Acura TSX Forum banner

Battery light came on for less than a minute and then went off

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  btibayan 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I was wondering if you would happen to have any answer for what happened to my car like 2 weeks ago. So I was driving my 07 acura tsx for like an hour and then from all of the sudden the battery icon came on the dashboard and also a big red battery icon came on my MID as well, it only stayed for like a minute and then disappeared. At that point I thought my battery was dying on me. But I went to a bar, had a drink, and after like 2 hours I came back to my car and started without a problem, the same at the next day, so til now that has never happened again, but I had the battery checked a couple of days ago and according to the guys the battery was fine and they were assuming that I needed to replace the alternator, so now my concern is if I should really replace it or not cuz I've heard they should last at least 15 years, so I don't know what to do or what to check on my car, and whats weird is that i didnt get the "check charging system" message... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks. My car is fully stock and I bought it like a month ago by the way.

#3 ·
I had a similar problem with my RDX. It turned out the alternator wasn't putting out enough volts to run the RDX and charge the battery. The engine was stealing power from the battery to make up for the failing alternator. Eventually, the RDX would die when the voltage got too low to run the car. Once you have one dead battery, it never seems to bounce back to normal. I would double-check the battery, alternator and electrical system to make sure you can fix before you are left stranded.

#4 ·
I would have to agree with the previous two posts.

I had a similar situation which I ignored until it finally gave up. I ended up testing the battery, which passed, and recharging it. Afterwards, I finally got the "check charging system" message and replaced the alternator. A year later, no issues.

There is a how to on replacing the alternator which is pretty straight forward for anyone who has turned a wrench.

#5 ·
I've got just over 171k and I've recently been experiencing the infrequent check battery indicator. I've already had my battery and alternator replaced so I'm completely baffled by this one. Any recommendations on what I can check? My battery ground looks pretty corroded, could that cause the prob?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.