Where did the oil go with this OC? - Acura TSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered Member

Where did the oil go with this OC?

Just drained 4 qts from '04 engine and replaced w/ new filter and at least 4 1/2 qts (the manual says 4.4 qts including filter) of new synthetic. Kept checking the dipstick while car was on jackstands and dipstick showed full. Lowered car & let idle for a couple of minutes to confirm no leaks, checked dipstick and now indicating 1 qt LOW. Then drove it for a mile & checked level upon return & dipstick still showing 1 qt low & no sign of leaks. When filling I carefully checked volume using marks on the 5 gal jug. While I did leave it drain for about 1/2 hour, can't imagine I got all oil out. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

If you were checking oil level before starting the car, the missing oil went into the new (dry and empty) oil filter. Or maybe you only had the front on jackstands? The vehicle should always be on level ground when checking fluids.

I have no idea where Acura got the 4.4qt thing from. I've had 2 1G TSXs and both required about 5.25qts with a new filter. Also, to avoid running your engine with no oil pressure for a several seconds while the new filter fills up, pour oil into the new filter before install, let it soak in, repeat 2x more, then install.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Registered Member

shandalo - thank you for your prompt reply. Yes re: only front jackstands - didn't realize it would make that much of a difference. Also like your suggestions of letting the oil soak in the filter & repeat 2x - never heard that. Have any hints re: when removing the old filter to avoid that oil spill mess?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

No, haven't really thought about trying to contain the mess when the filter comes off. Maybe puncturing the back of the filter it'll drain out in a more controllable fashion, but I'm not too keen on doing anything that might involve metal fragments in my oil system. Considering I always seem to have a leaky VTEC solenoid running oil down the back of the engine anyway, it doesn't bother me too much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

There is a magnetic oil deflector plate for changing the filter. Seventh item down https://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint05.html

Or you can make your own with some cardboard.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Nice... That looks like something I could make with an empty milk jug, a rare Earth magnet and a dab of Krazy glue.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM
-

Changing the TSX oil filter is the worst.

I use about 18 inches of tin foil every time to catch the oil dripping from the filter.
Loosen the filter. Then place the tin foil under the filter and kinda form it so the oil flows down in one stream to the drain bucket.

Since the TSX oil filter is horizonatally mounted, there is no way to put oil in it before installing it.

Our TSX has always taken 5 Litres (5 US quarts) every oil change to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick.

2006 PWP TSX, 6MT. Wifey's daily driver.

CT short shifter. Hondata reflash. RSX-S underdrive crank pulley. M3 lip, debadged.
DIY CAI/K&N filter. DIY exhaust (both resonators removed). Progress 22mm RSB.
Summer: 17x7.5, ET50mm Sport Edition's. 225/50ZR17 BFG Super Sport A/S.
Winter: 16x6.5, ET45mm OEM RSX. 195/65R16 Nokian winter radials.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryTSX View Post
Since the TSX oil filter is horizonatally mounted, there is no way to put oil in it before installing it.
Granted it can't be full, but the filter media (I use OEM A01 filters) can hold quite a bit without the filter being completely full. I hate spilling clean new oil, and the 3x fill I described above doesn't spill a drop if you let it soak in. Generally I start the filter soaking process before even dumping the old oil out, let it soak in while I work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement