The "Center Console Light" problem -> RESOLUTION in post #180 - Page 3 - Acura TSX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tsxdoc
I, too, have had the "center stack" light problem. Was driving at night and blink, it went out. Went to dealer the next morning. They say that "You don't have an appointment, we can't look at your car today, next available appt 1 week later". I convince them to look at it because I had read that several others were having this problem and there was a backorder on parts. They look at car and say "Yes", that the entire radio must be replaced, part must be ordered, will be here the next week. I call the next week, part not here and when I press them on when it will arrive, they tell me that it is on backorder and they're not sure. Talk to service manager, he says that the service advisor I had seen originally had been fired because of multiple customer complaints. Offers to rent me an Enterprise Rent-a-car Chevrolet Cavalier or similar while waiting for part. Will not give me an Acura loaner. I told him that if I wanted to drive a Chevrolet, I wouldn't own an Acura.

Call the 1-800 Acura Client Service, the person takes my name, phone numbers, and brief description of problem, says that a case manager will be assigned and will contact me "within 3 days". When they don't call me back in 3 days, I call again; they say case manager is sick. I speak to a supervisor, he says part is on ship coming from Japan, will take 2 weeks to get there and then to my dealer sometime the next week. Supervisor says there is a national backorder, 25 persons on the waiting list for parts, but says that since there are 25,000 TSXs on the road, this is 'not a significant pattern problem". Supervisor says that the case manager will call me on Monday (talked to supervisor 1 week ago Friday). Case manager has never called me.

It has now been 17 days since taking the car to the dealership and 18 days since the lights went out. Still no word on when part will arrive. This is my first Acura and my first experience with Acura service. Pretty miserable I think!!!
Yes, pretty miserable, on several counts.
Welcome, tsxdoc -- but sorry it's something like this that brings you here.

First of all, this bit about "only 25 out of 25,000" (yes, that's a paraphrase, but that's basically what you were told) -- it's complete BS. From these forums, we've seen that A LOT of the cars have the problem, and it's more and more as we go along. And, what's very important for how to view those numbers, the problem rarely develops early on; usually it takes a while. So.....25,000 might be the number of TSX's out there, but it's not the number of TSX's that have been liable for this problem -- YET. Probably most of the TSX's haven't yet reached the point where they're vulnerable.
And let's also take a look at the other number in their equation -- "25." It's like they're trying to lead you to believe that "25" is the number of TSX's that have had the problem. Obviously the number is much greater. Hell, I think more than that have been reported on these forums. 25 might be the number of people currently waiting for the parts. But a lot of other people have already had their cars fixed, and many many others just haven't brought their cars in yet. I myself almost didn't (as I explained). So, it's a lot more than 25 that have had the problem, and a lot less than 25,000 that have been liable for it yet. I give that supervisor an F in math, and an F-minus in character.

Interesting that you saw the problem happen right before your very eyes. I'm not sure that we've heard of anybody else having it happen like that. Most people just noticed at some point that the lights weren't working.

Seems like Acura must have some kind of arrangement with Enterprise -- that's also where my place sent me when they didn't have a loaner, and I was offered Chevy's too (and took one -- it was all right). A Chevy isn't an Acura, but I was grateful that they would even do that for me. By usual standards, that's good enough, I think. But when you're mad about the whole thing that's going on, I can understand that it wasn't good enough.

I gather that you're extremely eager to get the work done. But I'd suggest that before you give them your car for the work, you make sure that they tell you they know exactly what to do, and that they're prepared to do it immediately, and that they tell you how long it's going to take -- which hopefully will be a day or less. Not that this will guarantee anything, but it could help guard against further problems. If you're desperate for the work to be done, on the other hand, maybe you'd want to give it to them regardless, but I'd rather wait longer if that's what would be necessary for them to find out whatever more they might need to find out about dealing with this problem and to be fully ready. As you'll see if you look at my other posts on this, the work on my car was a minor fiasco, but now (it seems), all is well.

Good luck with it. Acura service traditionally was a lot better than this, and hopefully they will be again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

The 25 number he quoted was the number waiting for the backordered part at that time, so yes it was people waiting. It was not the total number that had broken. So I do think that the 25 he quoted was the proverbial tip of the iceburg. As you said, there have been many reports of this problem on this forum. He talked a bunch about "pattern" problems and indicated that this was not a "pattern" problem ( I have not a clue what that had to do with getting my car fixed, but he talked a bunch about it).

Yes, I was driving by car between cities in a rural area on the interstate; it was dark outside, and the lights just suddenly blinked and went out. At first, I thought it must have been a fuse, but when I got home and read on the forum about others with exactly the same problem, I knew that it wasn't a fuse.

I read about your experiences with post-repair rattles and the subsequent "dead" car. I'm sorry for your trouble, sure hope it doesn't happen to me!!!

I do have qualms about taking my car for repair at this dealership, but in the city where I live, it is the only Acura dealership. The next closest is 3 hours either east or 3-1/2 hours west. So, there aren't great choices as far as getting it fixed.

The last time I was in an Enterprise Rental a couple of years ago, it was a small Chevy, smaller than a Cavalier (I don't know their car line well enough to remember). It was a rattle trap!! I'd rather drive my broken TSX than to be in one of those.

Honestly, as soon as I get it fixed, I think I'm going to change vehicles. I love the handling of the TSX, but I can get handling like that in other cars and get decent service. For example, even an Accord handles pretty well and there are several Honda dealerships close by. Having little confidence in the local Acura service department and not another place to go within reasonable driving distance, I think I need to change. I do not want another experience like this!!!
post #33 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
..... He talked a bunch about "pattern" problems and indicated that this was not a "pattern" problem.....

.....as soon as I get it fixed, I think I'm going to change vehicles. I love the handling of the TSX, but I can get handling like that in other cars and get decent service. For example, even an Accord handles pretty well and there are several Honda dealerships close by. Having little confidence in the local Acura service department and not another place to go within reasonable driving distance, I think I need to change. I do not want another experience like this!!!
Yes -- you hear that, Acura?
This is one of the reasons I hope to hell that Honda/Acura reads these boards -- we are the ideal "focus group," and they can get us for free.
Acura's reputation rests very heavily on quality, reliability, and good service. Garbage like this, if it becomes typical, will reduce the brand to, well, garbage, no matter what kind of AWD or Bluetooth or HP or torque they come out with. Acura, you need your quality, reliability, and good service. And you sure as heck can't afford to treat your buyers as though they were idiots. In fact, by and large we're VERY SMART -- that's why we came to Acura.

And, tsxdoc, even though you're talking about still staying in the Honda "family," Honda/Acura needs to care about things like this.

Can't blame you for being soured on Acura.
I agree that the new Accord handles very well -- but it's not a TSX in that department. Still, I also would choose reliability over extra-nice handling if I felt it came down to that. I would still like to think that with the TSX, we can have both.

And it IS a "pattern problem." Not that I know exactly what that is, but it's pretty clear what kind of distinction he was trying to make, and take it from me, it's a pattern problem.

Good luck -- please keep us posted.

post #34 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Called the dealer this morning and the part has come in. The car is scheduled to be fixed tomorrow afternoon. Said it would take 2 hours. Sure am ready to get it fixed; getting pretty tired of not being able to see those displays. Also, the inside of the car is strangely quite dark at night.
post #35 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Yes -- it's really like a slight nightmare. Like being in a dark elevator with no buttons or something.
post #36 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Orangeblood

Quote:
Also, the inside of the car is strangely quite dark at night.
Not having had a dark interior since n 83 Cutlass, I find my CG/Q TSX rather dark with the door closed pimp light and all.
post #37 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Hooray!! My car is finally fixed. Took about an hour and a half. So far, everything works fine.
post #38 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hooray!! My car is finally fixed. Took about an hour and a half. So far, everything works fine.
Congrats -- must be a relief! Please keep us posted.
post #39 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is still fine -- center console lights working, dash rattle gone.

I hope tsxdoc's car is still good too.
post #40 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Yep, it's doing fine. Interesting, the display on my new radio is just slightly smaller than the old one and is surrounded by black plastic. Not on the outiside, that is smooth, but on the inside the LCD display is slightly smaller. I also noticed that when playing CDs, the LCD display shows "Disc" and "Track" above the numbers. My old one didn't do this. So, they have somewhat changed the radio since my car was built last June.

But, it's running fine and the lights are ON!
post #41 of 389 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.....Interesting, the display on my new radio is just slightly smaller than the old one and is surrounded by black plastic. Not on the outiside, that is smooth, but on the inside the LCD display is slightly smaller. I also noticed that when playing CDs, the LCD display shows "Disc" and "Track" above the numbers. My old one didn't do this. So, they have somewhat changed the radio since my car was built last June......
Yes, interesting. I don't think this has been noted anywhere before.

Maybe in due course we'll hear something about why this was done, and how else the radio might be different.
post #42 of 389 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Premium Club Member

Ugh!

I was out for nice drive in the country on Saturday listening to the radio, I stopped to get gas, got back in the car and the lights were out. :'(

I'm taking it in next week. Wish me luck!

SSM 6MT #3355
M3 Spoiler
iQue Navi
Comptech RSB with ES bushings
Maven Mark One shift knob
post #43 of 389 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 07:04 PM
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Ugh!

I was out for nice drive in the country on Saturday listening to the radio, I stopped to get gas, got back in the car and the lights were out. :'(

Wow...good luck.. Keep us posted.

Now I'm wondering when I'll have that problem too

2006 Lexus IS250 AWD 6AT Crystal White: Nokya Yellow DRLs, 3000K HID Fogs, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, F-Sport Rear Sway Bar
2004 GMC Envoy XL
1999 Toyota Solara SLE 5MT
2004 Acura TSX 5AT (RIP 9/23/2006)
post #44 of 389 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Premium Club Member

I'm also going to get them to fix my seat sliding problem. It doesn't really bother me but I might as well have them look at it while its there...

SSM 6MT #3355
M3 Spoiler
iQue Navi
Comptech RSB with ES bushings
Maven Mark One shift knob
post #45 of 389 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
(9)
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Ugh!

Sorry you've got it too. What a pain! The good news is that they seem to have gotten good at fixing it. And looks like you won't have to wait forever, like a lot of people have had to.

Let us know about the whole thing, including whatever you find out about what they do for the seat-sliding problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement