Weird Metal Grinding Noise While Driving - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX Problems and Fixes > 1st Gen - Problems and Fixes

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2004
anhster is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Question Weird Metal Grinding Noise While Driving

My car recently made this Weird Metal Grinding Noise While Driving. The noise is very noticable when i'm going above 40mph. It sounds like it's coming from the rear driver side wheel. Could it be that my pads are wearing out? rotor? Note: i've changed my brake pads that was purchased at an Acura dealership and had my rotor resurfaced in the front 2 months ago. The noise is pretty loud above 40mph so i can't tell if it's the front or back but i'm guessing it's the back becasue i had the front replaced 2 months ago. I have my windows up because it's embarassing hearing that awful noise while driving with the windows down. Any suggestions? HELP!!!
anhster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: TSX/NAVI/05/GP
narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Rear pads will degrade twice as fast as the front ones so you might want to get that checked out.

Another things is you might have a seized caliper, your gonna have to get that checked out too.
narci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
TSX of the Month Winner
TOTM 2008

My Ride: Acura TSX 2005
bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.bluexcrush is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

why does the rear degrade faster? is it due to the smaller pad surface? since the rear brakes do less braking than the fronts.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2004
anhster is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Rear pads will degrade twice as fast as the front ones so you might want to get that checked out.

Another things is you might have a seized caliper, your gonna have to get that checked out too.
I do n't know too much about cars, but you are saying that the pad could be warn out and the metal part is slighty touching the rotor? Correct me if i'm wrong!
anhster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.narci is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhster View Post
I do n't know too much about cars, but you are saying that the pad could be warn out and the metal part is slighty touching the rotor? Correct me if i'm wrong!
Could be or the caliper is seized so that the pad constantly rubs against the rotor.

You won't know till you take the sheel off and inspect.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexcrush View Post
why does the rear degrade faster? is it due to the smaller pad surface? since the rear brakes do less braking than the fronts.
No clue why..but I assume your right. Everyone has reported this from what i have read and it was same with myself too. I had 60% or so up front while my rear pads were gone..so i got them replaced.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2005 Acura TSX 6MT
Varia can only hope to improve, or face mass condemn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Rear pads will degrade twice as fast as the front ones
Other way around... The fronts usually provide ~70% of total braking power. They get eaten up a lot faster than the rears.
Varia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura / TSX / 2006
RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.RaCeR4LiFe022 is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varia View Post
Other way around... The fronts usually provide ~70% of total braking power. They get eaten up a lot faster than the rears.
Yeah thats how mine are..
RaCeR4LiFe022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varia View Post
Yes that is true..braking is mostly done with front brakes..but on the TSX, I believe the rear brake pads have less lining so they need to be replaced more often then the front.

Just do a search on the rear brakes and you'll see almost everyone will say they had to change thier rear pads before the front pads.

I know I did last year...original owner on the original pads..had to change the rear and front had at at least 60% left.

Last edited by narci; 07-09-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2004/Silver
TSX00 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Not sure if it is the same thing you heard but my 04 model was making a metallic grinding noise in its first year of life. Turns out it was the wheel bearing and it was replaced under warranty and the sound went away. Good luck!
TSX00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: 2006 ABP & 2011 CBP Wagon
endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

more then likely your brake pad indicator, letting you know your pads need to be replaced. the longer you let it go, the more likely you will need to replace your rotors too.

Currently:
2006 ABP
2011 CBP Tech Wagon
endlesswinterco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Regional Meet Leader

My Ride: TSX/2005/CGP
pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.pdpgps is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

is this sound while braking or just normal driving?
'13 ILX-Hybrid
pdpgps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TSX 2004
kel1020 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

i think i am having the same problem...how do i tell that it's in need of changing brake pad before i purchase one.... is it noticable visually???
kel1020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Un-Civil Engineer

My Ride: TSX/2004/MSM
griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel1020 View Post
i think i am having the same problem...how do i tell that it's in need of changing brake pad before i purchase one.... is it noticable visually???
Its easier to see when you take off your wheel. There a post in the DIY section that shows how to remove the brake caliper to inspect the pads:

Click this link 2004-08 TSX Service Manual Scans - DIY then go to the brakes section. You should be able to see if the pad is wearing thin.
Good luck!
griffojm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
wine em, dine em, cl9 em

My Ride: acura/tsx/2k4
cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.cdiggisapimp is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

this has never happened to my TSX, but something eerily similar would happen on my last car, 98 civic ex. it almost sounded like a pebble or rock got lodged between the pad and rotor... but i never saw any damage to the surface of the rotor and had recently had a brake job. it was the most unnerving, metal on metal grinding sound that would come and go. the sound would go away when i applied the brakes too. it was embarrassing when it did happen!

FOREVER CLUB #2
925 Neck-Breakers #1
IG @huntsman_eastwood
cdiggisapimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement