Auto vs. Manual - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Auto vs. Manual

I'm considering the TSX as a practical commuting car for myself. I like to drive manual transmission cars, but my wife will only drive automatics. She won't be a regular driver, but it still might be useful to give her the option. I have test-driven the auto, but unfortunately none of the local dealers have manuals available for test drives.

One thing I notice is that the manual has much shorter gearing than the auto, so much that the auto gets better EPA gas mileage. Is the mileage difference true in practice as well? What are the cruising RPMs for the manual in 6th at actual highway speeds (i.e., 65-80 mph); does the manual seem high-strung or noisy on the highway because of the short gearing?

Can anyone who has driven both chime in on how big the differences are in performance, and how good the gearbox feels? I'm trying to decide whether I should be practical and get the auto for my wife and the gas mileage, or get the 6MT to make myself happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I have a manual transmission tsx and the engine is revving at 3000 rpm at 60 mph. At higer speeds like 80 mph the engine revs to 3500 something like that. The noise is not detectable. It doesn't bother me. The automatics are usually about 2500 and 3000 respectively. It all sounds the same to me, i had a tsx auto loaner so I could compare, no change of sound detectable. All the same sound in my opinion.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I can't answer any of your questions because I have not driven the automatic one. But I'm going to repeat your words: "get the 6MT to make yourself happy".
The fact that my wife can't drive it is an added bonus

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to johnej Send a message via Yahoo to johnej
That is the way it is with my wife, she knows how to drive a mt but prefers auto.... so my car never gets touched

"Daring you to figure out what the j stands for"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

You guys are meaner than I am. I don't care about my wife driving my car, as long as the baby seat stays out of it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Welcome The Sporty Xtra to the clube

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

i'd say get the mt also. your wife,(everyone) should know how to drive standard anyways. especially if you ever travel across the ocean.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Sporty Xtra,

There are 4 things to know in life...

(1) Typing
(2) Swimming
(3) Riding a Bike
(4) Driving Stick[/B]

Welcome to the Club!

P.S. I have to give up my manual for an automatic too, but the sports shifter is a "compromise"...don't forget your marriage vows "for richer & poorer, in sickness & in health, etc..."
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sporty Xtra
I'm trying to decide whether I should be practical and get the auto for my wife and the gas mileage, or get the 6MT to make myself happy.
I haven't driven a 6MT TSX, but as a manual driver myself, I'll tell you, the TSX's 5AT is an extremely good automatic transmission.

My wife does know how to drive a manual, but she doesn't understand why she should have to shift if the car is perfectly capable of it. So since the TSX is her car, we got the autobox.

The TSX's auto shifts are nice and crisp, and it rarely hunts around for the gear it wants. Also, unlike most 3- or 4-spd autos, it doesn't automatically shift all the way up to top gear at part or low throttle. If you accelerate to 25 or 30 mph, say, and crusie there a few seconds, it will stay in 3rd or 4th so you have instant acceleration without a downshift. After you cruise there for a bit it may shift up if you don't give more gas.

It's also fun to drive in "manumatic" mode, but under most circumstances I never bother because the ATX does a great job anticipating the required gear and responds quickly. It's really very pleasant to drive and doesn't interfere with the enjoyment at all.

In all honesty, if you think that your wife might drive tha car or if you could use a few domestic brownie points, I'd strongly consider the autobox.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
nachob

Wink

Stick. Everybody nowadays drives Autos. Go for the full experience especially since the TSX 6 is one of the best I have ever driven.

Remember, there is no MAN in Automatic but there is in MANual : )
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 PM
The Voice of Reason

Washington, DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sporty Xtra
I'm considering the TSX as a practical commuting car for myself.
I drove down to DC last month, and traffic was about a bazillion times worse than I remembered it was when I last worked down there, which was in the 1980s.

I've driven a stick shift exclusively for the last 22 years and the DC traffic was so bad that I'd actually consider an AT. Problem with the TSX AT is that the motor isn't awfully powerful, the torque curve is really unsuitable for an AT and the performance is marginal even with the 6-speed manual.

Have you considered the Accord V6 EX? With its automatic it's actually a little faster than the TSX 6-speed manual, at least in a straight line.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=113992

1983 Honda HR214 Lawnmower
1988 Honda HT3813 Lawn Tractor
2001 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Honda FG 100 Garden Tiller
2004 Acura TSX 6-speed
2005 Honda Odyssey EX
2006 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2.4 AT
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Interesting. I used to commute to Dallas each day and drive around the area. That led me to get an automatic trans car. I enjoyed the car but missed the stick (have had nothing but mt up this point). I went back to the mt and even in the dallas traffic it is not all that bad. However, I don't drive dallas traffic every day anymore. That is the difference

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Stick. Everybody nowadays drives Autos. Go for the full experience especially since the TSX 6 is one of the best I have ever driven.

Remember, there is no MAN in Automatic but there is in MANual : )
I drove the manual before I bought the automoatic and I can say one thing...the manual is a thing of beauty. I've never seen a manual that shifts as smooth or precise, and I would have bought one if it hadn't been for my bum knee which prohibits using a clutch even though the TSX clutch is one of the best.

I willl testify about the automatic. I shift early and often. It acts more like a manual transmission than any manumatic I've ever seen (and that includes that awful Chrysler...er...Daimler-Chrysler unit--horrible). I decided to take a trip to our capital city on old US Rt. 60. I kept it in 5th gear whenever possible there and back (boring, i know, but I was trying to prove a point). I got 29.8 mpg. The best I had ever done leaving the car in drive was 26.7. OK, not much, but something.

Either way the TSX is the best unknown jewell in the car biz. Manual or automatic, you can't go wrong.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob shiftright
Problem with the TSX AT is that the motor isn't awfully powerful, the torque curve is really unsuitable for an AT and the performance is marginal even with the 6-speed manual.

Have you considered the Accord V6 EX? With its automatic it's actually a little faster than the TSX 6-speed manual, at least in a straight line.
Honestly, the ATX works fine even with the low torque curve of the 2.4. Unless you're used to driving a monster it will not feel slow. We drove the Accord EX V6 a couple times, almost back-to-back with the TSX, and it wasn't enough quicker to make up for the general lack of enthusiasm it generated. The TSX ATX may give up a little on acceleration but it's a way more fun car to drive than the Accord.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:56 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Honestly, the ATX works fine even with the low torque curve of the 2.4. Unless you're used to driving a monster it will not feel slow. We drove the Accord EX V6 a couple times, almost back-to-back with the TSX, and it wasn't enough quicker to make up for the general lack of enthusiasm it generated. The TSX ATX may give up a little on acceleration but it's a way more fun car to drive than the Accord.
That's what I felt when driving the AV6... the car also felt "floaty" (suspension) compared to the TSX...

2006 Lexus IS250 AWD 6AT Crystal White: Nokya Yellow DRLs, 3000K HID Fogs, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, F-Sport Rear Sway Bar
2004 GMC Envoy XL
1999 Toyota Solara SLE 5MT
2004 Acura TSX 5AT (RIP 9/23/2006)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement