2006 TSX Radio Issues, pretty sure I'm screwed - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Angry 2006 TSX Radio Issues, pretty sure I'm screwed

So I've owned my car for a couple years now, recently I started slowly modding it, mostly just small stuff, staying on the budget side. About a year ago, I decided to swap all my speakers out for better ones. I took the radio out to see what it would take to put in an aftermarket head unit. Ever since I took it out and put it back in, the radio worked fine, but the climate control button lights didn't work, the clock stopped showing time, and the tuner knob stopped working. I was fine with that, it was a bit of a pain, but I could live with it. I'm a college student, and it still gets me front point A to point B and the radio would still keep me company.

Well I installed a subwoofer recently, it's worked fine for a few months, but I had an awful rattle in the trunk area. So tonight I went to my buddy's house to figure it out. Now my buddy used to install sound systems professionally, and I know a bit about electronics but more about engines. We fixed the sub issues, and took off the rear shelf to dynomat everything. We unhooked the battery so we could get the airbag covers off, better safe than sorry IMO. Now, we get to my real issues. So now the radio will not turn on. We checked every single fuse in the car, tested every single wire in the radio connector, it won't even show the CODE symbol. So I took the radio back out and we looked over the motherboard, there was no burned circuitry, and none of the capacitors appeared burned out. BTW, it seems like every time I remove the radio, something else bad happens. Because not only does the radio not work, not the dang climate screen is so dim, it's almost impossible to see. I checked the radio to see if the backlight had just went out, but no, it just doesn't work. We did everything we could think of electronically, we checked wiring diagrams, tested connections, replaced fuses, disconnected and reconnected the speaker wires. We are both completely out of ideas. We spent 4 hours alone, troubleshooting this and came up with nothing.

Please tell me one of you fine gentlemen have an idea, or a solution on what's going on. Idc about my climate lights, I just want my radio to work. I can't afford to buy a whole new radio from the factory, or even an expensive head unit. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:16 AM
Premium Club Member

It sounds like you verified it's getting power so you may want to spend $100 on eBay or at a local bone yard to get a replacement OEM head unit.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
We looked high and low for a wiring diagram, the wires are so discolored by age, it's hard to tell whats what. We did determine the speaker wires, and the one plug thats for the power and ground for the radio. We tested all the wires, and the red ones fluctuate badly, they don't have a constant flow of power at all. But the yellow did.

At one point I did look into a head unit, but I couldn't figure out how to hook it all up, I'm worried I may end up ruining something that will cost thousands to fix.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Premium Club Member

Use this and post back after determining if you have wiring issues.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
We'll check all that Thursday when he's off work, but quick question.

Does the amp turn on the radio, or does the radio turn on the amp. The reason I'm asking is because, what if the amp blew and caused a surge to the radio, blowing the radio in the process? Another interesting thing, my car is an auto, and the shift numbers light up fine, but when put in auto mode, the D doesn't show. It's like it caused a weird outage in various parts of the main harness.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Premium Club Member

I don't have the wiring diagram at the moment but usually the radio sends a signal to turn on the amp.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 PM
Premium Club Member

Here you go.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
I wasn't sure if the 04 was the same as the 06. But I appreciate it. We'll look over it tonight.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Premium Club Member

The harness may be slighly different, but it should be close enough for troubleshooting.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Garage
Ok, well we got tired of the bullshit, so I went to Walmart and picked up the cheapest head unit they had. It's a Dual, cost me $21. I picked up the appropriate harness, wired it up, and the radio worked fine. We had tuned the sub prior to to unhooking the battery, so it sounded way better than the stock. Granted I can't turn it up really loud, or the sound does distort. From what I've read, it's from the stock amp and the aftermarket radio combined.

So my stock radio is blown. Which is good news, I was hoping it wasn't a wiring problem or something bigger. Anyways, I called Crutchfield the other day, and they actually have a good Pioneer head unit with a screen and car play for around $160. It has great reviews on Amazon, so I'll be picking that up, along with a climate control install that replaces mine that don't light up anymore. But thank you voiddweller for helping me out. Even though it was basically from my own stupidity and Acura's crappy headunit.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Premium Club Member

You're welcome!

I've been very happy with Crutchfield customer service over the years. They stand behind everything they sell.

2004 TSX Base
K&N Typhoon
Over 200K Miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement