• 1 Post By Edgeman
  • 1 Post By phen8tk
  • 1 Post By phen8tk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

2006 TSX Preventative Engine Maintenance Help

Hey Guys,

Im going to try this again, since last time my thread didnt go through, maybe cause i attached a pic of my car...who knows LOL.
So I have a 2006 TSX 6 spd with around 173,XXX km and counting. I have been installing aftermarket parts for the engine/suspnesion/exhaust over the summer.
I wanted to do a preventative maintenance on my engine to reduce the chances of my engine blowing up or my TCT breaking. I have really bad OCD when it comes to maintenance with my vehicles.

Any tips or other things I should take a look at would be much appreciated. Currently what I have on my list are:
  • Fluid Flush (Brake, Coolant, Power Steering)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Cabin Air Filter
  • Serpentine Belt (Has a cold start squeek that goes away after it warms up, might be one of the bearings)
  • Timing Chain Tensioner
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Valve Cover Gaskets (What other gaskets should I replace while I have my Valve cover off?)
  • Spark Plugs
  • PCV Valve
  • Anything else i should add on to my list?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I would stick to the OEM maintenance schedule and if your drive your car harder then normal or put a lot of miles on it, you can move some of the services up. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

The only think I can think to add to that list is maybe the PCV valve & engine air filter. I'm coming up on 90K miles, and plan to do most of what you have listed at that time.

I do my (brake, coolant, & power steering) fluid flushes on a calendar schedule, so they aren't on my mileage maintenance interval. You should flush your brake fluid every 2-3 years under normal driving conditions. I have an automatic transmission, so I do three "drain & fill" procedures at 30K mile intervals. I actually spread these over three oil changes. (My last were at 60K, 65K, & 70K miles)

When you pull your serpentine belt, spin all of the rollers to see if you can feel any that feel or sound differently when you spin them.
YYC_TSX likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

If you haven't replaced the manual transmission fluid, might as well add that do the list. No need for a fluid flush for the transmission though, just a simple drain and refill.

Also, do yourself a favor and use the GM synchromesh or Redline MTF. You'll really like the improved shifting feel.

Since you're doing valve adjustment and TCT, opportunity for RSX-S VTC camshaft actuator swap?
YYC_TSX likes this.

2007 TSX 6MT CGP
Wheelwell Profile Link
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
The only think I can think to add to that list is maybe the PCV valve & engine air filter. I'm coming up on 90K miles, and plan to do most of what you have listed at that time.

I do my (brake, coolant, & power steering) fluid flushes on a calendar schedule, so they aren't on my mileage maintenance interval. You should flush your brake fluid every 2-3 years under normal driving conditions. I have an automatic transmission, so I do three "drain & fill" procedures at 30K mile intervals. I actually spread these over three oil changes. (My last were at 60K, 65K, & 70K miles)

When you pull your serpentine belt, spin all of the rollers to see if you can feel any that feel or sound differently when you spin them.
Oh Ill add the PCV Valve on the list Thanks! Yeah might have to clean my Injen Filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phen8tk View Post
If you haven't replaced the manual transmission fluid, might as well add that do the list. No need for a fluid flush for the transmission though, just a simple drain and refill.

Also, do yourself a favor and use the GM synchromesh or Redline MTF. You'll really like the improved shifting feel.

Since you're doing valve adjustment and TCT, opportunity for RSX-S VTC camshaft actuator swap?
Manual Trans Fluid was changed when i bought it 10k ago, Ill look into the VTC Camshaft Actuator swap, never heard of it before are there any benefits in doing this?

Thanks for the replies eveyrone
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

The VTC swap will provide mid range gains in performance (~3k-5k rpm) by allowing more degrees of actuation for the intake cam. Stock VTC for 1st gen TSX goes to 25 degrees while the RSX Type S VTC goes up to 50 degrees. This mod is something that should be considered if you plan to get an intake and header.

Now that I think about it, this mod will be a real hassle. For the 06, it requires an ECU swap from an 07-08 model, a Flashpro, and a custom tune to take advantage of the new VTC.
YYC_TSX likes this.

2007 TSX 6MT CGP
Wheelwell Profile Link
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phen8tk View Post
The VTC swap will provide mid range gains in performance (~3k-5k rpm) by allowing more degrees of actuation for the intake cam. Stock VTC for 1st gen TSX goes to 25 degrees while the RSX Type S VTC goes up to 50 degrees. This mod is something that should be considered if you plan to get an intake and header.

Now that I think about it, this mod will be a real hassle. For the 06, it requires an ECU swap from an 07-08 model, a Flashpro, and a custom tune to take advantage of the new VTC.
Ill skip it i guess lol, this will be a mild build anyways just so i can keep myself occupied till the 2019 Supra comes out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement