Vibration at 60 and above - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Vibration at 60 and above

I have a very annoying vibration at 60mph and above. It seems like that is a pretty common issue with these cars. Just replaced all four tires and it has not changed a bit. I am suspecting it is CV axles but my understanding is that what only be under acceleration and my vibration persist even in neutral above 60 can it still be the axles. Has anyone had this same issue even in neutral and resolve the issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:17 PM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Have you fixed the problem? I have this problem as well. I have the infamous 20-25mph vibration under acceleration only, and at 60mph if Im accelerating or coasting in neutral. I plan on replacing my right axle with an oem at $550 (ouch) and hopefully that fixes the problem.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bencunningham12 View Post
Have you fixed the problem? I have this problem as well. I have the infamous 20-25mph vibration under acceleration only, and at 60mph if Im accelerating or coasting in neutral. I plan on replacing my right axle with an oem at $550 (ouch) and hopefully that fixes the problem.
I would suggest checking your tires first. Any cupping will create vibration. Axle vibration should only happen under acceleration. The 60mph+ vibration you mentioned sounds like tires to me.

Do you recently change to aftermarket wheels? From my experience, lighter weight plus lower offset incur more vibration than stock.

I have learned from my own experience that vibration on an old, modified car is sometimes a result of multiple issues. So why not rule out the cheaper sources before committing to the expensive oem axle?

04 TSX AT
My build thread - Comfort Sport Build

Engine
Phase 1: CT-E I/H, 06 air tube, 06 CAT, reflash
Phase 2: 06 intake cam, 45 VTC, RSP IM, FlashPro
Phase 2.1: HFC, 06 RBB IM
Phase 3: ASP header

Others
Tein CST 8-5 kg/mm with revalve, Progress RSB, Alutec strut bar
Skunk2 Front upper arms
XLR8 BBK (ST-41 4-pot caliper/SS line/One-piece slot rotor)

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfever View Post
I would suggest checking your tires first. Any cupping will create vibration. Axle vibration should only happen under acceleration. The 60mph+ vibration you mentioned sounds like tires to me.

Do you recently change to aftermarket wheels? From my experience, lighter weight plus lower offset incur more vibration than stock.

I have learned from my own experience that vibration on an old, modified car is sometimes a result of multiple issues. So why not rule out the cheaper sources before committing to the expensive oem axle?
Brand new wheels and tires put on 7 days ago. Went from the stock 17x7 (215/55 17) to 18x8.5 +45 (245/40) but the vibration was there before I changed them. I thought it would go away after new tires. I知 pretty sure the new oem axle will fix the 20-25 vibration but I知 not sure about the 60mph vibration. A mechanic I work with thought it definetly felt like a tire isssue, but they池e brand new tires. I agree it might not be an axle issue because it happens whether I知 accelerating or in neutral. Not sure what it could be, maybe tie rods, ball joints. Think it could possibly be a wheel bearing? No noises or grinding are coming from the bearings.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Brand new wheels and tires put on 7 days ago. Went from the stock 17x7 (215/55 17) to 18x8.5 +45 (245/40) but the vibration was there before I changed them. I thought it would go away after new tires. I知 pretty sure the new oem axle will fix the 20-25 vibration but I知 not sure about the 60mph vibration. A mechanic I work with thought it definetly felt like a tire isssue, but they池e brand new tires. I agree it might not be an axle issue because it happens whether I知 accelerating or in neutral. Not sure what it could be, maybe tie rods, ball joints. Think it could possibly be a wheel bearing? No noises or grinding are coming from the bearings.
Vibration is very tricky to debug on an old car, too many variables. Definitely try second opinion from another mechanic.

Also try thinking back when the vibration started with your old wheels/tires, and if that the timing coincided with any change you made to the car.

For the factors you mentioned:
- Tie rod: You should feel the steering becomes inconsistent at a wide speed range.
- Ball joints: I don't have first-hand experience with Ball joint issue, but I can tell you the oem lower ball joint is quite durable for a moderately-lowered car.
- Bearing: Bearing issue always starts with a distinctive wheel noise. If there is no wheel noise at all, I would rule it out for now.

04 TSX AT

Engine

Others
Skunk2 Front upper arms

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

get the inner boot kit and repair the axle, or call up Raxles, dont spend OEM money
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I've started having the same problem lately. I found this article on Heeltoe that looks like it might be the answer.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/news/04-...and-fixed.html
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 PM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ye_yeCL9 View Post
get the inner boot kit and repair the axle, or call up Raxles, dont spend OEM money
Yes I've seen the inner boot kit work for some people but my problem is both of my axles are after market so I wont be able to use the kit. I talked to MrHeelToe himself and he suggested only a right side OEM axle would fix my problem, i talked to him about the "Insane-Shafts 500hp axles" that he sells on his site and said that might not even fix my vibration. Most aftermarket axles all come with vibrations one way or another, and I've read of many situations of people trying 2-3 different axle brands that don't fix the problem and the only way to fix it was OEM. Trust me I REALLY don't want to spend $500 on a single axle but this vibration is driving me insane. Have you heard of Raxles fixing peoples 20-25mph vibration? and how much do they cost? Can't find any prices on their website.

Instagram: @CarbonGrayTSX
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Quote:
Vibration is very tricky to debug on an old car, too many variables. Definitely try second opinion from another mechanic.

Also try thinking back when the vibration started with your old wheels/tires, and if that the timing coincided with any change you made to the car.

For the factors you mentioned:
- Tie rod: You should feel the steering becomes inconsistent at a wide speed range.
- Ball joints: I don't have first-hand experience with Ball joint issue, but I can tell you the oem lower ball joint is quite durable for a moderately-lowered car.
- Bearing: Bearing issue always starts with a distinctive wheel noise. If there is no wheel noise at all, I would rule it out for now.
Okay, gonna try to get my car on a lift on tuesday and check some more stuff out. Thanks for the response and input.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes I've seen the inner boot kit work for some people but my problem is both of my axles are after market so I wont be able to use the kit. I talked to MrHeelToe himself and he suggested only a right side OEM axle would fix my problem, i talked to him about the "Insane-Shafts 500hp axles" that he sells on his site and said that might not even fix my vibration. Most aftermarket axles all come with vibrations one way or another, and I've read of many situations of people trying 2-3 different axle brands that don't fix the problem and the only way to fix it was OEM. Trust me I REALLY don't want to spend $500 on a single axle but this vibration is driving me insane. Have you heard of Raxles fixing peoples 20-25mph vibration? and how much do they cost? Can't find any prices on their website.
FYI Raxle quoted me $349.95 for driver - side axle without oem axle trade-in, and 269.95 with trade-in.

04 TSX AT

Engine

Others
Skunk2 Front upper arms

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay, gonna try to get my car on a lift on tuesday and check some more stuff out. Thanks for the response and input.
If you are replacing the right side axle, I would also suggest replacing the intermediate shaft. If you have the vibration under acceleration, then you may have some play in the axle splines that connect the axle to the intermediate shaft. Check the play there, and if there's play, replace both the axle and intermediate shaft.

I have a 2011 6-spd, and I had the infamous vibration under acceleration issue (it was seriously bad). I replaced both axles, and the issue was still there, albeit 99% improved. I then replaced the intermediate shaft, and the issue went away.

The issue is this - when there's play like that with the axle-to-intermediate shaft, they both have splines that can wear out. Replacing just the axle will solve only half the problem. The splines are likely still worn out on the intermediate shaft, therefore replacing them both is the best option. Just a suggestion ;-)

Let us know what happens!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:17 PM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemo View Post
If you are replacing the right side axle, I would also suggest replacing the intermediate shaft. If you have the vibration under acceleration, then you may have some play in the axle splines that connect the axle to the intermediate shaft. Check the play there, and if there's play, replace both the axle and intermediate shaft.

I have a 2011 6-spd, and I had the infamous vibration under acceleration issue (it was seriously bad). I replaced both axles, and the issue was still there, albeit 99% improved. I then replaced the intermediate shaft, and the issue went away.

The issue is this - when there's play like that with the axle-to-intermediate shaft, they both have splines that can wear out. Replacing just the axle will solve only half the problem. The splines are likely still worn out on the intermediate shaft, therefore replacing them both is the best option. Just a suggestion ;-)

Let us know what happens!
Thanks I will check it out next time I get under the car. Hopefully I won't need one since it will just be this same exact situation with OEM vs Aftermarket except intermediate shaft instead of axles lol

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:18 PM
2005 TSX CGP 6-spd Nav

Garage
Quote:
FYI Raxle quoted me $349.95 for driver - side axle without oem axle trade-in, and 269.95 with trade-in.
Hmmmm... Wonder if it's worth the extra $150-$200 for a brand new OEM since I don't have an oem axle to trade in.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks I will check it out next time I get under the car. Hopefully I won't need one since it will just be this same exact situation with OEM vs Aftermarket except intermediate shaft instead of axles lol
FYI, there is no aftermarket intermediate shaft, oem is your only choice.

04 TSX AT

Engine

Others
Skunk2 Front upper arms

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

I had the same issue and replaced my axles and did not fix the problem.

I replaced both front lower control arms with OEM units and new bushings this week. That took care of the dreaded wobble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement