Tanabe Medallion Exhaust Help! - Acura TSX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sonyfever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Tanabe Medallion Exhaust Help!

Hey guys!

So a Tanabe Medallion Exhaust came up on my local area for about $220.00. Looks pretty good, but it is missing the resonator area that comes with the cat back.
I was wondering if this would still be a good deal if it is missing that part. What would you do in this case, Im thinking of buying it and just going to an exhaust shop for a custom straight or aftermarket resonator on the existing piping.

Would it be worth it? I heard that the Tanabe MT exhaust resonators are very close to OEM size, so if I kept stock resonators I might not notice that much of a difference in terms of performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

A new Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust would would cost you at least $600 more. Is that price difference a deal breaker for you? I highly doubt that a new resonator and piping would cost you $600.

I have that exhaust and ended up replacing the stock resonator with a round Magna Flow resonator, 2.25 inch opening with a main body length of about 14 inches. It gave it lower, throatier and slightly less subdued sound. I really liked it and get even more compliments on it since the replacement.

If it was my decision, I would buy the exhaust and have a good muffler shop make the missing part with a longer resonator. I've tried 3 other exhaust systems and this is by far the the most pleasant sounding exhaust system. It's not as loud as others and in my opinion gives a much lower but pleasant growl.

Last edited by Litespeed08; 09-30-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: correction
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

For sound, this is a good option. Will cost less than new even if you take a few iterations choosing the right resonator.

On the other hand, for performance I do not expect much from these 2.25" catbacks. You will prpbably get a very small improvement in throttle response, but for absolute power, the bottleneck is header and cat on K engines.
goforbroke likes this.

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Good point. I forgot to mention that what also contributes to my exhaust sound is that I also have headers, cold air induction system and a high flow catalytic converter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

For OP, bone stock TSX with Tanabe:
https://*********.com/forums/1g-tsx-...-stock-667069/
Please convert the ***** to a c u r a z i n e...

It will probably gain more if baseline has header/HFC, but then again Tanabe can becom loud with high-flowing front end.

See this video for example on how race header transforms the exhaust noise from mildly sporty to somewhat menancing:

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed08 View Post
A new Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust would would cost you at least $600 more. Is that price difference a deal breaker for you? I highly doubt that a new resonator and piping would cost you $600.

I have that exhaust and ended up replacing the stock resonator with a round Magna Flow resonator, 2.25 inch opening with a main body length of about 14 inches. It gave it lower, throatier and slightly less subdued sound. I really liked it and get even more compliments on it since the replacement.

If it was my decision, I would buy the exhaust and have a good muffler shop make the missing part with a longer resonator. I've tried 3 other exhaust systems and this is by far the the most pleasant sounding exhaust system. It's not as loud as others and in my opinion gives a much lower but pleasant growl.
Thanks for the input! Did you have a vid of it on insta or anything like that and do you remember the resonator product number? Ill probably do this. BTW this is in CAD so in terms of US to CAD then 220 CAD for this isnt a bad deal at all!

I was gonna buy Serge bo headers and cat with the reflash next spring after the winter is over, hopefully having a complete exhaust system by next year
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't have any type of clip of it. I'll be under the chasis this weekend so I'll try to see what info I can pull from the resonator.

I think once you have the headers installed, you'll like the overall tone of it unless you prefer a higher pitch whine.

On a side note, it's going to get louder inside your cabin with an aftermarket exhaust. I installed high end amplifiers and speakers throughout so I ended up lining the floor pans, doors and trunk with vibration dampening material and mass loaded vinyl. Now I can hear much of the range in my stereo without having to blast it. It doesn't get mentioned much but loudness inside your car is another byproduct of an aftermarket exhaust. It's something to think about.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed08 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any type of clip of it. I'll be under the chasis this weekend so I'll try to see what info I can pull from the resonator.

I think once you have the headers installed, you'll like the overall tone of it unless you prefer a higher pitch whine.

On a side note, it's going to get louder inside your cabin with an aftermarket exhaust. I installed high end amplifiers and speakers throughout so I ended up lining the floor pans, doors and trunk with vibration dampening material and mass loaded vinyl. Now I can hear much of the range in my stereo without having to blast it. It doesn't get mentioned much but loudness inside your car is another byproduct of an aftermarket exhaust. It's something to think about.
Sure that will be great! Im thinking of picking it up then just installing an aftermarket resonator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement