06 Non-Navi -> Metra + Alpine ILX-W650 HeadUnit - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

06 Non-Navi -> Metra + Alpine ILX-W650 HeadUnit

Hey everyone, so I've searched the forums in regards to this, but I'm sure it's been tackled before:

The Metra HVAC controls are hideous, and knowing that the Metra kit is meant more-or-less for the Navi models (because their have controls are located along the sides), what prevents me from using the Non-Navi HVAC controls with the metra swap? Clearances? A ribbon cable thats not long enough? (I did read that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

I'll be posting pictures of my walkthrough, I am inclined to figure it out and not use the Metra kit's substitute.

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

The HVAC controls and the radio share a single circuit board that covers the entire front of the radio/HVAC unit. The way some people use the stock HVAC controls is by separating the face of the aftermarket unit from the rest. You mount the face in front of the circuit board and the rest of the radio behind it and use an extended ribbon cable to connect the two. Probably not possible with all aftermarket units. I have seen people cut the Metra kit to use it as the front and I have seen people use the stock front and fiberglass/bondo their own.

There are a couple youtube videos showing the mod.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Ah thanks , much appreciated. I will search for this then, luckily the head unit I'm using is very shallow (it's essentially just 2 inches in depth) so this should work if I'm careful. Will post up info as I go along. If you do find any of those videos let me know .

-Nick

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Here's one I found that retains the backlighting on the HVAC controls (no mention of whether or not the LED clock on the dashboard is also retained):

Per the comments, the guy charges $1K in labor to do all of this, and you have to bring your car into his shop in Birmingham, AL:

https://highvoltagecaraudio.com/

Or, you could see what he did and try to mimic it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement