Acura TSX Forum banner

2006 TSX rack n pinion and ps pump replacement

14K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  James Elazegui 
#1 ·
Hello everyone so I have a 06 TSX recently took it in for service and the dealer is stating that I need to replace the power steering pump along with the rack and pinion. What thrower me off was the price I was quoted for 3,450.00. What would be a good price to pay for this type of service the car has 200k miles and I am the only owner. Also is this something that would cause an issue a year or two down the line and again I am in the same hole? Thanks to all the members on here for your responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I'm on a similar boat with you, except I'm wanting to replace it myself. It's a big job that'll have to wait til winters done over here in Canada cause its coming soon.
That's probably about right, its at a dealership so expect them to charge high rates. My OEM steering rack that I was quoted for was about $1650, minus the labour. Will just be doing it myself tho when the times right, my leak isn't too bad but the seal going into the firewall leaks minimally.

#5 ·
Hey guys, wanted to put this as a new post or in the DIY section but am just not good with computers. I have an 04 tsx 6 speed. My power steering pump is going bad. Now we all know how much a factory Acura pump is( around 700$ ). I just couldn’t believe it. So I bought a used oem one and put it on. I drove to the Honda dealership with my old factory Acura ( Honda) pump in hand. I had them bring up a power steering pump for an 04 accord with the 2.4 engine. Low and behold they are IDENTICAL. I have pictures and everything . A Honda master tech had time to come up to service window and take a look at the pumps side by side, he said it’s a go. They are the same. NOW, for some reason the part numbers do not interchange. Parts department said they don’t always have to interchange. Why is this so awesome that they fit? Because it’s oem Honda for 250$!!!!!! That’s a third of the Acura one( even though it’s honda too). If you would like to see pics please get at me , I am trying to figure out how to put them on here. honda part 56100-RAA-A01AM. That’s the Honda power steering pump that is for the accord. I just figured this is some good info. Have I actually put it on my tsx? Not yet. But the used one I bought is leaking now so you can bet that’s what I’m doing. Thanks for your time and hope this helps. Ok got the pics. Obviously my Acura one is the dirty one and the clean one is the Honda pump. Let me know if you guys have questions. Thanks, Taylor

Attachments

#8 ·
I ended up getting going to a small shop and using aftermarket parts and a used ps pump. With the high mileage I have now I just want it to reach 350k miles [emoji28] that’s not asking for much. After getting all the work done now I’m stuck with a weird fan noise from the passenger side when the air is blowing. Any ideas on this new issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Any follow up to that accord P/S working without any issue?
I'm trying to decide whether to go with a re-seal kit or just buying a new OEM accord one to fit our TSX. I know a lot of parts can interchangeable. I just wanted to make sure when doing such an important part for the car.

#15 ·
I just replaced my leaking power steering pump and I think with the new part with fresh seals sprung a new leak on the rack and pinion. I have a slow but decent drip coming from it. Pretty damn pissed right now. Any stop leak oils anybody would recommend for short term fix?

#16 ·
Does anybody know if the steering rack for the accord is the same as the TSX? That differ in part number by the three alphabet characters, but I understand that sometimes that are still the same. There is a huge price different, 1300 vs 800. The inner and outer tierods have the same part number, knuckles have different part number, rubber belows different number too. The accord has a wider track. Any ideas?

#18 ·
Haggag-I'm trying to figure out the same thing!! I know nothing about cars but the fact that the pump is the exact same makes me wonder if the rack is as well. I'm trying to fig out whether the same rack is used in ANY other vehicles besides the 04-08 TSX
bc I've needed a rack & pinion on my 05 since 2011 or 2012 but can't afford replacing it. I've recently started looking into this issue again with hopes of finding a way to prove that this is a p faulty part on WAY too many cars & finally force them into recalling it!! I can't even tell ya how many ppl have mentioned needing to replace their pump then immediately afterwards blowing the seals on their rack& pinion. Anyone who is reading this who has had 2 replace PS components PLZ take a few mins & add your complaint to this site bc the more ppl who do this the better chance we all get reimbursed for the repair!! There are already several complaints about the PS recorded so yours could easily be the one that finally causes them to make Acura issue a recall.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.