Acura TSX Forum banner

The "Center Console Light" problem -> RESOLUTION in post #180

325K views 412 replies 171 participants last post by  lordste 
#1 ·
This is a problem that some of us have had, including Prolix and myself -- the lights in the "center console" being out.
First of all, let's explain what we're talking about, because "center console" is ambiguous. I had always thought the phrase referred to the compartment between the front seats, i.e. next to your right thigh. But it seems people are using the phrase more to refer to the central portion of the dashboard -- where you have the controls for the A/C, stereo etc., and where the Nav is (if you have it). That's what it means here -- the central portion of the dash. (Which makes me wonder what we're supposed to call that compartment next to your right thigh.)

The control buttons on that "center console" are supposed to light up when you have the car's lights on. Well, in a lot of our cars, at some point those buttons stopped lighting up. It's a real problem, because then you have to either just jab at the buttons and hope for the best (I'm getting better at it, but not much), or reach up to the ceiling and turn on one of the interior lights to see what you're doing, which is a pain in the b***, and also a little dangerous because of how you have to take your eye off the road and how it takes away from your outside visibility.

How many of you have had the problem?

And, if you've had it fixed, were there any "side effects"?
Like, I imagine they had to open up the console etc., and I wonder if that could cause RATTLES or anything else.

(I know Prolix was going to be having it fixed soon.....)

See less See more
#102 ·
Lights just went out today for me. Currently at 55000 kilometers (35k miles). The car is from canada, yet its now in the states. I'm going to take it to an Acura dealership, but will a US dealership honor Canadian warranties? Oi... I really hope this gets resolved soon.

#104 · (Edited by Moderator)
This problem is a big one ofr me beacuse they're out again at 64k miles dealership wont do s*** for me under good will...

I'm trying to come up with another solution so if you guys would direct your attention to this thread to see if you can help me shed some light on the topic

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13947

#113 ·
i had no luck - the dealership tried to get it approved by acura canada, but i was 2 months past the warranty period for the hvac component (3 years or 60,000km). i called up acura canada and they gave me a 'good will offer' of 15% off the repair cost, which is apparently $300 (not sure about labour), which is almost nothing. i asked to speak to a manager and am waiting to hear back, so no luck yet. this is bullshit, we should complain to acura canada about this issue because it's obviously a defective part and it affects a lot of 04 tsx's in canada AND the US regardless of the production range, so it should be considered a recall. I will draft up an email and we should send it around for people to sign and send it to acura as a complaint.

jasper

#116 ·
Well the verdict is in for me, I am shit out of luck. Acura Canada (Dave) told me to take car into dealer (Acura 2000 in Brampton) to get assessment done on radio. I was told they are swapping the radios out to fix this problem. They phoned me back the next day and said that "due to possible environmental factors, the high KMS - just hit 90,000 they will not cover any repairs or consider any goodwill for me. I am going to try and go higher but looks I am just unlucky it lasted so long.

p.s. the guy i know at the dealer said they just replaced a radio on a car with 83K and they only had to pay the labour to install it (about $90). Seems like the are getting stickier on this as they are encountering so many??

#118 ·
i have the same problem with my tsx (04) and its driveing me nuts at first i thought it was a fuse that went out but now that i read the post you lift i am going to the dealer asap ( question do you pay for the chip or does the dealer pay for it.) thanks again you saveed my life i love my tsx and thats the only problem right now with it

#119 ·
I just lost my center stack lights... they blinked, dimmed and went out...
I have an 04 TSX bought in March 2003... first day they came out...
must be a very early build... I have 27K miles on it but it is 3 1/2 years old...
So my first instincts took me to this forum...
I printed out the TSB but I don't know the status of my warranty???
Thanks for all the info...

The car has been pretty good so far...
I had one recall for a wiring harness in the trunk
I replaced my battery recently as it was getting sluggish
I had the brake vibration problem early on and switched to Axxis Ultimate pads and haven't had any vibrations since [and the car brakes a lot better]
I added the Comptech rear sway bar
I replaced the cheapy OEM tires with hi-performance tires... what a difference...

My only complaint would be the gas mileage as I average about 20 mpg only and I drive very conservatively... if I start driving aggressively it drops to 15 mpg very quickly...

#120 ·
oh, wow, I average about 25mpg - mixed driving. And I do drive moderately, on average. Sometimes I'm very subtle, and sometimes very aggressive. I think the lowest I got was about 22 (city) and the best was about 28 (highway).

But my freakin Honda Element averages 17mpg and that's mixed driving, and it only has 4K on it, so I took it to the dealer few days ago and they checked and said that there is no visible problems, so they told me to do a fuel efficiency test according to their required procedures. ANd then I guess I'll have to call Honda to make a claim number on this.

#121 ·
jjoanissetsx said:
Well the verdict is in for me, I am shit out of luck. Acura Canada (Dave) told me to take car into dealer (Acura 2000 in Brampton) to get assessment done on radio. I was told they are swapping the radios out to fix this problem. They phoned me back the next day and said that "due to possible environmental factors, the high KMS - just hit 90,000 they will not cover any repairs or consider any goodwill for me. I am going to try and go higher but looks I am just unlucky it lasted so long.

p.s. the guy i know at the dealer said they just replaced a radio on a car with 83K and they only had to pay the labour to install it (about $90). Seems like the are getting stickier on this as they are encountering so many??
I do hope they have a canadian TSB on this...im about less than 1000km before my warranty is out. and my car is not 2 years roadlife yet

#122 · (Edited)
Complaint Letter

Hi all,

I'm writing a complaint letter to Acura Canada regarding the center console light issue as I'm really upset with this defect and the fact that acura will not cover it for me under warranty as I was 2 months over the warranty period. I feel that Acura should pick up the tab on this, as many of you do. So to those of you who have experienced the same issue in Canada, if you have a moment and could help me out, please PM your name, telephone and/or email to me and i will include it in my letter as a petition, and i will also forward you a copy of the letter so that you can personalize it and send it in too - the more the better. You can trust that i will not disclose your personal info for any other purpose.

I also plan on sending it to the BBB (http://www.ccbbb.ca/cancouncil.html), the OMVIC (http://www.omvic.on.ca/), the Consumers' Association of Canada (http://www.consumer.ca/), and others.

Hopefully Acura Canada will hear us out and make this a recall. Thanks everyone.

Jasper

You can email me at otesrepsaj@hotmail.com

#124 ·
otesrepsaj said:
Hi all,

I'm writing a complaint letter to Acura Canada regarding the center console light issue as I'm really upset with this defect and the fact that acura will not cover it for me under warranty as I was 2 months over the warranty period. I feel that Acura should pick up the tab on this, as many of you do. So to those of you who have experienced the same issue in Canada, if you have a moment and could help me out, please PM your name, telephone and/or email to me and i will include it in my letter as a petition, and i will also forward you a copy of the letter so that you can personalize it and send it in too - the more the better. You can trust that i will not disclose your personal info for any other purpose.

I also plan on sending it to the BBB (http://www.ccbbb.ca/cancouncil.html), the OMVIC (http://www.omvic.on.ca/), the Consumers' Association of Canada (http://www.consumer.ca/), and others.

Hopefully Acura Canada will hear us out and make this a recall. Thanks everyone.

Jasper

I may take you up on that should I end up purchasing an 04 and have the same issue (fingers crossed). I know a couple cars I looked at already had the issue done under warrenty.

So, has it been the consensus that this was an issue that affected only 04 models, or do early 05 models suffer from it as well? My curiosity is whether it is a time thing (as car gets older) and not a specific year thing.

this should be a recall, however I had worse issues (cronic brake problems and water pump imploding) on ford cars to which a recall was never issued.
I find honda is especially reluctant to issue recalls and read somewhere that they quite often have more issues than the public knows due to this. I know our 98 accord is a car that many others have had tranny issues with (5 sp)

Thanks!
Rich

#125 ·
otesrepsaj said:
Hi all,

Jasper

Why don't you ask Honda what form of complaints they evaluate. If it can be in a form of a forum thread, then you can also add this link to your petition. Or we can also make a separate thread where only ppl affected by this problem (that had or did not have it fixed) would make a post confirming it. That could bring a better feedback than just the letters.

#126 ·
Peregrine said:
Why don't you ask Honda what form of complaints they evaluate. If it can be in a form of a forum thread, then you can also add this link to your petition. Or we can also make a separate thread where only ppl affected by this problem (that had or did not have it fixed) would make a post confirming it. That could bring a better feedback than just the letters.
:sprint:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.