Acura TSX Forum

Acura TSX Forum (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-discussion/)
-   -   Acura RLX pricing and launch plan detailed (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-discussion/64500-acura-rlx-pricing-launch-plan-detailed.html)

News Reporter 01-15-2013 07:20 PM

Acura RLX pricing and launch plan detailed

Filed under: Car Buying, Sedan, Acura, Luxury

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog..../01/rlx628.jpg

Acura has released pricing for its upcoming flagship, the RLX, at the Detroit Auto Show this week. Powered by an all-new direct-injected 3.5-liter V6 rated at 310 horsepower, the front-wheel-drive sedan replaces the outgoing RL model (2011's worst-selling car of the year) as the automaker's new flagship.

In addition to boasting the most spacious passenger cabin in its mid-luxury class, the new range-topping Acura features the automaker's first-ever application of Precision All-Wheel Steer and Jewel Eye LED headlamps. Standard equipment includes Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Warning, with Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow, and Blind Spot Information (BSI) system trim and option specific.

The four-door will initially be sold in five grades (prices exclude a destination charge of $895):
  • RLX - $48,450
  • RLX with Navigation - $50,950
  • RLX with Technology Package - $54,450
  • RLX with Krell Audio Package - $56,950
  • RLX with Advance Package - $60,450
While the new model doesn't officially go on sale until mid-March, to provide potential customers "with the opportunity to experience the numerous new technologies," Acura will preview its sedan at dealers during a "Destination RLX" program beginning in February.

As previously mentioned, an even more powerful version of the RLX, equipped with Acura's new Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD) and a 370-hp powerplant, will debut later this year.Continue reading Acura RLX pricing and launch plan detailed

Acura RLX pricing and launch plan detailed originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

TSX69 01-16-2013 07:34 AM

Thoughts

Let me preface this post by saying that I really really want Acura to succeed with this car. It would be nice for them to move more away from entry-level luxury & as of right now, only the MDX has done well for them in the mid-level luxury. Even tho the ZDX never sold a lot, at least it gave them another vehicle in their lineup in the mid-level range.

The RLX is indeed competitive, especially against the Germans, however, this looks like the 2005 model all over again: nice looking (could be deemed boring but inoffensive), packed with features (some innovative like SH-AWD/PAWS/Krell), good specs (300hp was great for 2005 but they did not update over the years as the other brands moved on) & reasonably priced. The 1st year it did sell well but then in 2006, the M & GS came out & sales quickly fell. The next year, they decontented the car to lower the base price & incentives were high but sales continued to slide (going to ignore the last few years as it was clear that Acura was not making them as my local dealers only got 1 a year). If this were the MDX, a $49k starting price would not be a concern as it already has been a success with a fan base, but I feel that the RLX is starting in a deep hole & needs every advantage it can get to gain traction in the market.

My thinking is that if they started with a lower price they could attract more buyers (like how Hyundai did with the Genesis/Equus) & save them from having to find ways to lower the price later on; even if these means having a low content base model (which I thought/hoped the FWD, American-made, leatherette vehicle was going to be). Also, I have heard more times that I care to: "If I am going to spend that much money on a car, I might as well get a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus instead". Yes, they would have to get a base model German car at the price the Acura goes for but to them, the emblem on the hood is more important than the toys inside.

Now for selfish reasons: I always said that I would not spend $50k on a car but it looks like I am going to have to if I want window shades & ventilated seats (which I find to be basic comfort luxury items that should be standard @ this level). I could wait for the TLX or even the MDX but not sure how much longer my TSX will last (not that there is anything wrong with it but I was hoping to trade it in before the more expensive maintenance costs kick in).

I hope this car does well for Acura - I do not expect E/5 type of sales but hopefully GS/M level. It is still on my list so hopefully I will be swept away when I see it in person. I do wonder if the hybrid version is going to get any extra goodies/changes, I hope that they say so soon so that I can figure out whether or not to wait or just get FWD.

On the good news side: I have been scanning reviews & articles this morning (most only rehash the press release so nothing worth posting) but none have said anything negative about the price so far (unlike the ILX which most reviews commented as being over priced). This review, however, did say it was an incredible value. More press like this would definitely help:
Acura Announces Plan & Pricing for 2014 RLX FlagShip Sedan

Feature-rich Acura RLX boasts numerous signature Acura-exclusive technologies, delivers incredible value on a luxury scale with starting price of $48,450.

D Garage 01-16-2013 10:47 AM

I like it but it's way out of my price range. I wonder how much the hybrid version is going to sell for.