***Ro's '04 6-Speed Build Thread*** - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

***Ro's '04 6-Speed Build Thread***

Hey TSXClub! I've been a long time lurker on the forums and finally mustered up the motivation to create a build thread. I'm more active on the TSXClub facebook group since almost all forums are pretty dead these days, but I'm hoping I can inspire others to post their builds to revive this forum

I previously owned an '06 Auto w/ Navi and wasn't really fond of it (Owned it for less than six months, lol). I liked the car itself, but couldn't stand the fact it had an auto trans. The TSX is a whole different animal when equipped with a manual transmission!

I purchased my TSX in February 2015 -- I was pretty lucky to come across this car, as there were only a handful of 6-Speed models for sale in the Florida area after I sold my '06. Most manual TSX's I was looking at at the time either had a rebuilt title or needed too much work. My car was by no means perfect, but it was a solid platform to start off with and I got a good deal on it since it came with some modifications. Many of the mods were not my cup of tea, but it allowed me to sell/trade and buy the parts I wanted so I didn't have to fork out a lot of money to get the car looking the way I wanted The overall goal was to maintain an OEM+ appearance with somewhat of a budget since I was in college at the time.

Let's start off with my mistake of buying an automatic TSX didn't really do much to it aside from the 18" A-Spec wheels and wrapped window trim. It was a great DD, but not what I was looking for.

Without further ado, here are progress pictures from when I purchased the car to the present. How it looked when I first bought it (Feb 2015). Drove to Cocoa Beach FL to pick it up, about 2.5 hours away from me.

-> 2004 Acura TSX 6-Speed Manual [Premium White Pearl] [Light Cream Ivory] <-

As you can see, the car came with some goodies! Full A-Spec lip kit, Euro-R grille, DEPO Euro-R style headlights, as well as I/H/E and RBC intake manifold. Also had KPro which was a huge plus. The car was definitely nice but I had a different vision for it

Soon after I purchased the car, I wanted to make sure it was 100% mechanically sound as the car was being driven ~40+ miles a day. I took care of the following: (Purchased the car with 142,xxx)

- Cabin Air Filter replaced @ 143,xxx
- Intake piping and TB cleaned @ 144,xxx
- Injen Air Filter installed @ 144,xxx
- OEM NGK Laser Iridium (IZFR6K11) spark plugs @ 144,xxx
- OEM Transmission mounts installed @ 144,xxx
- OEM Serpentine Belt installed @ 144,xxx
- OEM Belt Tensioner installed @ 144,xxx
- OEM Coolant Flush @ 144,xxx
- OEM MTF changed @ 144,xxx
- Oil Change (Mobil 1 5W-30) w/ OEM Honda oil filter @ 144,xxx
- Valve Adjustment at LHT Performance @ 144,xxx

I am currently in the process of trying to compile all the pictures I've taken of the progress of the car over the past two years. She has been a pleasure to own, and I plan on keeping her for a long time. I will try to update this thread as frequently as possible Stay tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

After owning the car for a few weeks, I started changing up a few things and the clean-up process began. I might have slight OCD, because once I start cleaning I can't stop

Ditched the WedsSport replica wheels and found a set of 18" SSR Type-C wheels locally loved the way these wheels looked, but the specs were pretty weak. IIRC they were 18x8 +48

Check out my '04 PWP build HERE!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The OEM steering wheel was extremely dirty from use over the years. I doubt it was ever cleaned before.. cleaned it up with the Mr. Clean magic eraser followed up by conditioning it with Zaino leather conditioner. For those who attempt to clean their wheel with the magic eraser, be careful because it is slightly abrasive. Make sure you scrub very softly with it!

Looks brand new again:

Also removed the back seat and cleaned it up. Found a couple dollars in change, some french fries, and a dead lizard lol

I wasn't really a fan of the chrome strip on the door handle, so I wrapped it in white CF. It's very subtle and suprisingly matches the PWP pretty well from far away!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The car didn't have a proper battery tie down so I went ahead and bought an OEM battery tie down via Delray Acura, aka Acura Parts | Genuine Acura OEM Parts | Acura Parts Cheap . They have by far the best deals on OEM parts!

Old bungee cord tie down, lol

New OEM battery tie down. Don't mind the ballast, that was relocated later on. Don't know why the previous owner placed it there

Slowly started getting rid of the Honda/Euro-R badging on the car. Wanted to keep the car uniform with Acura emblems since the airbag, radio, etc still had Acura badging. Also took off the rear window visor.

Also replaced the old shift knob with a Karcepts 605g polished stainless steel shift knob.

Posted up with a local TSX owner

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Garage
nice! keep those updates coming

1992 GS-R R.I.P
2004 TSX current
team K.O.B.E.
Sneaker Culture Guru
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8thekid View Post
nice! keep those updates coming
Thanks! There's a lot more to come

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

May/June 2015 -- sold the SSR's, DEPO headlights, A-Spec kit, and Euro-R grille. The car was starting to look stock again Bought a set of OEM JDM 04-05 headlights and swapped in a set of USDM projectors to retain the proper beam cut-off, and picked up an OEM TSX grille. A local buddy of mine purchased the lip kit so fortunately he let me borrow his factory sideskirts while I was waiting for my new ones. The beginning of phase 1..

When I was swapping out the DEPO headlights for the JDM headlights..

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Woah that steering wheel looks amazing without the years of sweat and oil in the leather. I need to go get me some mr clean now lol.

Nice work man, I miss build threads like this.

06 | CGP | NAVI | 6SP
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

~July 2015: Got rid of the Buddy Club exhaust that came with the car and picked up a used J's Racing 60RS dual The Buddy Club had a nice deep tone but I wasn't a fan of how it looked. The J's exhaust is a bit more subtle (appearance-wise, not sound wise lol) and I always wanted one so when the opportunity arose I jumped on it it's so damn light!!

As you may notice, the car needed new exhaust hangers here. That was eventually taken care of also ditched the Honda emblem and got an Acura emblem.

That's all for today! More to come tomorrow

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2Lude View Post
Woah that steering wheel looks amazing without the years of sweat and oil in the leather. I need to go get me some mr clean now lol.

Nice work man, I miss build threads like this.
Yeah the wheel felt completely different after cleaning it. IMO it's something that's overlooked when cleaning the interior.

Thanks for the kind words man. I've always wanted to make a build thread for this car but kept putting it off. I used to love going on Honda-Tech and NWP4LIFE back in the day to look at all of the inspiring builds.. I guess I'm doing it for old times sake haha

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

~July/August 2015:

The Blox oil cap that came with the car had seen better days, but the color of the oil cap matched the chassis bolts in the engine bay so I decided to keep it. Removed the Blox logo with steel wool and polished it afterwards. Not the best after picture but it came out pretty well!

After being on the hunt for a new set of wheels for a few weeks, I found a set of 18x8.5 +30 Volk CE28n's that were powdercoated flat black. The tires that came with the wheels were shot so I went with a set of 225/40 Cooper RS3-S tires Absolutely loved the way these wheels sat on the car.

What do we have here?

Threw this decal on the TSX around the same time as well. Today happens to be the anniversary of Paul Walker's death. RIP to one of my biggest inspirations growing up!

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

While I was in the process of finding someone to paint the rear lip, I threw the Euro-R lip on the front end looks so much more aggressive with the Euro-R compared to the A-Spec. Don't mind the fitment of the lip in this picture, it wasn't sitting flush with the bumper due to the the foglight bezel not being trimmed enough.

Since I didn't want to run foglights with the Euro-R lip, I got a set of fog covers for free from a friend and used some gutter guard mesh in place of the fogs.. figured it'd look better with the mesh than just having an open hole. I eventually wanted to make some brake ducts for the car but still haven't gotten around to it :P

Close up of the wheels didn't like the finish at first but it definitely grew on me over time. Reminds me of the Spoon SW388 finish

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Got the rear lip painted after a few weeks! Also decided to get the chrome trim on the grille paintmatched.. after I got it back I went ahead and plastidipped the center portion of the grille, thought it turned out pretty nice. The bumper was dirty in this picture, that's why it looks like it doesn't match. You can also see the improved fitment of the lip here

PWP is a pretty tough color to match, but I think the painter did a pretty good job! Got tired of the rear decklid spoiler that came with the car so I removed it. Might go with the FLP or EDM ducktail spoiler one day. The new and improved booty

Been using Pennzoil Platinum for the past two years with no issues whatsoever. No oil consumption which is uncommon for an '04!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

The car was starting to come together! This picture is from around August 2015. At this point I was waiting for the sideskirts to come in. My buddy who loaned me his factory sides parted his car out and needed them back so I was driving around for a while with no sideskirts Also was experimenting with plastidip on the wheels to see how they'd look in a "mag blue" finish. Only did a pair of them, didn't have the patience to do all four lol.

I had to pull off the headlights once again since the passenger headlight ballast went out. Went ahead and replaced both ballasts with the DDM HID kit. Haven't run into any issues with them so far, fingers crossed!

Picked up a set of JDM tails

~ September 2015: After waiting a few months, the Euro-R sideskirts finally came in! Was very pleased with how the car was looking with the full kit.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

After being content with the car's appearance, it was time to tackle some maintenance items that I had been putting off. The boot on the passenger axle was torn and i was also feeling some vibration, so I ended up replacing the axle, both inner/outer tie rods, and front sway bar endlinks (also had torn boots) with Moog components.

I also came across a complete RL brake setup for sale in FL (Dannyv on the forums) who was putting his car back to stock. Traded my brakes + cash for his RL setup. I wasn't feeling the teal so I painted them with VHT "titanium silver blue" paint. Had my girlfriend paint the letters white since I don't have a steady hand haha. Also installed some Techna-Fit SS lines while doing the brakes.

Unfortunately while installing the stainless lines I stripped the front passenger brake line nut due to using a cheap flare nut wrench tried to break the nut loose with some locking pliers and mistakenly pinched the brake line while doing so -__- I don't have pictures of this due to accidentally doing a hard reset on my phone. Towed the car to a buddies house and had him reflare the brake line for me since I had no experience with flaring brake lines. I'll post a picture of the reflared brake line when I get the chance.

Before and after of the brakes. Also sanded and painted the rotor hubs black to prevent rust.

It was a rough few weeks but the car was feeling great after sorting everything out. Another close up of the brakes:

Was able to get the car ready in time for the v2lab mystery meat in October, one of the biggest events in FL @ Orlando Speed World. Posted up with a PWP buddy

One of my favorite shots of the car. Somewhere in downtown Orlando

Sponsored Links
Advertisement