Acura ILX headed for Civic-like early upgrades - Acura TSX Forum
Home Forums Register Go Premium Garage Photo Gallery FAQ Auto Loans Members List vBGarage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Acura TSX Forum > Entertainment Forum > Automotive Discussion

Welcome to TSXClub.com!
Welcome to TSXClub.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join TSXClub.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Staff: Rank 0
Administrator

My Ride: Acura TSX 2006
News Reporter , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.News Reporter , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

Acura ILX headed for Civic-like early upgrades

Filed under: Sedan, Acura, Honda

The not-yet-ready-for-primetime 2012 Honda Civic saw it quickly returned to sender for refurbishment, now the Acura ILX is headed in the same direction in its very first year. Automotive News reports that the small, Civic-based sedan from Honda's luxury brand isn't meeting sales expectations, with an annualized rate of 22,000 to 24,000 sales instead of the 30,000 the company is after. More telling is that the ILX "is being outsold by the Buick Verano, Volkswagen CC and Audi A4," and, except for two months since it launched, it has also been outdone by the Acura TSX it is meant to replace.

Part of the cause has been the 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine: its 150 horsepower to motivate a sedan that can weigh up to 2,970 pounds doesn't offer the kind of performance or value experience that buyers in the segment respond to. Another big issue is that the top-level 2.4-liter engine is only offered with a six-speed manual even though most buyers of the highest trim don't really want to shift their own gears. Lastly, the ILX might not put enough space between it and its frugal underpinnings - our first drive review pegged it as "the world's nicest Honda Civic."

An automatic transmission is on the way for the 2.4-liter, but it isn't clear when. And while Honda admits that the 2.0-liter is underpowered and Automotive News says it's on the way out, the company hasn't yet said how that situation will be corrected.Acura ILX headed for Civic-like early upgrades originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
News Reporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
L.A. > the rest

My Ride: keeps my butt warm
SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.SLIKRIK is either technically knowledgeable, or well loved.

Never saw that coming
SLIKRIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Club Member

My Ride: 2006 CL9 6MT
whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.whatsanacura has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

They need to offer the tech package with the 2.4 6MT!

Past: 2004 IBP TSX 5AT
Present: 2006 ASM TSX 6MT
whatsanacura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: Acura/2009/Gray
JR_Rider is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

I'm honestly surpised the ILX is selling as well as it is. I thought it would have been an even bigger dud than that. When it comes time to replace my 2009 TSX, I will probably looking outside of Acura.
JR_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: UKDM ACCORD CL9 TYPE S
K_A_N_O is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

acura really need to ditch those big shiny grilles.

the honda/acura styling of all the new models really isnt what appeals to me if i was looking for a new car.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 1992 Acura NSX; 2014 Acura RLX
TSX69 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.TSX69 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.TSX69 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.TSX69 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.TSX69 has a spectacular aura and a relevant respect from many.

Cry Hmmm

I always kind of thought (hoped?) that this was the plan all along. I imagined that 2013 would be the last year of the TSX & with it out of the way, the 2014 ILX would get the 2.4 engine as the base & hopefully the premium package would also be the base.

I like that Acura is trying not to have too much overlap but this may not have been the best way about it ...
TSX69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 08 ABP TSX
dvant_mode is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

I can definitely say I saw this coming. When I was shopping for a new car 3 months ago I gave the ILX a shot and have to say it was one of the most disappointing drives in an Acura that I've had! I did not get to drive the 2.4 motor so immediately I felt that it was under powered and then the handling on top of that is not what I expected it to feel like.

Definitely feel that if the don't start taking better cues from other brands in the entry level segment they are going to fall too far behind.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 06 PWP 5AT
wrxtotsx is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

Acura should bring back the coupe's again.
wrxtotsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2006/PWP
Recreant is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

^ Rumored they're making a 'cheaper' 'more affordable' coupe/version of the NSX. Not thee NSX but something like it. And by affordable like $50-70k
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 06 ASM
theaznboywunder , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.theaznboywunder , with enough acceptance, will soon become famous.

+1 on an ILX coupe.

And I'm also quite surprised that the ILX is selling as well as it is. I figured it wouldn't do well at all. In addition, the article says the ILX is the TSX replacement. If I remember correctly, execs at Acura had no comment on this and never officially mentioned that the TSX will be phased out.
theaznboywunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: TSX/2006/NBP
sml-2727 is an unknown soldier, or on the road to either parallels.

They need to make a little Coupe Hatchback and name it RSX...
sml-2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Member

My Ride: 2008 NBP 6 speed TSX w/Navi
Jimmy The Saint is neutral and has a clean balanced record.

That thing should have an RDX motor in it

TIME & DATE:
January 13th 2013 - 11:00 AM.
ADDRESS: 9200 Old Dominion Drive Mclean , VA 22102 The park / lot costs a sawbuck (Thats 5 dollars to you an me ) to enter

We Need some TSX representation - it will be 95% TLs and I'm sure at least a couple of serious Rice Cookers
Seriously It will be a lot of fun and be great to put some faces to usernames...

More Info and sign up sheet is here: **WARNING**non allowed word in the URL - **some knowledge of intarweb standards is required to fully grasp this post**
eh tee tee pee colon double slash that zine site that turns into stars when posted here.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873567

It hasn't really been all that cold, so it very well could be a really nice day out. So clean your cars, think about removing a few tuner stickers
and come on out!

..yes I was going for the most annoying formatting EVAR. Thanks.

2008 NBP/Parchment TSX 6 speed w/ Navi & Custom Backup Cam

ENGINE: CT ICE BOX | PR2 Throttle Body Spacer |
DRIVETRAIN: MUGEN Short Shifter | Corsport Bushings | F1 Stage 2 Clutch & Lightweight FW

INTERIOR: Replica NSX Shift Knob | Strut King Pedals | RSX Shift Boot Adapter
EXTERIOR: JDM Lights | Fastline Rear Decklid | LUMINICS Titanium White Fogs |

SUSPENSION TEIN Basic Coilovers | PROGRESS RSB | Alutec Strut Tower Brace | "Stiffy"
WHEELS & TIRES: 18 x 8 Sonic Tuning wrapped in Continentals - 245/40/18
Jimmy The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement