how to change shift knob for 6mt? - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

how to change shift knob for 6mt?

i just got the momo shift knob as a gift. when i unscrewed the original shift knob to see how it looks, the shift knob sat too high and didn't fit. anyone changed their shift knob? how did u install it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to LannyMCS Send a message via Yahoo to LannyMCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motr
i just got the momo shift knob as a gift. when i unscrewed the original shift knob to see how it looks, the shift knob sat too high and didn't fit. anyone changed their shift knob? how did u install it?
Are you saying you couldn't thread it on? I though knobs like that came with a bunch of different sleeves and you used a set screw to tighten it to whichever sleeve you ended up using.

As far as any other reason for being too high, if you take off the factory retaining nut and the spacer under that, you should be able to get it lower than the factory knob....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

thank you for the reply.
anyways, that is retainging nut and the spacer??
is the retaining nut locknut (small black nut under factory shift knob)?
where is the spacer located? is it located under the shift boot?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Bethlehem, PA

When I installed my momo knob, I removed the lock nut from the TSX shifter (the little black nut under the shift knob) then I took the plastic spacer (looks like a little black cap) that came included with the momo knob and threaded it onto the shifter itself.

I screwed it all the way down until the top of the shifter was about to rip through the plastic cap. Then I slid the momo knob on over that. Then I wrapped some electrical tape around the metal shifter on the spot where the tiny allen screws at the bottom of the momo knob were going to make contact so they had something to dig into and stay put. it worked great.

Make sure you put the allen screw area cover on before you put the knob on... I forgot the 1st time.

Oh, another reason you may be having trouble is there are little metal "nubs" under the shift boot that prevent it from sliding down too much. That is probably why the momo looks high. I removed the part of the console with the boot, and used my dremel to grind the nubs down so the boot slid all the way down. Then the momo will have room to slide all the way down.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

I know this thread is super-old, but looking for suggestions/recommendations. I bought a new shift knob for my 06 TSX 6MT. I thought I could just unscrew the OEM shift knob to remove it, but it looks like there is a black locking nut under the knob. I'm guessing its gonna be something similar to when I replaced my shift knob in my Integra, where I have to loosen the lock nut in order to loosen the shift knob. My question is, what do you all recommend I use to loosen the locking nut without damaging or scratching it? I used some pliers with three or four strips of electrical tape on the teeth of the pliers on my lock nut for my Integra & it scratched it up pretty good, so I kinda wanna avoid doing the same for my TSX. Any recommendations or suggestions you all could offer for the locking nut, would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!!

- DM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmemenza View Post
Hi,

I know this thread is super-old, but looking for suggestions/recommendations. I bought a new shift knob for my 06 TSX 6MT. I thought I could just unscrew the OEM shift knob to remove it, but it looks like there is a black locking nut under the knob. I'm guessing its gonna be something similar to when I replaced my shift knob in my Integra, where I have to loosen the lock nut in order to loosen the shift knob. My question is, what do you all recommend I use to loosen the locking nut without damaging or scratching it? I used some pliers with three or four strips of electrical tape on the teeth of the pliers on my lock nut for my Integra & it scratched it up pretty good, so I kinda wanna avoid doing the same for my TSX. Any recommendations or suggestions you all could offer for the locking nut, would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!!

- DM
An open end wrench one size above the actual size needed, with a few layers of paper electrical taped inside the wrench, or onto the nut itself. Cloth could work too but even cloth tends to pinch through under enough pressure. The wrench will have smoother surfaces than a pair of pliers, so less likely to mar the surface of the nut. Even the correct wrench with no padding would do way less damage than pliers. Either way, you want a very tight fit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandalo View Post
An open end wrench one size above the actual size needed, with a few layers of paper electrical taped inside the wrench, or onto the nut itself. Cloth could work too but even cloth tends to pinch through under enough pressure. The wrench will have smoother surfaces than a pair of pliers, so less likely to mar the surface of the nut. Even the correct wrench with no padding would do way less damage than pliers. Either way, you want a very tight fit.

I feel like such a fu*kiní idiot...LOL! How did i not think of that..man! 😆

Thanks a lot shandalo!

- DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement