Hit a curb driving wheel not straight - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Welcome > TSX Problems and Fixes > 1st Gen - Problems and Fixes

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2007/Silver
tsx_ne is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Hit a curb driving wheel not straight

My car hit a curb pretty hard this morning that it knocked the driving wheel of the center. It's not straight anymore when I drive straight. Any idea what might be damaged? Am I looking at a really expensive repair?

Cheers,
tsx_ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Marketplace

My Ride: .
Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.Kevin is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

get it realigned
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew I would need wheel alignment done. How likely would the rim be bent or other parts bent?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: s2000
EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

If your steering wheel isn't shaky at speed, then most likely its not bent. The alignment will determine whether you cause any damage to the suspension. So get that done first, then post your results here.

DIY: Suspension Install

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...n-install.html
EuroRspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Club Member

My Ride: 2006 CL9 6MT
whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

I've unfortunately curbed my TSX twice in the past and promptly got it aligned. You should be fine but regardless an alignment is needed.

Past: 2004 IBP TSX 5AT
Present: 2006 ASM TSX 6MT
whatsanacura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

Thanks!

The steering wheel does shake a little bit above 60mph. I did drive 200 miles afterwards to come home and get it checked. I sent it to a local shop, below are things that need to be replaced and their quote (parts+labor):

RF wheel (bent): $200 to get a refurbished one
RF lower control arm (bent): $450
front struts (RF one is leaking, but recommended to have both front struts replaced: $550.
alignment: $90

I heard the wheel could be straightened out for ~$100. Is that a good idea or I better off getting a refurbished one?

I did a quick scan of the suspension DIY link in your post. How long do you think it would take to replace the control arm for someone like me who have never done any suspension work? I replaced the brake rotors and pads before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRspec View Post
If your steering wheel isn't shaky at speed, then most likely its not bent. The alignment will determine whether you cause any damage to the suspension. So get that done first, then post your results here.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 5
Performance

My Ride: TSX/05/CGP
tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.tottenham12712 is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

a good few hours:/ maybe most of a day. you got a buddy that knows more about cars? that would help push things along. A control arm is pretty important lol so its not something you wanna mess up, if your not totally comfortable doing it. find someone to help that has more experience
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Blk04TSX6speed

My Ride: TSX/2004/Black
StreetSecrets is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

i hit a curb and i replaced my lower control arm, inner and outer tie rods, and the frame mount all cost me about $299 from the dealer for parts then $70 for alighnment and i did the replacement myself otherwise could of got the work done for $300 so about $700 - $1000 sounds fair or your getting ripped
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
KBH
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2004
KBH , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.KBH , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Cry I slid into a curb today

My steering wheel is pulled pretty badly to the left and there is a lot of shaking while going straight and loud metal on metal rubbing when I make turns. I'm pretty certain some suspension parts will need to be replaced. What is a frame mount? Is it the piece the front strut slides down into? - part 11/12 here? or is it the strut hat that attaches the strut to the body up in the hood?

I gather that if the car is drivable (it is), I should take it to an alignment shop and let them assess the situation. Or should I just go to a collision shop?

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura
KBH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Autobahn Stormer

My Ride: 2008 CL7 Accord
Heinz Waescher is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

www.hondaoriginalparts.com ???
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
KBH
Registered Member

KBH , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.KBH , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Well I may have lucked out.

I put my car on stands today to try to assess the damage. The two driver's side wheels are toast but the tires are okay so I just ordered new rims. The grinding sound was just a bent rotor shield. The steering wheel is still pulled slightly to the left so I have an alignment scheduled for Tuesday. One uncertain issue is some fresh AT fluid on the PASSENGER side output shaft (the side away from the impact). I've known for a while my transmission case gasket has a slight leak but I wonder if the impact worsened it.

Overall though if there is no frame damage or need for new suspension components, I'm pretty happy.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
SeeYouToo

My Ride: 2011/TSX V6-Tech/Bellanova White Pearl
MrSmigglez is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

That sucks man. A week before I bought my TSX I was being an idiot in my Eclipse(traded it in for my TSX ) and bent the front right control arm so bad the wheel was rubbing my fender. Had to put the spare on to drive home. Apparently the linkage got messed up too. LOL never doing that again. $400 for new OEM control arm, linkage and alignment. I know a guy :P Got my new TSX a week later and left that car in the past.
MrSmigglez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Autobahn Stormer

My Ride: 2008 CL7 Accord
Heinz Waescher is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH View Post
I put my car on stands today to try to assess the damage. The two driver's side wheels are toast but the tires are okay so I just ordered new rims.
I think it is dangerous to use these damaged tires again, the steelt belt inside could be damaged an rust could occure even inside the rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH View Post
I've known for a while my transmission case gasket has a slight leak but I wonder if the impact worsened it.
Does the AT has its own dipstick to check the fluid level?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
KBH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz Waescher View Post
I think it is dangerous to use these damaged tires again, the steelt belt inside could be damaged an rust could occure even inside the rubber.

Does the AT has its own dipstick to check the fluid level?
That tire clearly has a damaged sidewall and needs to be replaced. In my case, the wheel took the brunt of the hit and the tire is fine aside from some abrasions. I actually slid sideways into the curb so there was much less stress on the tire sidewall than if I ran over it at a perpendicular approach. ATF level is fine and there are no drips on my driveway.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
KBH
Registered Member

So the alignment shop was unable to straighten out my car. Control arms are bent. I had them give me a necessary parts list for repair and it includes upper and lower control arms and ball joints. They also want ot repalce my bearing and wheel hub. Not so sure if this is necessary since the car is rolling fine. Even though they didn't list it, I'm going to get new tie rod links as well. The strut is apparently fine. Any one had experience with bearing damage after a curbing event and what would the symptoms be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement