can I replace one rotor (not the pair)? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes > 1st Gen - Suspension, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2004 Milano Red
benmunger is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Question can I replace one rotor (not the pair)?

My rear driver side rotor is warped my passenger side is fine.

Am I supposed to repair/replace the pair or is it not really a big deal to do just one?
benmunger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: 2006 ABP & 2011 CBP Wagon
endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

replace the pair, or have both resurfaced.
endlesswinterco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2004 Milano Red
benmunger is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesswinterco View Post
replace the pair, or have both resurfaced.
Why do you/they/mechanics suggest this?

(I'm not questioning you I'm just trying to understand why.)
benmunger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bork Bork Bork

My Ride: Acura/TSX/2005
zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.zhieson is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

Well, its not completely necessary to change both if only one is flawed.

But you really do want both your left and right sides operating at the same specs/rating. You don't want one side stopping harder than the other. It really is safest to change both at once (when it comes to sides).

I think its ok if you do just front or backs...
performance & suspension: Apexi WS2 Catback, magnaflow cat, Ralco RZ pulleys, TS header (wrapped/sprayed) & vibrant flex pipe, cylinder resonator removal, mobile 1 synth, K&N drop-in, wicked tuning camber, Tanabe DF210 springs, koni yellow struts, comptech RSB, r1concept e-line rotors, akebono proact, DRH tb spacer
lighting & audio: Audi & blacked (housing) headlight mod, 5K low beams/HID fogs, smoked tails (spray), laminex, LED cabin, piaa reverse&license, aux link, 10" infinity sub, 1000w MTX amp, Polk DB651 (all doors), LED cupholder
zhieson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

My Ride: 2006 ABP & 2011 CBP Wagon
endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.endlesswinterco is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

yea, its a safety issue. as zhieson stated, you want both sides stopping and doing the same amount of work. but you can just do both front or both backs, not all four, but you should all ways do both L and R in the front and or rear whenever doing brake work.
endlesswinterco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: s2000
EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.EuroRspec is either reputation whoring, or truly reaching the elite club.

As stated above, replace both. It's also better because they usually will get the same life span, so if you replace one now, you may have to replace the other soon, and it will be more work.

DIY: Suspension Install

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...n-install.html
EuroRspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
it's a lifestyle

My Ride: 05 TSX 6SPD NAVI |04 R1
Dark , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.Dark , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.Dark , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

In reality, there is no reason you'd have to change both rotors out, changing only one rotor is fine as long as it is identical to the other.

The main reason most would say you should replace them as a pair is because

1 - Your pads are bedded in to the rotors already, replacing one rotor will create unequal stopping force until the pads have bed with the new rotor.

2 - You'll need to keep track of the used rotor, you don't want it to reach the minimal thickness and become a hazard.

Personally, rotors are cheap so I would change them both.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement