Cylinder 2 misfire P0302 - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Cylinder 2 misfire P0302

I have an 05 6spd stick with 110K. I've had the car since 25K and it has always been very reliabl, aside from having to replace both front lock actuators and the airbag light sometimes staying lit.

Wednesday evening I started up the car and right away I could tell something was wrong with the idle. It had been sitting for about 3-4hrs since my last drive and I had no indication of a problem. I drove down my street but almost immediately the CEL came on and continued blinking so I turned around and parked it until Friday when I could get a scan tool to read the code.

When I started it up to read the code it had the same idle problem and the CEL continued to flash. I got a Misfire on Cylinder 2 P0302 reading. It also smelled like I had unbearnt gas in the exhaust.

From other discussions it seems like it is likely to be a bad coil but since they are so expensive I'd like to know the best way to determine if that really is the problem.

Also, would you change all the spark plugs at this point? Or is that just inviting one of the other coils to fail?

Lastly, since the Honda OE coils are so expensive but seem to last the longest, where would you suggest I look to get the best price on a genuine coil if that's what it turns out to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Swap a known good coil from another cylinder to cyl 2. If the problem follows the coil to another cylinder that usually indicates that coil is bad. I have used coils from Rock auto with no problems.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

I cleared the code and switched the cylinder 2 and 1 coils. After starting it up it still had a rough idle but no code. Luckily after driving for about a minute I got it to throw a code and saw that it had now moved to cylinder 1 (P0301).

I ordered a set of 4 plugs and a coil for $75 that are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that will be a quick and long term fix.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

OK, parts came today. Delphi GN10370 fits the same but instead of a metal connector cup that contacts the top of the spark plug, it is a coil spring. Hopefully this does not mean it is going to give out early.

Changed out the 4 NGK plugs at the same time since I've hit 111k.

Upon starting, everything was back to normal. I cleared the code and when I scanned again I had a "pending" cylinder 1 misfire code (no CEL on the dash).

I cleared again and drove around. Everything seemed fine. Scanned again and still got the "pending" notice for Cylinder 1.

I switched cylinder 4 coil with cylinder 1 coil and continued to get the same pending issue.

So for now I will call it fixed and see if the pending issue clears itself over time.

I bought the BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD2 sensor and iPhone app. It seems to work well but I'm not sure what the whole "pending code" thing means. I guess I have to do more research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement