Acura TSX Forum banner

Clutch Replacement

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TSXXXX 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm currently in the process of putting a new (used) engine into my 2005 TSX. The question I have as the information I've found seems to have some discrepancies is in regards to the clutch. My clutch before the engine went was fine but the car does have a lot of km's on it so I figured now would be a good time to replace it to avoid tearing it down in a couple years again. So a couple questions.

1. I read somewhere that these clutches are preloaded/preset. I thought this was only the Acura TL's but I'm finding contradicting info.
2. If I decide to put the same clutch back in is there any foreseeable issues with that other than its hard to say how much life it has left?
3. An RSX replacement kit appears to be way cheaper than a TSX replacement kit. Can this be used with the TSX flywheel or do the pins and bolts not line up? Appears to only be 10mm smaller in diameter.

Thank you for any information you are able to provide.

#2 ·
1. I read somewhere that these clutches are preloaded/preset. I thought this was only the Acura TL's but I'm finding contradicting info.
Are we talking preload in the clutch housing? Or just by adjusting the CMC, behind the clutch pedal?
I've put a clutch in two 1G TSX, both were RSX clutches. Only preloading/adjustment I've ever done was to the CMC in the driver's footwell. Adjust immediately after install, and at least once more after ~1500mi. Even if you use an aftermarket clutch, use an OEM throw out bearing.

2. If I decide to put the same clutch back in is there any foreseeable issues with that other than its hard to say how much life it has left?
Foreseeable, no, not without the parts in front of me. If you decide to consider reusing:
Check flywheel and pressure plate for uneven wear or hotspots. If either are present replace all.
Check over clutch disc for any fractures in the friction material, as well as the metal hub/spring housing. If any abnormalities are present, replace.
Mic the thickness of clutch disk friction material. Find spec of new disc and compare. Is there plenty of life?

Personally, if I were you and I didn't plan to go back in anytime in the next 50-100k, I'd just replace everything. Even if I did choose to reuse the old clutch, I would at the very least replace the throw out bearing.

3. An RSX replacement kit appears to be way cheaper than a TSX replacement kit. Can this be used with the TSX flywheel or do the pins and bolts not line up? Appears to only be 10mm smaller in diameter.
RSX clutch kits should be installed with an RSX flywheel. If you can spare the $ and want some performance gain I'd recommend considering a lightweight (chromoly) flywheel at this time. I currently am using a comp clutch 1.5 kit with lightweight flywheel and I'm very happy with it. I'd suggest staying in the 11-12lb range for flywheel if this is a street car or DD. Still simple to drive. If you consider the CC 1.5 be aware pedal feel is somewhat heavier than stock. You could also just install a lightweight flywheel with stock clutch if you aren't seriously modifying the car.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Are we talking preload in the clutch housing? Or just by adjusting the CMC, behind the clutch pedal?
I've put a clutch in two 1G TSX, both were RSX clutches. Only preloading/adjustment I've ever done was to the CMC in the driver's footwell. Adjust immediately after install, and at least once more after ~1500mi. Even if you use an aftermarket clutch, use an OEM throw out bearing.

Foreseeable, no, not without the parts in front of me. If you decide to consider reusing:
Check flywheel and pressure plate for uneven wear or hotspots. If either are present replace all.
Check over clutch disc for any fractures in the friction material, as well as the metal hub/spring housing. If any abnormalities are present, replace.
Mic the thickness of clutch disk friction material. Find spec of new disc and compare. Is there plenty of life?

Personally, if I were you and I didn't plan to go back in anytime in the next 50-100k, I'd just replace everything. Even if I did choose to reuse the old clutch, I would at the very least replace the throw out bearing.

RSX clutch kits should be installed with an RSX flywheel. If you can spare the $ and want some performance gain I'd recommend considering a lightweight (chromoly) flywheel at this time. I currently am using a comp clutch 1.5 kit with lightweight flywheel and I'm very happy with it. I'd suggest staying in the 11-12lb range for flywheel if this is a street car or DD. Still simple to drive. If you consider the CC 1.5 be aware pedal feel is somewhat heavier than stock. You could also just install a lightweight flywheel with stock clutch if you aren't seriously modifying the car.

Good luck!
I can vouch for the Competition Clutch stage 1.5 and CC ~12lb flywheel being a great set up. Perfect for daily duty. Pedal is a hair stiffer, but I DD in Chicago traffic and never have had an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.