burning oil too fast? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX Problems and Fixes > 1st Gen - Problems and Fixes

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
baudit2

My Ride: Acura TSX 2004
baudit2 is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

burning oil too fast?

my 04 6mt seems to be burning oil up pretty quickly. For the past 9K miles, my oil indicator light comes on about 1K early, before my next oil change. I'll check the oil level and find it VERY low on oil. I've been using valvoline 5w30 conventional every 3K miles very faithfully.
Anyone else have this problem?
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
shodan

My Ride: TSX6MT/06/CGP
Hoosier_Buddy is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

How many miles on the vehicle? What are your driving habits like? City, highway, short trips, etc?

Not sure what the problem is but I would definitely give Auto-Rx some serious consideration.
Auto-Rx
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Un-Civil Engineer

My Ride: TSX/2004/MSM
griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.griffojm is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

The dealership has a standard of 1 quart burned in 3000 miles (I think, its been a while). Anything more than that amount is considered excessive. If you are under an extended warranty, I would consider taking it to the dealer.
griffojm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: s2000
EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

Yes you are burning to much oil, there have been several post about the early 04s burning oil. It has something to do witht he piston rings and the only way to solve it is to rebuild or new motor.

You can also try runing thicker oil which will help, but nont solve the problem.

DIY: Suspension Install

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...n-install.html
EuroRspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
iVTEC no koe

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.HoRRo is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

"my oil indicator light"

Which light are you referring to? If you are talking about the low oil/pressure yellow light, then you should be checking your oil more often. If that light has come on more than once, I would definitely get the timing chain tensioner checked, as your timing chain may already be stretched.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2004
dmassott , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.dmassott , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

oh boy lol, been there done that...had the motor replaced under warranty
dmassott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
USMC

My Ride: TSX / 2004 / Gray
newapocalypse is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

this sounds horrible, i am not gonna lie if i knew 04's had this many problems i would have gone with the 06... but i guess i cant complain since i have had 0 problems with my baby.... (knocks on wood)
newapocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: honda/2008/black
michael123 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmassott View Post
oh boy lol, been there done that...had the motor replaced under warranty
Hi there,
if the motor not in warranty...???then what is the solution, because i have the same problem...

cheap links of london jewellery
cheap links of london jewellery
links of london uk
links of london uk
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/2004
dmassott , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.dmassott , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael123 View Post
Hi there,
if the motor not in warranty...???then what is the solution, because i have the same problem...
add oil? lol ha but yea not too sure what you want to do if out of warranty. Glad i got mine CPO. towards the end, I was burning thru like 3 quarts in about 1000 miles
dmassott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
What to put here...

My Ride: 2004 PWP on Ebony TSX 6MT Non-Navi
curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

I've had the problem too, and was probably one of the first (on the forums at least) to detail my story. However, its on 'the other forum'. Basically what dmassott said it true though - its a problem where even new rings and valve seals will NOT likely fix the issue. The problem is with the block itself. I had a full rebuild of all seals, rings, guides, etc... by the Master tech at my local dealership. It burned oil just as bad, if not worse, after that! They then replaced the block (leaving the rebuild head in my car) and since then I burn ZERO oil.

You can try a thicker oil but I would advise against it. I would advise checking your oil EVERY time you fill-up with gas, and topping off as necessary. If you let it get to the state where the oil pressure light comes on, you're starving your engine of oil and as mentioned by HoRRo, you REALLY need to look at replacing the tensioner and possibly the timing chain at this point.

I highly doubt its under warranty if its a 2004, as the time limit (5 years?) is well past.
2004 TSX, PWP on Ebony, 6MT, #00032. 2006 short block put in at 92,000km --> warranties are a good thing!.
Hondata, Tein, Koni, Injen, Unorthodox Racing, Comptech, Powerstop, FLP Maven, Japspeed.
curls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
theTSXguru

My Ride: '08 TSX(navi) 6MT CGP, '06 Accord SE Silver
theTSXguru is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

I've just started an "oil consumption tracking" with the dealership here. If they determine that its burning more than a litre of oil per 1000kms, then it becomes a issue which they will resolve. to me 1L/1000kms burn limit is just ludicrous!

I bought my car in Feb with CPO, and a month later, my low oil pressure light came on - needless to say i was not happy.

Last edited by theTSXguru; 04-27-2010 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: limit Reason: limit
theTSXguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
What to put here...

My Ride: 2004 PWP on Ebony TSX 6MT Non-Navi
curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.curls is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

That's the same test they ran (after giving me flak about my CAI) on my car. Twice.

I can almost guarantee that you will be told "it must be because you shift at too high of RPM's" or "your mods will cause the car to burn oil" or "VTEC uses oil and its normal". All of those are FALSE with regards to warrantying an engine for oil consumption, so hold your ground and fight it if needed!
2004 TSX, PWP on Ebony, 6MT, #00032. 2006 short block put in at 92,000km --> warranties are a good thing!.
Hondata, Tein, Koni, Injen, Unorthodox Racing, Comptech, Powerstop, FLP Maven, Japspeed.
curls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT Navi
2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTSXguru View Post
I've just started an "oil consumption tracking" with the dealership here. If they determine that its burning more than a litre of oil per 1000kms, then it becomes a issue which they will resolve. to me 1L/1000kms burn limit is just ludicrous!

I bought my car in Feb with CPO, and a month later, my low oil pressure light came on - needless to say i was not happy.
I just posted in the other similar thread that I've had an oil consumption test going on just to make sure my engine is running smoothly before warranty runs up. My first consumption test, 200ML was added 1600KM after the last visit. I felt that this was a bit skewed because I added some oil in myself when I couldn't go to the dealer. The second consumption test which was done last week, they added 0.90L of oil and the car was driven 1943KM since the previous inspection.

What do you guys think? I'm going to ask my dealer what is "normal" and report back tomorrow
2K6TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: acura/tsx/04
intoxicated is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

ask the dealer to check for an oil leak. If you dont see any oil burning from the exhaust its prolly cus its not burning. I had a similar loss of oil and it was the crank seal that was the culprit. The engine bottom cover sucks and holds alot of oil and you wont be able to see it dripping on the floor
intoxicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT Navi
2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.2K6TSX has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicated View Post
ask the dealer to check for an oil leak. If you dont see any oil burning from the exhaust its prolly cus its not burning. I had a similar loss of oil and it was the crank seal that was the culprit. The engine bottom cover sucks and holds alot of oil and you wont be able to see it dripping on the floor
My car is garaged all the time.. I've never seen any hint of oil on the floor. I will check out the exhaust..i'm no expert but i could tell by just touching the inside of my exhaust right? As for the crank seal..I'll ask the dealer next time i'm in

I heard there was a common issue with our valve cover leaking? Can anyone shed some light on this? Could this result in a loss of oil?
2K6TSX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement