Acura TSX Forum banner

Base Model Stereo Upgrade Questions

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kingjii 
#1 ·
So I know how to use the search on this forum, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I have many questions.

I'm unhappy with the stereo in my '09 Base model. The bass is plentiful but sloppy (too much boomy mid bass) and the treble is harsh. I've seen many threads about speaker upgrades with various recommendations (Alpine Type R's and Type S's seem popular among others) but I've also read that the stock eq is treble heavy to compensate for the poor quality of the stock speakers. Can this be overcome adequately with eq settings on the stock head unit/amp?

If not, is this the fault of the stock head unit, amp or both?

If I replace the head unit, what happens to the LCD display? Do the climate control readings, compass, etc still work?

If I replace the amp, what do I replace it with? 5 channel? Do I need a Line out converter?

Sorry for so many questions. I promise I did search but I found conflicting information in different threads. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. I came across a lot of posts suggesting JBL MS-8's as a good way to fix. It acts as an amp and digital processor. Sadly it's been discontinued and I don't know enough to research more on this topic. I can tell the audio is lacking but im not knowledgeable in this topic. If you come across anything good, please post here, I'm sure there are many more out there like us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.