Hockey Thread - Page 4 - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMan
Ok, will do. I won a 3rd box set on eBay and might win the 4th box set later today from the same seller. We'll shall see. I'll keep you up to date. So, with basically a 1 in 4 chance of getting a Sidney card...I should get at least 1 I hope (if I win the 4th box set).
We are keeping our finger's crossed that you get more than one JP
We got two, in two, and also two rookie Cam Ward's
Keep in mind, you may not need to sell your Crosby's to break even, as there are several other card's in the set that are also worth money. Wait until you see the jersey card's!!!
BTW, Upper Deck was smart. In Series 1 we can get the rookie Crosby, and UD2 you can get the Ovechkin... So we'll have to start all over in a few months with the buying frenzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 PM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Happy Hunting JP

post #48 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
Happy Hunting JP

Do they have this card?

post #49 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 PM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg878
Do they have this card?
Can't say I have seen that one
post #50 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Can't say I have seen that one
Hopefully after the NHL pins his name on the wall of locker rooms, he'll wise up

Do you think the Pens will stay in Pittsburgh?? I wonder. The city is pretty economically eh, though it may get an boost when Southwest goes in soon (major carrier USAir left a year or so ago). Losing the Pens would be bad.
post #51 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg878
Do you think the Pens will stay in Pittsburgh??
Lemieux has been working around the clock on this for some time now, and he is not getting anywhere near the support he needs to pull it off (new arena) at this time.
It would be sad to see them go, but rumor's have already started that they may move north of the border.
post #52 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Anaheim Mighty Ducks claim centre Todd Marchant off waivers

Pierre Lebrun
Canadian Press

Monday, November 21, 2005

(CP) - The Anaheim Mighty Ducks claimed centre Todd Marchant off waivers from the Columbus Blue Jackets in one of several moves Monday as the slumping club tries to shake off an eight-game losing streak.

The Ducks (7-10-4) also demoted rookie forwards Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf to AHL Portland, called up forward Chris Kunitz and goalie Michael Wall, and put forward Kip Brennan on waivers.

Marchant had been rumoured to be part of the blockbuster deal that saw star centre Sergei Fedorov shipped to Columbus from Anaheim last Tuesday, but apparently refused to waive a no-trade clause.

"He was discussed at that time but he had a no-trade clause," Ducks GM Brian Burke said Monday.

"And so there was never any agreement in any way that said Anaheim would take him if he went on waivers. The league doesn't allow understandings like that and there wasn't one here. As you can see, he cleared waivers once."

Jackets GM Doug MacLean worked hard at trying to find a deal that would interest Marchant over the past week. In the meantime, he twice put the 32-year-old on waivers, once last Wednesday and again over the weekend, before the Ducks finally claimed him.

"It's been a trying weekend because there was a lot of discussion with a lot of teams," MacLean said. "I hoped when I put him back on waivers, because of all the discussions I was having with those teams, that someone would take him."

The club needed to shed salary after acquiring Fedorov, who counts for $6.08 million US a season through 2007-08. The Jackets stood at just over $37 million in payroll before losing Marchant and wanted more breathing room under the $39-million salary cap.

Marchant is earning $2.47 million this season and has three more years on his deal after that paying him $2.47 million in 2006-07, $2.47 million in 2007-08 and $2.66 million in 2008-09.

It's a deal Burke can live with.

"Before this move we moved a lot of money," Burke said. "We think we can accommodate his contract. We think he's going to be an effective player for the length of his contract."

With Marchant switching teams Monday, both the Ducks and Jackets stand at just over $35 million each on their payrolls.

"Once we acquired Fedorov, I had to make a financial change, there's no doubt about that," MacLean said. "I didn't know how long it would take but we had to do it - not because of the cap, but because of our own budget."

The Jackets did not want to assign Marchant to the AHL and then call him back up on re-entry waivers, in which case a team such as Anaheim could have claimed the centre for only half of his contract with Columbus paying the other half. More importantly, the Jackets would have been charged half of that salary against their salary cap for the next four seasons.

The Ducks, instead, inherited a full contract and salary cap hit Monday.

"When he went (on waivers) a second time, I just thought we needed to make changes here and I thought he could help," said Burke.

Marchant had three goals and six assists in 18 games this season, his second with the Jackets after leaving Edmonton and signing a free-agent contract in Columbus in the summer of 2003.

Notes: Wall was recalled because starting goalie J.S. Giguere is day to day with a hamstring injury . . . Perry had six points (1-5) in 15 games while Getzlaf had seven points (4-3) in 16 games.

The Canadian Press 2005
post #53 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 AM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Ovechkin vs. Crosby could be this generation's Gretzky vs. Lemieux

Alan Robinson
Canadian Press

Monday, November 21, 2005

PITTSBURGH (AP) - They are the new faces of a sport whose stars were bogged down for a decade by talent-negating holding and hooking, of a league that endured a full-season shutdown partly to give them a proper showcase for their talents.

When they meet Tuesday night for the first time in what could be the new NHL's version of Gretzky vs. Lemieux, Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh and Alexander Ovechkin of Washington won't be thinking about ushering in a new era that emphasizes playmaking and goal-scoring, not trapping and goal-stopping.

Nor will be they be checking the scoresheet between periods to monitor their individual matchup - on Monday, Crosby said he glances occasionally at the NHL statistics to see who is doing what, but necessarily to gauge how he is doing compared to Ovechkin.

"It's not something I follow religiously or anything," he said.

Many around the NHL are closely following them, no doubt hoping these two No. 1 draft picks - Ovechkin in 2004, Crosby this year - become the signatures stars they very much appear to be. As Capitals owner Ted Leonsis pointed out, the NBA reinvented itself a quarter-century ago when young stars named Magic Johnson and Larry Bird freshened up a tiring league whose championship games had been relegated to tape-delay TV.

So far, neither Ovechkin nor Crosby is threatening to win the scoring title as a rookie, but each is having exactly the kind of season envisioned for them. Crosby has been more of a playmaker, with 10 goals, 15 assists and a league rookie-best 25 points in 21 games, while Ovechkin has been a goal scorer par excellence with a rookie-high 15 goals and six assists in 20 games.

Gretzky. Lemieux. Bird, Magic. Pretty good company for a pair of kids whose combined age - Crosby is 18, Ovechkin is 20 - is two years less than the 40-year-old Lemieux, on whose line Crosby occasionally plays with Pittsburgh.

"I don't want to speak for the both of us but, for me, I've played 21 games in the NHL, and I think I have a long ways to go before I can compare myself to guys like that," Crosby said Monday. "I'm sure he thinks the same way. We're having fun playing in the NHL, but we have a long ways to go before we get to a matchup like that."

The league must go a long way back to find a parallel matchup of young stars - to Nov. 6, 1984, the first Gretzky vs. Lemieux contest. Gretzky scored the game-tying goal in the third period and had six shots in a 3-3 tie between Edmonton and Pittsburgh, while the Penguins' Lemieux didn't get a single shot but had an assist.

However, while Lemieux was the rookie, Gretzky was already in his seventh full season in the WHA or NHL, though he would not turn 24 for another two months. Gretzky was in his 30s when Lemieux hit his prime by leading the Penguins to successive Stanley Cups in 1991-92.

By contrast, Crosby and Ovechkin are only two years apart, so their careers will usually be at comparable points. Even if it's not those two who are comparing themselves.

"I don't compare me and Sidney because I think we are different players," Ovechkin said. "He's a great passer, like Gretzky, and sees the ice real well. . . . My job is to score goals."

Each has shown the flair for the dramatic, too - an intangible quality the top-tier stars seem to have. In a one-week span, Crosby had the game-winning overtime score in the first shootout in the Montreal Canadiens' history and an overtime breakaway game-winner in Philadelphia. Ovechkin had a game-tying goal against Tampa Bay and the decisive shootout goal a few minutes later.

"Ovechkin is a real dominant player. He can score, he can create," Penguins coach Eddie Olczyk said.

Unlike those Gretzky-Lemieux games, Ovechkin vs. Crosby should be more than a once-or twice-a-year attraction. The teams play three more times this season, with the next game coming Jan. 25 in Pittsburgh.

The two have met before, most recently in the world junior championships in North Dakota last winter. Crosby-led Canada beat Ovechkin-led Russia 6-1 in the final, with Ovechkin finishing the tournament with 11 points (7 goals) to Crosby's nine points (five goals).

Crosby on Ovechkin: "He's really dangerous. He's a great player." Ovechkin on Crosby: "He can be faster than the other guys. He's a dangerous guy."

"Hopefully, people will get excited," Crosby said of this rivalry in the making. "I think we have a lot to prove before we put ourselves at that (Gretzky-Lemieux) level. Having two younger guys who are both playing each other for the first time, I can understand that maybe some people are excited."

The Canadian Press 2005
post #54 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

This is pretty scary: http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/11/244344.html

For sale:
OEM TSX All-Weather trunk tray - will probably try to sell locally first unless someone offers a decent amount + shipping... this thing is pretty big.
post #55 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:09 AM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

post #56 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

I actually like Ovechkin better than Crosby and I just won 2 more Upper Deck Series 1 box sets ($82.50 each including shipping ), so hopefully these 4 box sets will yield the card and more.

Quote:
"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to besought for in metaphysical subtleties which may make anything mean everything or nothing at pleasure." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823
post #57 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

yeah, I saw it after posting this

For sale:
OEM TSX All-Weather trunk tray - will probably try to sell locally first unless someone offers a decent amount + shipping... this thing is pretty big.
post #58 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciv2000
yeah, I saw it after posting this
No worries, as we can never have too much hockey talk here
post #59 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:30 AM
(8)
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMan
I actually like Ovechkin better than Crosby and I just won 2 more Upper Deck Series 1 box sets ($82.50 each including shipping ), so hopefully these 4 box sets will yield the card and more.
Oh man, I can't wait until you start breaking those boxes

Joker - who can't wait to hear what you pull
post #60 of 1207 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh man, I can't wait until you start breaking those boxes

Joker - who can't wait to hear what you pull
Me too!

Quote:
"Laws are made for men of ordinary understanding and should, therefore, be construed by the ordinary rules of common sense. Their meaning is not to besought for in metaphysical subtleties which may make anything mean everything or nothing at pleasure." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 1823
Sponsored Links
Advertisement