Acura TSX Forum

Acura TSX Forum (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-discussion/)
-   -   Honda Gear Concept (http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/automotive-discussion/64552-honda-gear-concept.html)

TSX69 01-18-2013 07:58 AM

Honda Gear Concept

The Honda Gear concept study model has been revealed in a low-key unveiling at the Montreal motor show in Canada.

Inspired by a fixed-gear bicycle, the Japanese car maker says the Honda Gear concept represents a new way of looking at sub-compact city cars, and demonstrates its “innovative approach to providing the automotive answer for young, urban, Gen-Y lifestyles”.

Although details remain scarce at this stage, Honda R&D Americas design director Dave Marek said the Gear concept was designed to meet the needs of the new generation of car buyers.

“Sub-compact cars are usually either utilitarian, but uninspiring or they’re fun, zippy cars that are impractical and too expensive for the Gen-Y buyer,” Marek said.

“Gear concept tears down those walls – it’s practical but fun, customisable, connected and affordable. Everything that young, discerning urban buyers would want in a car.”

There’s no word from Honda at this stage about the Gear’s propulsion system, or whether it has any plans to put the concept into production.

The unveiling of the Honda Gear concept comes just days after the company took the wraps off Honda Urban SUV concept in Detroit. The Urban SUV previews a compact crossover based on the platform of the next-generation Jazz city car, with the production model set to launch in Japan later this year.

BluLabelCL9 01-18-2013 01:19 PM

This thing must be 350hp with Brembo's all around.

K_A_N_O 01-18-2013 02:22 PM

i actually quite like how that looks.

D Garage 01-18-2013 05:26 PM

It's different but still looks pretty cool.. The front has that retro honda look to it.

SLIKRIK 01-18-2013 05:37 PM

Its not bad but its not great either. When I see cars like this all I think is coffin/deathtrap. I like how the rims are really concave but not the silver/black scheme.

dbl-htch 01-18-2013 09:35 PM

Saw this on another site yesterday, my 1st thought was "yes, this is exactly what Honda needs!" A cool little car at the entry level, of course it would need all the right ingredients to make it great.. a modern version of an EF/ EG Civic.
Honda definitely has the ability to make this; after all, small, fun, ingenious cars are what gave Hondas their enthusiast appeal in the first place. Good to see someone at Honda is still awake... now build it please, and do it right!
Would make a great replacement for my EP in a few years... :nod:

SlapyoMomma 01-18-2013 09:38 PM

Re: Honda Gear Concept

I dig the wrx/fr-s looking rear. Sweeet.

dbl-htch 01-18-2013 09:42 PM

Love the transparent coverings on the front/rear, noticed similar treatments on the revised NSX concept that came out this week also.

whatsanacura 01-18-2013 11:23 PM

I like it

jaren253 02-02-2013 08:31 PM

looks good!! I'm never a fan of compact cars either, so that says something..