2004-2008 TSX Maintenance Schedule up to 300k miles! - Page 2 - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Not to rub salt in any wounds or anything, but it's always a good idea to "baseline" any car that you buy....ESPECIALLY (and I know this sounds crazy, esp a "certified" used car, but...) a car from a stealer..er...dealership.

Remember, their #1 goal is to make profit.
The more they have to spend on the car to make it right, the less profit they make.

Stealerships are masters at dodging the important things, and overlooking them, sticking the buyer with the costs to do what they SHOULD have done in the first place.

Case in point, I was at CarMax awhile back, and happened to notice a Honda Odyssey (fairly new) that had nearly bald tires on it (all 4 actually). WTF?

There is a REASON dealerships charge "dealer retail" and it's SUPPOSED to be for a fully reconditioned vehicle that doesn't need anything.

Again, they will side step this every time to save a few bucks.

In a perfect world (or at least a more honest one) people would be responsible and accountable, making sure things were done properly in the first place, but because we live in a greedy society....

It is OUR job as consumers to check everything and not let them get away with it!

****Interesting side note**** I was looking at an '06 G35 6MT sedan at carmax some time ago (might have been the same time I noticed that Odyssey, not sure), anyway......
after I had taken a test drive and before making any commitments to buying the car, I told the guy I wanted to have the car checked out by an Infiniti dealer (who just happened to be right across the street, literally) before making any decisions.
He informed me that this was unnecessary as they do a thorough inspection and that they have a wonderful "7 day return policy" and if I'm unhappy to simply bring the car back. That is fine, but I still wanted it checked out first (something I do before I buy any car). He said not necessary again. I said "see you later".

Oops, sorry OP for the rant there...lol.

bryman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

So I've seen this link thrown around here a few times in this thread (http://cyforce.org/tsx/tsx-schedule.pdf), but that website doesn't seem to be operating anymore.

Does anyone have this .pdf saved on their comp somewhere? Maybe you could re-host it or make a Google Docs thing....... or just email it to me?

Thanks
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

good work thank you!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 PM
500k or Bust

Garage
[QUOTE=whatsanacura;775535]nice work, now it's time for someone to max out your schedule and hit 300,000 miles

I'm at 392k so far. here's my maintenance logs back to 25K (as far back as I could find)

The Maintenance | TSX Travels "Have TSX-Will Travel"

shooting for 500k
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm totally uncomfortable running 10,000 miles on any oil in any car. My dad has always been anal about changing the oil in his vehicles every 2,000 miles, and has had several over 200,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. One of which was a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis that got up to 285,000 before we got rid of it because the body and suspension were so rotted. Original engine and tranny were still great! We almost wanted to push it down to the end of the driveway and throw it in park and put a brick on the gas pedal just to see how much abuse the engine could handle

Anyway, I always just use basic 5/30 or 10/30 in my cars every 2,000 miles with a new WIX filter, and I'm satisfied with that.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900Fer View Post
I'm totally uncomfortable running 10,000 miles on any oil in any car. My dad has always been anal about changing the oil in his vehicles every 2,000 miles, and has had several over 200,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. One of which was a 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis that got up to 285,000 before we got rid of it because the body and suspension were so rotted. Original engine and tranny were still great! We almost wanted to push it down to the end of the driveway and throw it in park and put a brick on the gas pedal just to see how much abuse the engine could handle

Anyway, I always just use basic 5/30 or 10/30 in my cars every 2,000 miles with a new WIX filter, and I'm satisfied with that.

I would agree with the need for more oil changes on older cars than the new. Based on some of the classes I have taken with fluid power, synthetic oils will never break down like the old conventionals. Synthetic oil is great at suspending the dirt that is too small for the oil filter. So really it comes down to how well your oil filter is built and then how long you can go between changes. Now don't get me wrong your not hurting anything by changing oil as often as you do but possibly costing yourself a little extra money. I have taken this approach the past few years: Amsoil Full Synthetic. It says it is guaranteed for 25,000 mile oil changes. I believe this is for newer cars so I do a 15,000 mile oil change with it. The reason I am doing this with this company is that this is the only company that stats they have the oil filter to hold the dirt for that many miles and so it made sense to me. Below I will include my oil analysis after the 15,000 Mile Interval. It shows that the oil needs changed, but there are no metals in the oil either. My acura is at 153,000 miles and I get 34 MPG Highway with this oil. Its worth a look. They even sell oil a little cheaper for 3000 mile intervals and its still fully synthetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GREGS-CAR-E-I-345603-Sev4.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	19265  
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Autobahn Stormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weee06 View Post
I have taken this approach the past few years: Amsoil Full Synthetic. It says it is guaranteed for 25,000 mile oil changes.
Do you mean this particular oil: www.amsoil.com ??? PDF
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz Waescher View Post
Do you mean this particular oil: www.amsoil.com ??? PDF
That is the company but it isn't the European formula. I use the Signature Blend.

AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

[quote=clymerdude;1261618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsanacura View Post
nice work, now it's time for someone to max out your schedule and hit 300,000 miles

I'm at 392k so far. here's my maintenance logs back to 25K (as far back as I could find)

The Maintenance | TSX Travels "Have TSX-Will Travel"

shooting for 500k
This is awesome! 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement