Coilover sleeves? Skunk2 or Ground Control? - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Performance > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes > 1st Gen - Suspension, ...

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Honda Accord Euro 2004 Graphite
MR2QIK is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

Coilover sleeves? Skunk2 or Ground Control?

Hi everyone,

My CL9 currently has lowering springs & I'm not happy with the ride height. I replaced the shocks for new OEM ones only 1.5yrs ago (not much mileage since). Not wanting to cut springs or try reset the current setup, I was wondering if anyone's had good experiences with Skunk2 or Ground Control coilover sleeves on stock shocks?? Too harsh?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Skunk2's seem cheaper, but not sure if the spring rates etc are too harsh compared to Ground Control.

Reason why I'm looking @ sleeves instead of complete coilovers, is I want to get more of my moneys worth out of my shocks. Besides, I can always replace them with Konis when they die, which would probably be approx the same time as non premium coilovers would last too.

One more major concern of mine is if these coilover sleeves tend to unseat themselves when shortened (ie lower ride heights)?? If this is the case, I wouldn't bother @ all.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay
MR2QIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX 2007 PWP
noliat is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

You can't really go wrong with the Ground Controls. If you search around on here, you'll find that the Ground Controls are quality coilover sleeves. I haven't heard too much about the Skunk2 ones though, so can't help you out there. Good luck with whichever one you choose and post pics!
Exterior: 3M 1080 Gloss Black Roof | Lamin-X Yellow | 3000K DDMTuning HID Fogs | HIC Roof Spoiler | ViS Carbon Fiber Hood
Interior: 3M 1080 Matte Silver Trim | Interior LEDs

2005 TL AM [Sold]
Engine: AEM V2 Intake
Rims: 19x8 +32 RonJon Legends Powder-Coated Satin Black
Exterior: A-Spec Lip Kit | Painted Calipers Black | DIY TL-S Fogs
Interior: Blue LED Conversion | Footwell Blue LEDs

2005 TSX 5AT CGP [R I P]
Engine: T1R Exhaust (sold) | Comptech Icebox Intake
Suspension: Neuspeed/Koni Super Cup Kit
Rims: 18x8 +48 RonJon Legends Liquid Graphite
Exterior: A-Spec Lip Kit | VIS Carbon Fiber Hood | M3 Lip Spoiler | FishDM Headlights | AAC Halos | Painted Calipers Black | eBay Fogs
Interior: White LED Conversion | Footwell Blue LEDs
noliat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

Thanks 4 the response. Any opinion on if they unseat themselves @ lower heights?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

Doublepost
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 05 6sp SSM
oligoodday is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

i agree, cant go wrong w/ ground controls... they use quality eibach springs plus you can pick up custom spring rates... skunk2 are too stiff for daily driving...
also fyi ground control makes different sleeves for stock shock & konis...
oligoodday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
L.A. > the rest

My Ride: keeps my butt warm
SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

I've got ground controls on konis and I've never had an issue. *knocks on wood* I'm also pretty low, but not slammed. I like a firm ride so I have my settings on full stiff. I imagine u would have a more compliant ride if u were to pair them up with ur oem shocks. I think someone posted a set in the classifieds.

I might be wrong but I've never stumbled across a post or a thread where someone used the skunk2 sleeves on a TSX. I have read that owners of other vehicles weren't too fond of this product but I guess it's a matter of preference.
SLIKRIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 2
Chief SuperModerator
Marketplace
TOTM 2010

My Ride: 06 ASM
tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.tekneek is a commander of respect from all.

Ground controls
tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

Thanks. So that means if I get GC's for stock shocks I can't upgrade shocks later?? If so,.major deal breaker.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
L.A. > the rest

My Ride: keeps my butt warm
SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2QIK View Post
Thanks. So that means if I get GC's for stock shocks I can't upgrade shocks later?? If so,.major deal breaker.
wrong.

ground control spring kits are designed to be used with EITHER stock OR aftermarket shocks.

u can contact them directly and request custom spring rates or ask them what they would recommend for ur particular case. inform them that u intend to pair these up with stock shocks, but that u intend to upgrade to aftermarket shocks at some point.

Ground Control - Coilover Conversion kit, 03-07 Honda Accord/ 04-07 Acura TSX

GL
SLIKRIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
fresh to death

My Ride: '04 ssm 6MT NAVI
psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.psyk0tic808 is on the distinguished road to high status recognition.

i frist had the skunk2 sleeves on stock struts, ride was ok, gave me the drop that i needed...then i picked up koni yellow sp3s...felt a lot better, especially since i could adjust dampening....then i picked up a set of GC sleeves....felt way better imo...a lot more smooth driving around...almost stock like, all while being about 1 finger gap all around...i say pickup ground controls with the konis...they will not disappoint....
psyk0tic808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement