Acura TSX Forum banner

2006 Acura TSX Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Holden_B_Lunts 
#1 ·
I need to change all brake pads and rotors for a 2006 Acura TSX. Any recommendations for shops that will use OEM parts?

Acura Pickering quotes about $980, which is over my budget.

#2 ·
Any independent shop should accommodate your request to use OE Acura parts. If not, go to another shop. After all, it is your car. Their repair estimate should include the requested OE parts. At an independent shop you will likely save on the labor rate, but not necessarily on the price of the parts.

#3 ·
Have you ever thought about doing it yourself and saving half the cost? I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos to walk you through the procedure, and the only tools you'll require are a set of jackstands, a small set of metric tools, and a torque wrench. Pads and rotor swaps are fairly straight forward procedures.

If you still want a shop to do it, you can always order OEM parts online and take them to an independent shop for installation.

#4 ·
Most shops will put on OEM parts even if you bring the parts in yourself just may not give you a guarantee on the parts... but what Edgeman says... best decision I ever made was learning how to change my own brakes... Its insanely easy and saves you so much money!

Most shops will charge around $800 for pads and rotors on all corners... can usually get 4 rotors for $150 ($100 for the front, $50 for the rears) at most auto stores and $80 for 2 sets of pads. First attempt took me 4 hours, since i was constantly checking write ups and videos on YT, autozone sold me the wrong rotors and it got dark out... now i can do it in 30 mins per wheel if all the bolts cooperate.

have to have the space, patience and some hand soap but its worth it. Not going to save much going to an independent shop

#7 ·
You will not save much money if you dont do the work yourself... local repair shops will likely charge well under the dealer price. The shop mark up on parts usually isnt too bad and they usually come with a warranty but you can call around to see if any shop will install parts you already purchased. I have no idea if the likes of Napa, AutoZone or Advanced Auto exist in Canadian... but a quick search on CT's website i found Front rotors and Pads for about $150CAD... and rear Pads and rotors for $100 CAD.

You do not need Honda OEM rotors or pads... my .02 no reason to keep using OEM when aftermarket has more options for cheaper.

#8 ·
tirerack.com has all the brembo parts on special...

where are the OEM parts that cheap? i just did my rear brakes, here was my shopping cart:

PAD SET, FR.
45022-TE0-A60
$45.43
$45.43

PAD SET, RR.
43022-S84-A50
$48.62
$48.62

DISK, FR. BRAKE
45251-TA1-A01
$92.02
$184.04

DISK, RR. BRAKE
42510-SDA-A00
$74.46
$148.92

Total
$427.01

#9 ·
never said $230 for OEM... i dont throw money on OEM brake parts... Advanced Auto or Napa will sporadically have 20% off sales and ill get the parts then, saves you a good amount of money.

I did the fronts on my civic a few months ago during one of said sales... was $108 for 2 rotors and a set of pads.

#10 ·
"www.autoanything.com" always seems to have the best price for me.

Right now you can get complete set (front/rear) Centric Premium High Carbon Rotors for $187; ~$20 less gets you the non-high carbon versions. I have abused the former like a red headed step child that stole a cookie in both canyons and track settings with zero issues.

Centric Premium High Carbon Rotors - Best Price on Centric High Carbon Blank Brake Rotors
Centric Premium Rotors - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything

Brake pad wise, I would go with Hawk HPS ($161) or EBC Green ($134)

Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything
EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything

So $350 on the high and $300 on the low end for complete brake package. Just do all of the work yourself. It is a lot easier than people think and save yourself $200 in shop fees.

And if you think you need anything more for daily and spirited driving (performance wise), your name better start with "Ayrton" and end with "Senna" LOL =)

#11 ·
You guys haven't heard of rockauto.com?

Shop there. Spend money on PADS, not rotors.

Rotors are just rotors. Buy centrics or prontos or whatever is reasonable.

Buy good pads.

Centric Stoptech SP or Powerstop Z23 are good daily driveable pads that will resist leaving deposits on the rotor and will be more resistant brake pulsation.

You can also opt for cheap semi-metallic pads to prevent brake pulsation. But you'll be contending with quite a bit of corrosive dust.

I would not buy street blend or "long life" ceramic pads.

Hawk HPS is a good option. But they're pricey and you'll need to wash the wheels often to prevent dust etching.

#12 ·
^^^ Rotors are not just rotors. Very few people actually need DBS or Girodisk levels of performance, but I would not recommend running cheap Chinese/unknown brands either. Too many compromises and unknowns (premature warping or cracking, poor rust resistance, etc). Does one really want to gamble with a car's stopping capability over $50 in savings?

That said, I will agree that one cannot go wrong with any of the established reputable manufacturers (Centric owns a large chunk of the mass consumer market). But it is indeed the pads that make the bigger difference.

And RockAuto is another awesome source. From my limited experience, they have been better for maintenance/OEM-replacement parts.

#13 ·
You'd be hard pressed to WARP a rotor unless you dropped a car on it.

The rust rate of any cast iron is about the same. Painted or E-coated hats are available. But as far as rotor planes are concerned, they all rust just the same.

Centric and Brembo manufacture on China.

I've never heard or seen a brake rotor crack on a TSX for street use.

They're just rotors.

I will agree that the plane thickness and surfaces might be initially better when choosing a known brand.

Centric rotors are among the least expensive. On a race track (S2000), I get about 4 to 6 days out of a rotor before its torn to shreds...or it cracks. On the street, I get infinity miles....even with "spirited" driving and fairly agressive pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.