Navigation: DVD Disc Reading Error - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX Problems and Fixes > 1st Gen - Problems and Fixes

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
:)

My Ride: 2006 CGP TSX
manda , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.manda , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Navigation: DVD Disc Reading Error

Just wanted to share what happened with a navigation DVD disc reading error I've encountered.

I've had a DVD disc reading error from time to time, always coincidentally when I'm down to about 10% oil life on the MID of my 2006 TSX. I've only received this error upon driving for some time and never at start up. Lucky for me, this never happened when I was going somewhere unfamiliar.

This first occurred about 4 months after buying my TSX in July 2006. I turned the accessory mode on and off, ejected the DVD, etc. It seemed to fix itself after turning the ignition off and on most of the time. The dealer has never been able to replicate the error in the 3 times I'd mentioned the issue.

Well, I took my car in for an oil change yesterday and just as I pulled in, the error popped up and I had a service advisor confirm the message. He thought that it could a scratch on my DVD but he'd have my unit inspected.

Turns out my DVD was fine and unscratched. I'd never taken the DVD out of the drive except for the first occurrence of this error. The technician verified that my disk looked fine and diagnosed my navi system. They ended up replacing the "navigation system control unit" according to my invoice. The service advisor told me that both the drive unit and navi cpu (?) was replaced under warranty. It's $$$ out of warranty.

According to my advisor, there was a service advisory or bulletin out for this error. I've been quickly skimming through the Acura TSBs but I don't really see anything except for B06-001 (that appears to be more like details for dealers on how to order replacement parts). I'm still not sure where he came up with this or if there was anything official. **EDIT: There was a notation on my invoice "S/B 06-039."

Just an FYI, both TSXs and TLs on another forum have had these issues. Some have been finding success by:
1) Cleaning the DVD itself
2) Using one (or two) types of DVD drive lens cleaners (one with a single brush, one with multiple, evenly spaced brushes)
3) Sending the drive unit back to Alpine for repair (<$200).

"Rhino" - TSX Forever Club #4

Hondata Reflash | Progress RSB | EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors | EBC Redstuff brake pads | Stoptech SS brake lines | Tein Street Basis | Ingalls rear camber kit | EuroR front and rear lips | Comptech IceBox | Mugen grill | WeatherTech visors | EDM rear fog light | A-Spec exhaust tips | Domo oil cap | 18" 5Zigen Heidfeld Mesh

Retired: Alutec 4-point chassis brace | Cusco 4-point chassis brace | Tein H.Tech | EDM fog light covers | Racing Brake UP slotted rotors | paint matched grill

manda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 05 cgp
carbonK24 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

I'm confused. What was the problem bad oil? LOL. I need help with this I have been getting the error message.
carbonK24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
:)

My Ride: 2006 CGP TSX
manda , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.manda , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonK24 View Post
I'm confused. What was the problem bad oil? LOL. I need help with this I have been getting the error message.
The dealer could never verify or replicate this error until the message popped up the last time I was at the dealer for an oil change.

I had my navigation drive unit (the dvd player in the trunk) replaced. My service advisor said there was a service bulletin out for it - it MAY be bulletin 06-039.

I'm still under warranty so I had everything replaced for free. From the "other" forum, others not under warranty either sent their drive unit to Alpine for repair ($180) or tried cleaning the drive using disc cleaners.

"Rhino" - TSX Forever Club #4

Hondata Reflash | Progress RSB | EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors | EBC Redstuff brake pads | Stoptech SS brake lines | Tein Street Basis | Ingalls rear camber kit | EuroR front and rear lips | Comptech IceBox | Mugen grill | WeatherTech visors | EDM rear fog light | A-Spec exhaust tips | Domo oil cap | 18" 5Zigen Heidfeld Mesh

Retired: Alutec 4-point chassis brace | Cusco 4-point chassis brace | Tein H.Tech | EDM fog light covers | Racing Brake UP slotted rotors | paint matched grill

manda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 07' TSX 6SPD Navi Black on Black
Acura TooSeXy can only hope to improve, or face mass condemn.

this is not uncommon, I had to get my 07 's navi unit replace after 3 month of purchasing the car. it was scratching the disc thus giving me the same error. My dealer was not surprised when I brought my car back , they ordered the unit and disc the same day and replaced everything 5 days later. The new one gave me the error once not too long ago, I inspected the disc and there was 0 scratch . since then , I have updated to ver 4.71 the 2008 edition, and had no problem since. I still have the 4.71 's disc image, if you want , I can burn one for you . It will upgrade the navi's firmware to a more stable version.
Acura TooSeXy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
RML-R1
Regional Meet Leader
SF Bay Area
TOTM 2009

My Ride: 05 TSX // 08 ISF
wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.wong05tsx is almost as elite as a forum moderator.

Bump. Thanks for the post Manda

Called Alpine, they're willing to fix it for 158$ + shipping to them.

Their number is 800-421-2284 for those who has run into this problem too.

Acura wanted 3000$ :\ (Funny 'cause navi option was only 2000$ brand new)...

Will be shipping mine out sometime this week... and relocating my navi unit to under the rear seats when i get it back (I'm pretty sure it's my subs that caused this problem since whenever I have it all the way up, my navi does not work)

Audio | Hertz HSK165 6.5's w/ Rainbow SLC Tweeters | Hertz HCX165 Coaxials | Alpine PDX 1000.1 | Alpine PDX 100.4 | Two 8" Sundown Audio SA-8 D4 | Mercman's Harness | Dynamat Xtreme | Optima YT D35
Suspension/Chassis | | MOOG Endlinks | Hawk HPS | Brembo Blanks w/ X-Drill & Slotted | Tein CST | Progress Rear Sway
Aero/Cosmetics | | 20% Tints all around | Work Euroline SL | 06 EDM Headlights w/ USDM Projectors | EDM Tailights (Rear Fog) | A-spec Front & Rear Underspoiler | 05 Mugen Style Sideskirts | 5000k HID Fogs | Junction Produce| S2000 AP2 Exhaust Finishers
Performance | Hondata Reflash | TB Bypass | Injen CAI | 08 Cat

www.distinctivdetailing.com
Bay area detailin holler at me!

Last edited by wong05tsx; 08-17-2009 at 02:43 PM..
wong05tsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: N/A
PLAN B is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong05tsx View Post

Will be shipping mine out sometime this week... and relocating my navi unit to under the rear seats when i get it back (I'm pretty sure it's my subs that caused this problem since whenever I have it all the way up, my navi does not work)

Let me know how relocating works bro! Pics would be killer
PLAN B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
500K Poster! - Premium Club Member

My Ride: is extra gray
ShzaTSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.ShzaTSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.ShzaTSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Here's what I found, may help some people with this issue. out of warranty looks to be around $158 to fix the main unit. I think this is my issue on my 04.

http://navhelp.com/TSB-96-025.pdf
-Exedy clutch, ACT Streetlight flywheel
-Hondata reflash
-Buddy Club N+, Oil/Thermostat Cap!
-Comptech RSB, Ingalls camber
-18x8.5 Work CR Kai gunmetal
-RacingBrake: F/R slotted rotors, stainless lines, pads
-JDP CF lip, AP2 Tips
-EuroR Grill, front and rear emblems
-T1R knob!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift."
ShzaTSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: '04 CGP 6MT
TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.TS-SEX is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShzaTSX View Post
Here's what I found, may help some people with this issue. out of warranty looks to be around $158 to fix the main unit. I think this is my issue on my 04.

http://navhelp.com/TSB-96-025.pdf
nice find... dont have a navi but my mult cd changer doest work anymore. do you guys think its the same $$$ to get it fix?
TS-SEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura TL 05
trailrun33 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

strange inside...

I attempted to pull the drive apart, hoping there was just a standard PATA or SATA slimline CD-drive in there somewhere.

The drive unit is simply bizarre. It has a PCMCIA slot on the bottom. It has Alpine ASICs all over the circuit board on the CD drive portion of the unit. And it uses the typical weird car-manufacturer connectors you can't find in any normal electronics world.

1000s of man hours must have been spent designing custom hardware when they could have just used a ready made SBC and flash memory. Even in 2003 this would have been so easy. And we wonder why it costs $3000....

I called Alpine. They were nice enough. ...Mail them a check in a box with the unit to some warehouse in Torrence CA... whatever. No RMA number, nothing. Strange. The whole thing is sooo backwards car manufacturer and OEM world.

Will someone just start building OEM replacement Android based embedded computers with Flash???
trailrun33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2005 Metallic silver
juandiablo is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Hey let me know how it goes cuz I have had similar provle
Where my navi keeps rebooting. Ad the location is kind off in the map whenever it rarely works. If it fixes Ur problem Wen they return it keep em updated I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrun33 View Post
I attempted to pull the drive apart, hoping there was just a standard PATA or SATA slimline CD-drive in there somewhere.

The drive unit is simply bizarre. It has a PCMCIA slot on the bottom. It has Alpine ASICs all over the circuit board on the CD drive portion of the unit. And it uses the typical weird car-manufacturer connectors you can't find in any normal electronics world.

1000s of man hours must have been spent designing custom hardware when they could have just used a ready made SBC and flash memory. Even in 2003 this would have been so easy. And we wonder why it costs $3000....

I called Alpine. They were nice enough. ...Mail them a check in a box with the unit to some warehouse in Torrence CA... whatever. No RMA number, nothing. Strange. The whole thing is sooo backwards car manufacturer and OEM world.

Will someone just start building OEM replacement Android based embedded computers with Flash???
juandiablo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: tsx/04/sliver
hkppl111 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

hv the same problem here. mine is 04
it's weird. it works when the weather is sunny, warm. it cant read when raining, cold...but now, it happens everytime i drive

I'm confused after reading that. we can fix ourself? but how do i know which part doesn't work? my warranty ended long time ago, if i just go to the dealer, it rly costs $3000?
hkppl111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2006
aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Error just started happening to me this past weekend. I was out with a couple friend and was bumping my sub pretty loud. Next morning when I was driving home, the error popped up on the screen. Had to turn off the car and turn it back on and it booted up just fine.

Couple days ago as I was driving it happened again. I just left it and kept driving. I'm wondering if the vibration from my sub might have did something to the dvd drive.

Btw, I have the newest dvd that I bought back in Dec 2010 in there.
aeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2005 Metallic silver
juandiablo is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl111 View Post
hv the same problem here. mine is 04
it's weird. it works when the weather is sunny, warm. it cant read when raining, cold...but now, it happens everytime i drive

I'm confused after reading that. we can fix ourself? but how do i know which part doesn't work? my warranty ended long time ago, if i just go to the dealer, it rly costs $3000?
Isnt that funny that weather thing. Same way here. I just haven't decided to send to alpine because I'll lose the ac controls. And in this weather idk about that .
juandiablo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2006
aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.aeon has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Took out my navi disc earlier today and there's a pretty good scratch that goes all the way around the disc. I guess something made contact with the disc while it was spinning.
aeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: .
DarkNinja75 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong05tsx View Post

Just did this last week. Called Alpine, they gave me the address, told me $158, average 2 week turnaround time. I sent it out Monday, got it back a week later Friday. Works again.
DarkNinja75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement