Car battery replaced with Optima RT 75/35 (Detailed Pictures) - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX Problems and Fixes > 1st Gen - Problems and Fixes

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

My Ride: Acura TSX 2005
bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Car battery replaced with Optima RT 75/35 (Detailed Pictures)

Model Number 75/86DT

I doubt anyone needs this, but for those people who are afraid to screw up. Please do feel free to add more and correct me if I am wrong. Also I wanted to show off my clean engine bay.

Brand spanking new battery from Costco ($140+tax CAD). Walmart sells it for $180+tax.

First of all, remove both the trays from the top of the battery. Check to see if you have the correct battery.

Old engine bay battery, still strapped on.

Put a cloth over the negative terminal before starting any work! Put on rubber gloves. Lift the positive battery terminal and then untighten the bolt that clamps the wires to the positive terminal. (10mm socket) Then remove, put the cloth on the +terminal, then untighten the negative and remove.

Next, use the 10mm socket to untighten the clamp holding the power, you should be able to just take it out afterwards.

Take the whole battery out (including bottom tray), so what you see is a white surface (if you own a PWP). COVER BOTH TERMINALS WITH CLOTH or something that doesn't transfer electricity.

The top piece of the battery splits into two pieces, take the larger piece and put it on the bottom of the battery to make it taller (it clamps in). Then place the battery on the battery bay. Put the holder on and tighten both of the pieces until you cannot move the battery! (My socket set was very shallow, deep socket is recommended) This is also where the extra height of the tray on the battery helps. The battery should fit relative flush against the battery bay and the clamp edges should just about hold the battery in place, once you tighten the screws on the battery holder, it becomes a tight fit. Make 100% sure.

Lube up the positive and negative terminal with grease --- AGAIN LUBE THEM UP INDIVIDUALLY and place a cloth on the terminal not being used.

Once you have it clamped down, remove the (-)terminal plastic knob and put the (-)wire clamp on the (-)terminal. Then use the 10mm socket to tighten the (-)wire clamp on the (-)terminal. Remove the RED (+)terminal rubber knob and put it on the old battery. Then place the (+)wire clamp on the (+)terminal and tighten it with the 10mm socket.

This was a very easy installation. But it could potentially be very dangerous, always be careful, always cover the negative terminal or positive terminal or both when working with the battery. Always wear gloves that do not transfer electricity. Always ALWAYS check twice. After driving for a bit, remember to check if the battery still sits flush.

Note: Car started beautifully, no struggles.

Thanks chuson for the advice/help!

EDIT: I just realized I don't have any photos of the completed battery bay. I will take a picture after work today and post it up by tonight.

Quote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Car-Battery

You should never connect the two battery terminals directly.

Don't Leave any metal objects on the battery as the two terminals might be connected, making a circuit.

It is illegal to throw a used battery in the garbage. You must return it to a store (often for a refund of the "Core" charge) or to a recycling center.

Do not spray the lithium grease on any other parts of the engine block other than the positive and negative terminals.

Do not allow any automotive battery to turn on its side or upside down.

If you wear any rings, remove them or cover them with electrical tape or latex gloves before working on electrical systems. Even a depleted battery can deliver enough current to melt a gold ring, which would result in serious injury.

Do not allow the used battery to come into contact with your clothes. If you do, two or three wash cycles later, holes will appear in clothes from where the acid has eaten through them. To be on the safe side, wear a disposable apron or old clothes you intend to discard soon.

Always wear eye protection and gloves.
bluexcrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: TSX/NAVI/05/GP
narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Nice write up.

Quick question...how do you think the batter would fit it the stock intake box was in there instead of a CAI? It looks like the batter brushes up against the CAI.

Also, I now the tie down doesn't exactly fit because of the groove. You think it's possible to buy a TL battery tie down and it would fit since the TL uses a 35 battery too?

I was also looking at the 2006 Accord V6 batter tray, it's a 35 size too. Just not sure of the shape. You might have to cut it to make it flat like the TSX tray.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

Last edited by narci; 05-22-2008 at 03:36 AM..
narci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Ride: 2007 TSX MT
Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Age is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

IIRC the TSX uses group 51R size batteries. I got a CT icebox so I think I will need to stay with the OEM size instead of getting a larger battery.

Nice write up. Is there a particular type of grease that should be used with batteries?

Matthew 5:16
Age is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus
TOTM 2005

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330 xi ; 2004 Acura TSX (Retired)
MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.MemphisRheins is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

Battery tray wont fit regardless, its got a shimmy to it with the stock tie down, Personally I just cut out a small section of scrap metal, and drilled two holes in it to keep it down secure.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen, LeMans 1971
MemphisRheins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Nice write up.

Quick question...how do you think the batter would fit it the stock intake box was in there instead of a CAI? It looks like the batter brushes up against the CAI.

Also, I now the tie down doesn't exactly fit because of the groove. You think it's possible to buy a TL battery tie down and it would fit since the TL uses a 35 battery too?

I was also looking at the 2006 Accord V6 batter tray, it's a 35 size too. Just not sure of the shape. You might have to cut it to make it flat like the TSX tray.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

The marks on the CAI are from my hands :P there is room between the battery and the CAI. I will give u a specific measurement after work, to see if it will fit the stock airbox.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter, as long as you use the thicker plastic support that comes with it the battery sits very tightly against the battery bay. Even the plastic OEM battery tray doesn't do a whole lot to lock the stock battery in place. The main device that holds down the battery is the clamp included, make sure that is tight and the battery won't move. I checked twice, last night after a quick drive and this morning @ work. The battery has not shifted. If you are still paranoid, I would tie down the battery using plastic ties on the bottom (but due to the weigh of the battery, I doubt plastic ties would be helpful).

edit - Regarding your comment about using a bigger battery tray, you have to use the larger support base that comes with the Optima RT to make it slightly taller so the clamp can get a firm hold on the battery (unless you have super deep sockets ~ 3 inches deep). The plastic support is slightly wider than the battery... there you go, a plastic tray

edit - the plastic tray that comes with the Optima sits relatively flush against the bottom of the battery bay. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery slipping, just put the plastic nonslip piece that comes with the stock battery on the bottom of the Optima. (Seen in picture #5 on top of the stock battery)
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age View Post
IIRC the TSX uses group 51R size batteries. I got a CT icebox so I think I will need to stay with the OEM size instead of getting a larger battery.

Nice write up. Is there a particular type of grease that should be used with batteries?
White petroleum jelly is fine. Stay away from Lithium grease, but it works also.

EDIT: lithium grease is a nonconductor. It is used to libricate our door hinges.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisRheins View Post
Battery tray wont fit regardless, its got a shimmy to it with the stock tie down, Personally I just cut out a small section of scrap metal, and drilled two holes in it to keep it down secure.
Yep, the battery tray is actually a cheap piece of plastic. Its similar to those plastic gardening trays you get when you buy 4 or more small plants. Its the tray with the slots that you can put small plants into, very cheap plastic. The battery does not fit the tray, the tray also has a piece of non-slip plastic? at the bottom that you can remove and put underneath the Optima. Other that that, the Optima is a tight fit.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 05 TSX 6MT
afici0nad0 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.afici0nad0 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.afici0nad0 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.afici0nad0 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

beautiful
afici0nad0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not A MOD3RATOR

My Ride: 2005 Acura TSX 5AT
chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.chuson is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

Nice~! You finally got your RT, I got the 75/35 @ Costco too and it never die on me during the winter. Congrats.

The 75/35 is slightly bigger than 51R group battery, however, as Micah mentioned, it fits perfectly for those who had CAI. It might be too tight for stock airbox, but it doesn't bother me @ all. This battery also provides higher CCA than 51R, best use in Canada harsh winter weather.

I also put the OEM non-slip plastic mat under the Optima Battery tray so it sits right there without moving. OEM battery tie down is tight too, P2R battery tie down MIGHT fit as suggested by our vendor.

Why does the terminal needs gease??? I'm a noob and I didn't put any there, please advice.

PERFORMANCE: Injen l DC Sports l Magnaflow l Greddy l UR l Sun Automobile l P2R l BPi l 06 IM+TB @ 71mm l

HANDLING: Cusco l Progress l Eibach l BuddyClub l
BRAKE: RacingBrake l Hawks l Motul
EXTERIOR: MUGEN l WEDS l Yokohama

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ntYorkdale.jpg
chuson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuson View Post
Nice~! You finally got your RT, I got the 75/35 @ Costco too and it never die on me during the winter. Congrats.

The 75/35 is slightly bigger than 51R group battery, however, as Micah mentioned, it fits perfectly for those who had CAI. It might be too tight for stock airbox, but it doesn't bother me @ all. This battery also provides higher CCA than 51R, best use in Canada harsh winter weather.

I also put the OEM non-slip plastic mat under the Optima Battery tray so it sits right there without moving. OEM battery tie down is tight too, P2R battery tie down MIGHT fit as suggested by our vendor.

Why does the terminal needs gease??? I'm a noob and I didn't put any there, please advice.
When you connect the + and - terminals, there's always a point of contact that will create a spark that will create a spike on the circuit. Due to the power jumping from the battery to the clamps when you are about to connect it. By putting grease onto the + and - terminals you reduce the spike. Have you noticed that sometimes in some plugs your wires turn black or gets fried? It's due to the surge in power and the heat that is generated. Also the grease prevents rust and corrosion.

Chuson, if you are a noob, then I am your apprentice. haha
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
" It Is What It Is "

My Ride: break necks....
tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.tsx4life is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

great
tsx4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

I think i'm just gonna go with the 51R Kirkland battery rated at 600CCA from costco. It's like $69.99 CDN.

Highest CCA in a 51R battery size I can find.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
I think i'm just gonna go with the 51R Kirkland battery rated at 600CCA from costco. It's like $69.99 CDN.

Highest CCA in a 51R battery size I can find.

Good idea, I was considering the kirkland also because of the price, but after looking at the specs and the physical characteristics of the battery I was sold. Compare them out @ Costco, its definitely cheaper there.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Correction..i think the kirkland was 500 CCA.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

you are correct narci, the kirkland is 500 CCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement