EconoBox's Build Thread 06 6MT TSX (NHBP) - Acura TSX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
EconoBox's Build Thread 06 6MT TSX (NHBP)

I have been searching for a clean TSX 6MT for awhile. Almost 2 years. To be honest, I was being picky. It had to have a black interior, be a 6MT, be stock, and be accident free (I'm not talking needing bumpers painted, I just didn't want a car with a new quarter panel on it). After looking at hundreds of ads nationwide and visiting multiple private sellers and dealers I was disappointed in the cars they had listed. Finding out it had been in a serious accident, or rusted after finally getting there to look them over. I had just about given up on searching for a TSX when a customer at work came in for a service and detail because he had decided he was wanting to sell his. Knowing the car had been serviced here since it had 6 miles on it I jumped at the opportunity and the car was mine before he was even able to have the oil change and detail finished. My new to me 2006 TSX 6MT in Nighthawk Black Pearl only had 92,000 original miles and was completely stock except for a K&N air filter.

Of course I couldn't leave her stock.
Within a month I had ordered a TruHart rear camber kit, Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers, Varrstoen Wheels, Nitto Tires and when everything finally arrived I installed it all the following weekend.

For now the outside of my TSX is done. I have more plans but on daily duty I am on to the task of making her more fun to drive.

Here is how she currently looks. Photo by me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
A couple months later I came across a deal to good to pass up. A technician at work wanted to turn his personal TSX back to stock and seeing how I had just started modifying mine he offered to swap me his Comptech Icebox and his Progress rear sway bar in exchange for my stock parts. Of course I accepted this offer!

After installing the sway bar and intake the laggy drive-by-wire and rev hang had become too much to bear. I tracked down a used 2008 TSX 6MT ECU from friend at a scrap yard in California. Ended up only having to pay $108 for it. Then I got a hold of John fomr Phearable.net and purchased a Hondata Flashpro and the CAN cable needed for my 2006. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of these parts or their install since I didn't find it all that excited to do.

After driving her for a few months I finally passed the 100k mark. She still felt great to drive but I was worried I may end up needing a clutch soon. The pressure plate was starting to make noise when I shifted and the clutch master was squeaking all the time.

I didn't take any pictures of the first modification which was installing the EM2 clutch master cylinder to remove that silly damper that in part of the original TSX one.

After installing the new EM2 OEM CMC I moved on to my new clutch kit. I chose the Competition Clutch 11.5lb flywheel, and their Stage 4, 6 puck sprung clutch kit. I have used this setup in a few previous cars and I have always loved it so I went the same route with my new car.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Definitely in for more. I was on the same boat ó kept looking and looking for a black/black with a 6MT. Finally as I was about to give up, I found an '08 with 93k miles and one owner.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipotleFries View Post
Definitely in for more. I was on the same boat ó kept looking and looking for a black/black with a 6MT. Finally as I was about to give up, I found an '08 with 93k miles and one owner.
I'm really glad it worked out I absolutely love this car.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
I have had some parts laying around since I sold my RSX Type-S a few years ago. I bought all of these parts new from the dealer to install into my RSX when I did a K24a2 swap but I ended up doing the swap twice when the first motor was bad and never reinstalled them to the motor I ended up selling the car with.

Pictured parts:
RSX Type-S oil pump (modified for K24a2)
RSX Type-S oil pan
RSX Type-S windage tray
RSX Type-S bolts (For oil pan, oil pump, windage tray)
RSX Type-S Oil pump chain and guides are inside the pan as well
There is also an RSX 50 degree VTC I already sent another K24a2 VTC out to be machined to 45 so I won't be using this since it is kind of risky in a K24a2.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/CHJ5v5]

I also have a shaved K series valve cover.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
And the really exciting parts just started showing up!

I won't go into detail with the future plans but here are the new TiAL parts.

I have a lot on order. As things start coming in I'll post updates as I install them.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:11 AM
-

Killer deal on the 2008 TSX manual trans ECU. I've been shopping for a deal on the same ECU for years.
Going straight to FlashPro is right way to go.

I was going to post that you had installed way too much clutch for a street TSX, then I saw your last post!

That clutch will be fine!

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (2nd resonator removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryTSX View Post
Killer deal on the 2008 TSX manual trans ECU. I've been shopping for a deal on the same ECU for years.
Going straight to FlashPro is right way to go.

I was going to post that you had installed way too much clutch for a street TSX, then I saw your last post!

That clutch will be fine!
Also keep an eye on Car-Part.com for the manual ECU! I found mine at an LKQ in California. A quick phone call and Paypal transaction later and it was on it's way to Florida. I checked every day for a few months before I found it. These guys (Redline Performance USA-CA(Rancho-Cordova) E-mail 916-853-1122) show to have one in stock right now but they are asking $400 for it.

The clutch has great street manners. Just have to have the RPMs a tiny bit higher than with the stock clutch when you leave a light to avoid hearing it chatter. I installed it now to have some miles on it before it sees the increased horsepower. It's hard to stay out of boost to break in a new clutch.

I have had great luck with the competition clutches on several other cars. Surprisingly the pedal effort between OEM and this is almost identical. I won't say that's a fair comparison for anyone else and their TSX on here since mine was the original clutch at over 100k miles so the throw out bearing grease was dried out and the pressure plates seem to feel stiffer with age. I also have an EM2 clutch master cylinder which may have some effect on that as well. I also haven't driven a car with a stock clutch/pressure plate in years. All of my previous cars have always been modified.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
No major updates. Still just gathering up parts.

My RBC manifold made it in to work on Friday. Just waiting on my TL throttle body. Then I need to order the adapter plate and bore the intake manifold to match.

Next update should be work on the fuel system. I've ordered a bit of stuff already.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Nice build so far. I have an 06 6MT black/black as well. Hunted it down for years but thought it was a pipe dream to find one in good condition with low miles. Glad I was wrong. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out and I'm inspired already!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Stuff....

Looking good man. Love the look. Nice wheel choice.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Very, very nice. Love the set up and I'm looking forward to seeing your build finished.

Just ordered a RBC myself and next I need to get my Flashpro.

TDK Photography

It ain't where ya from, It's where ya at
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithSeymour View Post
Nice build so far. I have an 06 6MT black/black as well. Hunted it down for years but thought it was a pipe dream to find one in good condition with low miles. Glad I was wrong. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out and I'm inspired already!
This just happened to show up at my work at the right time, and check all the boxes on my list, and I absolutely love this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthngSynister View Post
Looking good man. Love the look. Nice wheel choice.
Thanks! I'm working on trying to fit some bigger tires. I'd like to fit some 245s or 255s without altering the look too much. I'm getting ready to play with the rear alignment I haven't modified the rear quarter panels at all yet. I'm hoping to mess with them this week at some point so I can bring the rear camber out closer to 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4eva View Post
Very, very nice. Love the set up and I'm looking forward to seeing your build finished.

Just ordered a RBC myself and next I need to get my Flashpro.
You'll be thrilled with the changes the flashpro allows. Removing the fuel over run (aka: rev hang) as well as changing the drive by wire to a 1:1 ratio and removing the delay have been my favorite updates so far. I'm waiting on a few more small things to come in before I open up the covers to install the oil pump and VTC upgrades. I'll put the RBC on once I have the 45 degree VTC in there.

Actual Update:
I have some maintenance I'm catching up on now before I do anything else. This is my daily driver so some things have been needing addressed for a while and the new clutch went ahead and finished them off.

1: Honda/Acura OEM axles
2: Hasport 70a Rear mount

The jerk from the rear mount combined with the vibration of the bad axles makes the car awful to drive currently. So later this week when the parts show up they will be getting installed ASAP.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
The things we have to do to cleanly install a head unit into a TSX...

Just the beginning of the audio work. Just sticking a single head unit in that I had laying around. Wanting to have a separate subwoofer output and bluetooth that will actually work with my phone. Have adapters on the way to bypass the stock amplifier and to keep the steering wheel controls functional as well.

Once all the plastic weld dries it will be time for lots of sanding and probably a couple of more coats. So far the first coat holding the faceplate in is rock solid. Doesn't look like much now but it should be pretty clean once it's sanded smooth and refinished.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Faceplate got its first coat of primer last night. Some light sanding and another coat and it should be ready for paint.

I started working on the inside of the pocket and modifying it to fit the head unit. I'm going to work on this over the next couple of nights and once I test fit everything I will permanently attach the faceplate to the backing (before painting anything).

Still need to add supports to stiffen everything up but this is how much had to be removed to fit the head unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement