Acura TSX Forum banner

Power Steering Pump Problem

26K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JohnMark 
#1 ·
Longtime lurker, first time poster here. About a week ago, my car started making a sound coming from the serpentine belt area. I didn't have much time to investigate it, so I let it go. The noise has gotten progressively worse. Yesterday I opened up the hood and found the power steering pump has been leaking all over the place. I have included three videos: the sound a week ago, the sound yesterday, and the pump leak yesterday.

Videos:
Sound a week ago:
Sound yesterday:
Pump leak yesterday :

Two questions:
1. Do you guys suggest a new pump or rebuild it with the seals from the dealer?
2. Will the belt need to be replaced or can it probably just be taken off and cleaned?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
If your sure it the pump I would just replace it and replace the belt with a new one. The last video it looks like a bolt is lose by the alternator ?

#3 ·
I am not 100% positive it is the pump. It just really seems like the sound is coming from the pump and it is leaking. Does that leak not look bad? I assume the leak is getting on the belt and making the sound. Thanks for pointing out that bolt. I will check on it when I open the hood again.

If it is not the pump, what else should I check?

#4 ·
If it not the pump you can get some new seals to fix the leaks. You can check the auto belt tensioner. The bearings on the pulley do go bad.

#5 ·
On another make and model I had when the PS pump leaked onto the belt and i had it replaced, my alternator pulley started slipping with the new belt and I had battery issues until I replaced the belt a second time and got the other pulleys cleaned. So I'd recommend having the other pulleys inspected and cleaned when you pull the PS pump for service / replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I had a similar issue with my TSX and I replaced the O-ring that goes into the power steering pump. I refilled the power steering reservoir with the OEM PS fluid and monitored it for a few weeks. If you still have the issue then you'll probably have to replace the power steering pump itself. FYI, the link above is to Acura Zine.

#9 ·
Also to add, that the recall for Power Steering only applies to the states. There was no recall in canada for the hose

#10 ·
Do you have any details of the power steering recall? I just went in for an A1 service with 134,000 miles on odo and they said my power steering pump was leaking. They gave me two replacement options of $1000 for new or $550 aftermarket (found used for $101 from an 08 TSX with 74,000 miles on eBay). I remember the recall on the power steering hose; but, not for the power steering unit.

#16 ·
Just to bring the thread starter to a conclusion: I spent around $15 on a rebuild seal and oring kit from eBay. I had hard steering after the rebuild like the power steering was gone. This would happen about 4 minutes of driving. I believe I got some brakes cleaner or other contaminant into the steering fluid. I flushed the whole system and refilled with prestone steering fluid make for Hondas/acuras. Been steering/running like a champ ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.