able to slow down to about 70 before I had to get off the brake and tough it out. There was so high pitch screaming, which I think was my wife, and then my car slammed into the mess. With a compressed spine I tumbled out of the car and checked for how much was mangled. Everything was still attached.
The next morning, today, I went for a good look. And now I see...

You can see the dent in the 1/4" plate with all the scrapes. Also was leaking water at the flange. If it wasn't for the skid plate, I probably would have caught the flange and left my exhaust behind.
So anyway, here's a custom skid plate, that did its job. Although my design was for minor slow scrapes!

IPhone Autoguide
|Apexi|Aspec|Axis|Comptech|Corsport|Cusco|Eibach|F astLinePerformance|Form&Function|J'sRacing|Hankook|Hondata|HIC|HybridRacin g|Ichiba|Ingalls|Injen|Infinity|Neuspeed|Progress| Rockford|Skunk2|StrutKing|Tein|
>aragrev7's Build Thread<
FS: RGB LED Illuminated Door Sills! *Rare* (Any Colour)
FS: OEM RSB, Radio Headunit/subdisplay
FS: TPMS stuff, Signal Cluster
Aragrev7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
VP of Infinite Infinity

Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.Aragrev7 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

And yes the welds look like chicken $ bc I didn't want him to use the cleaning wheel on the titanium powder coat. ☺ He doesn't normally leave wire welds like that!

IPhone Autoguide
|Apexi|Aspec|Axis|Comptech|Corsport|Cusco|Eibach|F astLinePerformance|Form&Function|J'sRacing|Hankook|Hondata|HIC|HybridRacin g|Ichiba|Ingalls|Injen|Infinity|Neuspeed|Progress| Rockford|Skunk2|StrutKing|Tein|
Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/07/PWP
geebra has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.geebra has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.geebra has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Nice, I have driven the road from Regina to Vancouver.

And I ultimately hate it from Golden to Kamploops, when are they expanding that to double lanes!
geebra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
VP of Infinite Infinity

The problem with expanding the highways is that they literally have to blast massive section of the mountains away. They've only done so enough for a single lane in both directions so far. Right now the worst sections are near the tunnels through the mountains going to west revelstoke, and of course in the avalanche areas.
My exhaust sits crooked now -_- Not sure how to fix that...

IPhone Autoguide
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Controlling Destiny

My Ride: 05 PWP
rubio95 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.rubio95 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.rubio95 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.rubio95 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

You're a superhero for coming out of all that in one piece. Great idea, great fab work, great job.
rubio95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
DC2 to CL9

My Ride: 2007 CGP 6MT
zigenx77 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Good job on thinking ahead and adding the armor. Sounds like you will need to taker her on a visit to the muffler shop to fix the damage.
zigenx77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
cYn
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Info Center / Car Care & DIY
TOTM 2014

My Ride: TSX/2007/CGP
cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.cYn is a respected community contributor of high levels and success.

Omg I totally needed this before. I went over a speed bump that wasn't curved and clipped the flange and nearly broke my exhaust. Just a poor design in my opinion. I had to get my exhaust fixed with a little re-welding and everything was great again. The Apexi WS2 is a great exhaust but the low design is annoying.
- I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan
- The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland
- Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. - Herbert Hoover
- The secret recipe to great tasting food is hunger. - Unknown
- The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering. - Bruce Lee
- If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Isaac Newton
- Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards. - Unknown
- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing. - Unknown
- If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Unknown
cYn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
I love my CL9!

My Ride: 05 NBP Navi
willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.willy18 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Great injenuity.
willy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement