04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade

Hello all

I got some extra money and wanted to completely upgrade the current sound system in the acura. Maybe you guys could catch my mistakes before they happen. This will be my first install. I have some speakers from another system I will be re using, current equipment is as follows This has changed a lot but I will update list

front components: Polk Audio mm6502 components

rear door speakers: Polk DB6502 coaxial 6.5"

deck speakers: None/2 subs

subwoofer: JL Audio 10W3v3-4 (big upgrade to what I was planning)

Amplifier/dsp: JL audio VX1000i 5 channel amp

I know I dont need any rear speakers but since I already got them I'll use them for filler and turn them down lower. I'm not too worried about installing the subwoofer yet as it will be more of a modular system. I want to attach the mono amp to the sub box and be able to easily disconnect and remove the sub from my trunk. I'll have straps or a bracket to keep it in place when I'm driving. Not doing this anymore

So far being rained in as helped me solve two issues: discovering I have a water leak, and also finding here it's coming from. Heres pics of my dirty spare tire well. It leaked from the left side more. . . Having trouble getting pics to post normally, also the 5mbsize limit takes a little more work

04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade-20181014_101037.jpg
04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade-20181014_101051.jpg
04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade-20181014_101032.jpg

Heres a clean wheel well!

04 Acura TSX complete sound system upgrade-20181022_115014.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_101037.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	38765   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_101051.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	38767   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_101032.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	38769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_115014.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	38771  

2004 Acura TSX Non-Navi, WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Premium Club Member

Looking forward to pics and your impression of the sound.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!

Last edited by voiddweller; 10-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Using the stock receiver? If so I would recommend ditching the factory amp and installing a line driver and running RCAs from there to your amp. Most people use a LOC from the rear 6x9's to their sub amp but those speakers only receive a certain frequency range (to make up for the poor quality of the factory speaker) and will leave many low notes sounding muddy.

And honestly I would ditch the 6x9s. Even if you throw a full range signal at them via an aftermarket amp they won'd do much for you besides rattle the ever loving shit out of the rear deck.

What I did:

Factory receiver - spliced the front 2 channels on the factory amp INPUT harness to a rockford fosgate line driver. From there ran some RCAs to my rear JL 500/1 amp, and then RCAs from that amp to my JL 300/4 amp.

For speaker wires I wanted to run new wire to the doors but I ran short on time so I ran my speaker wires from the JL 300/4 up the center console and spliced them back into each channel of the factory amp OUTPUT harness.

My set up is Focal 165A1 SG comps front and rear powered by a JL slash 300/4 and a JL 12w6 powered by a JL slash 500/1.

Since my remote wire is powered via regular 12 volt power and not a remote turn on via an aftermarket head unit I also installed a delay turnon module for the amps to prevent power on pops which fried my previous JL 12w6 (learned the hard way)

Also installed PLENTY of 80mil thick sound deadening material to the doors, trunk, rear deck, everywhere I could really. Made the mids sound much warmer and less "tinny."

2004 NHBP TSX 6-speed non-navi with 335,000 miles and counting
Build Thread: https://goo.gl/rTAMlj

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXXXX View Post
Using the stock receiver? If so I would recommend ditching the factory amp and installing a line driver and running RCAs from there to your amp. Most people use a LOC from the rear 6x9's to their sub amp but those speakers only receive a certain frequency range (to make up for the poor quality of the factory speaker) and will leave many low notes sounding muddy.

I still haven't decided if i'm going to keep the stock receiver, maybe in the future I'll replace it. So would a LOC still be useful in an aftermarket unit? Also I plan on running new 12ga for everything.

And honestly I would ditch the 6x9s. Even if you throw a full range signal at them via an aftermarket amp they won'd do much for you besides rattle the ever loving shit out of the rear deck.

I am seriously considering taking them out, but IF I replaced them with 10" subs wouldn't that also rattle my car?

What I did:

Factory receiver - spliced the front 2 channels on the factory amp INPUT harness to a rockford fosgate line driver. From there ran some RCAs to my rear JL 500/1 amp, and then RCAs from that amp to my JL 300/4 amp.

For speaker wires I wanted to run new wire to the doors but I ran short on time so I ran my speaker wires from the JL 300/4 up the center console and spliced them back into each channel of the factory amp OUTPUT harness.

My set up is Focal 165A1 SG comps front and rear powered by a JL slash 300/4 and a JL 12w6 powered by a JL slash 500/1.

Since my remote wire is powered via regular 12 volt power and not a remote turn on via an aftermarket head unit I also installed a delay turnon module for the amps to prevent power on pops which fried my previous JL 12w6 (learned the hard way)

Wow I did not know that.I'm not if this is the right product or how many seconds I should delay it https://www.amazon.com/Delay-Relay-B...turn+on+module

Also installed PLENTY of 80mil thick sound deadening material to the doors, trunk, rear deck, everywhere I could really. Made the mids sound much warmer and less "tinny."

I bought 3 packs of 36 sq ft. of NOICO 80 mil sounds deadener. In hot Texas heat and with the roller it was very easy to install. I'm going to be apply it everywhere I can
BTW your build is awesome! I'm probably going to be referring to it quite often haha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Update, still some heavy rains over here, and while I was taking apart the trunk I noticed water in the spare tire well. So sound mat is put off till I solve this issue.

https://imgur.com/a/n9GgR3l
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDahBeast View Post
Update, still some heavy rains over here, and while I was taking apart the trunk I noticed water in the spare tire well. So sound mat is put off till I solve this issue.

https://imgur.com/a/n9GgR3l
This happens to me pretty often. There are drain holes so it appears Acura expected moisture to collect here. The bigger issue is how easily the drain holes clog with the smallest bits of debris. Try to keep the well clean...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 AM
Premium Club Member

Any update?

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDahBeast View Post
BTW your build is awesome! I'm probably going to be referring to it quite often haha
Sorry never saw this. Thanks for the kind words. Did you get your trunk leak fixed? Curious to see how your current set up is sounding for you.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

great work
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

So you put your JL sub in the spare tire wheel well? Nice! I did that in my 2003 Subaru Forester.

I did a full audio system upgrade on my 1G TSX as well, but I paid an installer to do it, I don't have the time/expertise and most of all, shop space to do this (I street park the car, and learning to do this would involve having my car be undriveable for a long time while I disassembled stuff!).

I got a custom subwoofer enclosure for a 10" JL driver from here:

https://shop.wickedcas.com/acura---2...enclosure.html

You can get one or two, I just got the one and put it on the driver's side. Looks great and I keep my spare tire!

I also got an AudioControl EQ-S to help clean up the sound processing from the stock HU, which I kept for the HVAC controls. It's installed behind the drop-down armrest between the two rear seats. Really clean and stealth.

Powering front/rear sets of Alpine R-series 6.5" component speakers in the cabin is an Alpine PDX-V9 5-channel amplifier; I don't remember if I needed a LOC from the head unit.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

This is the delay module I used btw. Very easy to wire up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement