EconoBox's Build Thread 06 6MT TSX (NHBP) - Page 2 - Acura TSX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Gotta get the TSX prepped for the drive up to Import Alliance next weekend followed by a week enjoying the mountain roads all throughout the Appalachian mountains.

This weekend I'll be doing some much needed maintenance and a few little upgrades!

-Hasport 70a rear mount
-Acura OEM Reman axles
-New valve cover gasket set (I have a new valve cover and if I have time to finish polishing it I will install it now as well)
-Valve adjustment
-Hondata intake manifold gasket
-RBC intake manifold. Not ported but it's bored to 70mm for the throttle and the runners have been cleaned up and had the casting flash removed.
-Hybrid-Racing ZDX throttle body adapter
-New Acura ZDX throttle body
-RSX Type S oil pump
-45 degree VTC
-Replace "mid-muffler" muffler with straight pipe
-Custom 3.5" intake from ZDX throttle to Comptech Ice Box
-Some time street tuning the new improvements with Flashpro

^Normally I would be installing a "race header" and a full exhaust right now. Since my future plans are for boost and a full 3 inch exhaust I'm not investing in parts I will be selling shortly.

And the actual update with a picture.

Just about done with the radio install. Little more sanding and some paint and then I can focus on the trunk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Started tearing her apart over the weekend.
Here is the before pic:

Starting to come apart...

I thought just the rear mount was collapse but I found my side mount had also popped at some point. Found out when I removed the mount and pulled the cap off to inspect it.

Side cover off and you can see that 25 degree VTC gear

50 degree RBC VTC installed. I know, I know 45 degrees blah blah blah. It is limited in Hondata to 45 degrees. And the RBB I removed is boxed up and headed to a machine shop to be cut down to a mechanical stopped 45 degrees. I've never seen it advance all the way while on the high cam. The ECU seems to keep it under control pretty well. It will be safe until I pop the mechanically limited one back in. I'm just not a fan of those cheesy pins everyone has been using lately.

New manifold

The amount it needs ported to match up to my new throttle body

Throttle body came in yesterday. I am going to do some side by side comparisons of the TSX and ZDX throttle tonight. My Hondata thermal intake manifold gasket makes it in tonight so that I can install the manifold and throttle. I finally found my carbide bit set and sanding flaps last night so I'll have the RBC opened up tonight to match everything.

Here is the reason I removed the side cover
Normally I would only pull the tensioner cover and valve cover to swap out a VTC.

And also got some new(OEM Re-manufactured) from Acura to replace the worn out stock ones that were causing the car to shake.

I'll post some reviews of the changes once I have everything installed. I'm going to be up in the mountains all next week so maybe some go-pro footage ripping down the Dragon.
dinoc likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 AM
Registered Member

Nice, it's coming along very nicely. Looking forward to your impressions of the new set up.

06 | CGP | NAVI | 6SP
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude View Post
Nice, it's coming along very nicely. Looking forward to your impressions of the new set up.
Thanks!

The last of the parts came in this morning with the FedEx delivery to work. Hasport rear mount and the Hondata intake manifold gasket. Going to focus on getting her back together tonight. I'm hoping to atleast have the motor buttoned up and the subframe back in place by the end of the day. Intake manifold and throttle may end up being tomorrow. I haven't had any luck finding a carbide die grinder bit anywhere local and my friend who has one I can use gets back into town tomorrow. I just have to get the bore opened up to match the throttle or installing it in pointless.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Update:

All of the modifications worked together amazing, I will do a little review here of each part soon. I ended up finishing the car on the March 18th and spend pretty much all day every day from the 19th-27th driving. Spent a whole week in the mountains of NC taking in the sights and enjoying all of the winding mountain roads. Made it to Import Alliance on Sunday the 19th for the second day of the spring meet which was amazing (as usual).

Thanks to Killboy.com for the awesome picture of me on the Dragon.
dinoc likes this.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Awesome build thus far. Would you mind sharing how you were able to get remanufactured axles? Would I just contact my local Acura dealer? I have the notorious vibration and am wondering if I should invest in remanufactured or HT's rebuild kit. Thanks in advance!
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamba View Post
Awesome build thus far. Would you mind sharing how you were able to get remanufactured axles? Would I just contact my local Acura dealer? I have the notorious vibration and am wondering if I should invest in remanufactured or HT's rebuild kit. Thanks in advance!

Yomamba, when you call your local Acura dealership they will have two options on axles. They will have new Acura axles or re-manufactured Acura axles.

The Right (passenger) Re-Manufactured Axle is part number 44305-SEA-N00RM List price is $279.85

The Left (Driver) Re-Manufactured Axle is part number 44306-SEA-N50RM List price is $279.85

They also have a core charge so you will want to bring your old ones back to get a refund or take them at the time you pick up the parts so you can avoid paying it.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
No big updates on the build yet.

I'm trying to get together piping to build an intake for the ZDX throttle body. I've been running a filter straight off the throttle with the IAT installed into it. The throttle is huge and it seems like no one local has any 3.5 inch piping in stock to help me build something for it.

Also I ordered the Hasport front mount to finish stiffening things up. That should be here any day now and I'll post some new pictures and an update when I install it.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Have you been able to drive with the axles you got from acura yet?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnierj View Post
Have you been able to drive with the axles you got from acura yet?
Yes. OEM Acura axles are the way to go!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
UPDATES:

Been a while since I logged in here. So there are some things everyone should know.

ZDX throttle body: PURE 100% waste of time and money. Knowing full well there are minimal gains from the larger throttle body I did it anyway because of the low cost to me being a Honda employee. The ECU does not like it. The throttle body fried itself and the throttle position sensor. Also drive ability was never able to be tuned to be smooth with it. Due to the different frequency it operates at it never really matches what the ECU has going on. Switched back to the stock '06 throttle and the car is fantastic. Hondata is who I spoke with tracing down what caused the failure and they advise against the throttle body. So this isn't some made up guess at what caused the issue.

Hasport rear mount kit: Failed on me and broke the block due to the design acting like a lever. The TSX doesn't hang from its mounts like a K swap it is held up by them so the design can put added stress on the block. Hasport's owner Steve took great care of me by designing, building, powdercoating, and shipping a new mount overnight to me. I am still a little pissed I'm short one transmission bolt location but it is what it is for now. I don't think it should lead to any major issues.

New bracket: Still keep the increased clearance but bolts up to the factory engine mount locations.

Damage from old bracket:

Clutch Pedal:
Typical TSX failure...

So that is the headaches I've faced up to this point...
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
And now a real update!

Getting the TSX prepped for paint! Will post one big update with pictures of the whole process as I get more done. I'm busy between the holidays, work, and prepping the car so it will be easier to post big updates every few days over an every day update.

I finally parked the car this weekend and started dissembling it. Once the moldings and handles are off I will finish blocking the car and get it in primer. Will have more updates once the car is apart and masked for primer.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Coming along nicely man! How did the car feel at the dragon? I'm hoping to get out there in the spring. In for more updates

Check out my '04 PWP build HERE!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit View Post
Coming along nicely man! How did the car feel at the dragon? I'm hoping to get out there in the spring. In for more updates
The car felt good at the Dragon. Definitely a lot of room for improvement though.

Brakes:
Currently on PowerStop pads and Rotors. For daily driving A+ review. For Dragon or Track use F review. Just as I finished going through the Dragon and coming out by the river the brakes were gone. Literally faded and nearly useless. That was an easy sight drive just cruising through and getting the lay of the road in the new chassis... not saying I didn't push it at all but I didn't think it was hard enough to experience this. I kept it a little slower the rest of the time just to avoid the issue arising again.

Suspension Review:
The Fortune Auto coilovers have been fantastic along with the progress rear sway bar (still on the softer setting). I won't get into driving techniques and tuning suspension but I'd like to fix the 4.5 degrees rear camber so the rear end can rotate a bit easier and fix some of the understeer. But the coilovers performed great and they were comfortable for the whole trip.

Wheel & Tire:
The Nitto Neo-Gen tires are great daily driving tires but they do lack when you start to push the car. Not something I'm going to change because I drive so much running a stickier tire costs too much to keep up with. May get a second set of wheels to solve that problem.

Overall thoughts:
I bought the car and wheels with the intent of it being a clean daily driver. I then sold the project EG and started messing with the TSX. So the wheels are a little stancier fit than I would like in the rear. The front's fit great and have 1.5 degrees camber. I'd like to get the rear to 1 degree. New wider wheels with different offset once I paint the car should get rid of the 4.5 degrees rear camber and get some more rubber down to the pavement. Since the dragon I've upgraded to heel toe's Spherical compliance bushings and I'm very happy with them so far.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Since I never posted a picture when I installed these.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement